Quick Question on Preemie Kittens?

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question on premature kittens even though I never dealt with one before. My friend's cat gave birth a few weeks ago(prematurely) underneath their house. She said she and her family could hear the preemie kittens meowing frantically, but faintly since they were, well, underneath the house. And their cat wouldn't go to them. Her uncle went under to try to find them and he realized they were in a tube that led up to the vent (somehow the mama squeezed in, gave birth, and ditched them) and he couldn't get in. So he left them there and a few days later, they were silent. Her cat gave birth yesterday to seven healthy kittens, thank goodness. But my friend and I have a few questions.

1) Why didn't she go to her babies? Her uncle did try putting the mom by the tube and she heard the babies... but was not interested....even though she was able to go up the tube though, since she's small.

2) How did the babies die... starvation, right? Did they suffer?
3) What caused her to give birth early?

I feel so bad hearing this from my friend, that they gave up trying to get to the babies, but her mom said they may have not been fully developed, but I disagree--they were able to cry out. There were maybe 3, they said, by the sounds of the cries. I can't help feeling angry that they left the kittens to suffer in the tube, instead of somehow trying to get in there.

It's just so cruel! So please tell me... was it just a lost cause anyway? What would YOU have done?
Thanks everyone!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wait, are you talking about two different cats, or one cat having two different litters, several weeks apart? (yes, this happens).

First. IF they were premature for real, their chances werent big anyway. Humans do have good margins, thus premature delivery is seldom fatal. Not so with cats, their premature have much lesser chances.

But you say they both cried, and it took them several days... These could perhaps, even probably, make it.

Second. If I understood right, the same female gave birth to 3, and a couple of weeks later to 7. These first were not premature, but it was such a rare but not unheard of case of two entirely different litters.

Thus, both litters could very well be delivered just in time.

Pray for their souls, and dont think too much.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What Stef said.

Sometimes something funny happens where the cat will mate with two seperate toms, and have them fertilize two entirely different litters.

Sometimes new mothers just don't know what to do with the little ones & will leave them places. It also sometimes happens when the kittens are sick or deformed & the mom will reject them.

Don't think about it too much, it's sad but you weren't involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying.
This was the same cat that did this (not my cats). Shocking to think this could have been two different litters... I feel sad that they might have made it, but they're in a better place now

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other posters have answered your question, I just wanted to add please ask your friend to take mum and kittens inside and don't let her out again until she's spayed.

Mum can get pregnant again right after giving birth, and her health is at risk trying to feed a litter and being pregnant again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

The other posters have answered your question, I just wanted to add please ask your friend to take mum and kittens inside and don't let her out again until she's spayed.

Mum can get pregnant again right after giving birth, and her health is at risk trying to feed a litter and being pregnant again.
I'll pass her the message. Thanks for the concern.

angiepetvet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
as to the lady who is so distraught about the kittens. no they did not have t o die if u could not reach them in the tube mam u pick up a cell phone a house phone an ipad any of these to dial 911....they come and call in animal rescue it is free of charge and those kittens wouls be here today, sp please i am an adopted parent of many many litters preemies included i have one now half a pound they r not easy but animal rescue and care is my lifes work, so next time dial 911 al of u wuld be joyous instead of distraught.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
as to the lady who is so distraught about the kittens. no they did not have t o die if u could not reach them in the tube mam u pick up a cell phone a house phone an ipad any of these to dial 911....they come and call in animal rescue it is free of charge and those kittens wouls be here today, sp please i am an adopted parent of many many litters preemies included i have one now half a pound they r not easy but animal rescue and care is my lifes work, so next time dial 911 al of u wuld be joyous instead of distraught.
Interesting tip, calling 911 (=emergency) and ask the firemen to open up what needs to be opened up.

Next step is of course, to find someone who is willing to work with newborns. Many are willing to call for help, but not many are willing to do this tedious work. And it is often difficult to find someone.

Tx for the tip!

Welcome to our Forums, angiepetvet!

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most emergency services in the U.S. won't do animal rescues. And you can get a fine for calling 911 for what they consider a non-emergency. Sometimes you get lucky and one of the responders will help, but they aren't supposed to spend time and money on animals :(.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see. Not in Sweden either. But it is worth a try to phone a direct call to the local fire brigade (who also does most rescuer like people stuck somewhere.  They DO help cows or horses or even deers or elks stuck, no problem. But perhaps not so eager for cats.

anyway, lets perhaps rewrite the tip, not 911 but instead the local station.

Or what do you say, Angie?