Rabies tag

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you actually put the tag on your cat's collar? The tag is so big and falls into her water bowl. The same with the home again tag. I feel I need to put them on there, but she is an indoor cat. However, I can't be too sure she won't scoot out the door. I have only had her about two weeks. She was a shelter cat that I rescued from the local SPCA.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean - I keep my rabies tags in a file box at home, they're just so darn big. Mine are indoor cats, but I worry that they might sneak out (both were picked up as adults strays, separately, about 3 years ago). I do have smaller tags with name and contact info on them, and they're both chipped. I use the break-away safety collars, and mostly so that if they did get out, if the collar stays on, at least people would know they're pets. Most pet owners would, I hope, think to have a lost friendly animal checked for microchips, but I don't think many other people think of that first thing.

The cops in my area do scan for microchips, thank goodness.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's the law here that they have to wear a rabies tag. That doesn't mean ours have theirs on
but that was a collar malfunction issue. They are getting new collars this week & new rabies shots in two weeks

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't wear the rabies tag, I keep the tags in a file. I think because of the size and shape of the tags it would be too easy for them to get caught somewhere. I use a Collartag for most of my cats which is a tag that hooks on the collar like a nameplate so there is nothing dangling. One cat does wear her HomeAgain tag too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

My cats don't wear the rabies tag, I keep the tags in a file. I think because of the size and shape of the tags it would be too easy for them to get caught somewhere. I use a Collartag for most of my cats which is a tag that hooks on the collar like a nameplate so there is nothing dangling. One cat does wear her HomeAgain tag too.
I looked up those Collartags, that's a good idea. Right now Kiki has a small charm that has her name and our phone number. (it's not big enough for any other info)

I put the rabies tag on the same ring with the HomeAgain tag. I may put it on her collar...just have to see. Right now there are two cats missing on the military base where I live.....so maybe I should to be safe.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never used the tags. They're too large. What is a good idea, though, is that you keep every single vet receipt and copies of rabies vaccinations/license. I have a folder for these and those tags are still taped on the papers.
If something happens I have proof of who had what and when - important for when I can't contact my vet.

In fact it's recommended that everyone do this with their own medical information as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I've never used the tags. They're too large. What is a good idea, though, is that you keep every single vet receipt and copies of rabies vaccinations/license. I have a folder for these and those tags are still taped on the papers.
If something happens I have proof of who had what and when - important for when I can't contact my vet.

In fact it's recommended that everyone do this with their own medical information as well.
I know I have all that stuff as well. Hubby says I'm a freak b/c I keep everything.

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know! My hubby says the same about me, but when he needs paperwork, he can always find it. Now how about that?

As far as the rabies tags, the only one of mine wearing one is Cuddles. It does hang way down, but he likes it. He PRANCES when he's got it on! All of my kitties are collared though, and all but 1 has their curent rabie's vaccs. (loudmouth is getting hers in a week when she gets spayed FINALLY!)Everything is on file, though, including pictures of each cat, especially of the belly of each female the day she was spayed. You can never have too much documentation.

Prissy just has a simple heart-shaped tag with her name, my phone #, and then "Rabies vac ###" where I got the number of her rabies vac tag put on the tag. It's not official, but it would show the Humane society here that she has been taken care of. It's the best I could come up with since my old girl won't stand large tags (or bells) on her collar.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to get the tag every year in FL but as everybody posted, I too filed them with other papers. That tag was just ridiculously big & heavy for Ku Ku, she would never ever wear one. Plus, she didn't really need it anyways as she's been microchipped and strictly an indoor-only cat.
I also have 24petwatch tag for her as well but this one is a paper-thin plastic.
Even though it's small, it's not practically made for cats to wear all the time. So, this too, is filed with all the documents.

Ku Ku don't need to get one anymore since rabies shot is not a requirement here in HI(also discussed with vet & decided no more rabies shot for Ku Ku for now on). She now wears this tiny heart-shaped ID tag with her name & other information on.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't wear collars, so the tags are in the drawer. I keep the papers with their names and the tag number in case its ever needed.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitties dont wear collars either..One because the only one who will is Fatman two because we got sick of hearing jingling everytime we went to bed..LOL..But we are anal about the doors in our house and NOONE has a chance of sneaking out cuz Ill kick some butt. But regardless they are microchipped and I have everything for their rabies shot on file.