Can I do stuff to "make" my cats become friends?

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I do things to "make" my cats become friends? I can imagine most if not all of you laughing at the word "make" because we really cant "make" our kitties do anything but the question remains. I'd like to facilitate friendship between my 2 kitties. Thanks.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always make their interactions positive experiences. Interactive play with both of them and reward them with treats.

Honestly you know you can't make them, and don't try and make them. Jack and Harley will never be more than aquantances (sp) that live in the same home here who occasionally play.

Leslie

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can play with them together - DaBird is great for that.... you can also work on scent exchange - are they already roaming the house freely?
For how long have they been together? Details please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

You can play with them together - DaBird is great for that.... you can also work on scent exchange - are they already roaming the house freely?
For how long have they been together? Details please?
Well sometimes I play cotton twine (soft white twine) with them but 2 strings confuse them, so I'll use just 1 and they seem to know how to take turns pouncing/swiping

I guess I just want them to love each other "more" versus how they butter up to me individually. Y'know, they're both cats and I'm human so they should (at least in my opinion) love each other more or have higher regard for one another being the same animal. But I guess they see me as the provider/leader. I don't know. They've known each other since Daisy was a few weeks old. Daisy was born in April of 2005. They roam freely, even play chase at night (the play chasing has a dash of attitude which I hope does not escalate). Deep down I'd like to see cuddling/sleeping in the same basket, etc behavior. Oh well.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Laser pointer

It's made Peaches & Tasha best buddies!

However, Miss Kitty is never going to be a cuddly-wuddly-want-to-play-kitten with the other two, it's just not in her nature. Every now and then her a Tasha go for an all-out sumo-wrestling match! (it's SO FUNNY!) which ends in tons of fur being let loose all over my house... but that's the extent of M.K. "playing".

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All good suggestions! One thing that was happening between my cats was jealousy for my attention. So I always made sure to give them both equal love. IE. if they are both lying down on the bed, even if they weren't necessarily close to each other, I made sure to pet them both and to tell them both how much I love my boys and all is well and they get along great. They do "fight" once in a while but that is normal.