Favorite artists?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've noticed a lot of TCS members are very artistic. I am not artist and do know much about art, except that I like certain pieces when I see them. Who are your favorite artists of all time, living or dead? Mine are Andrew Wyeth and Edward Hopper. I guess I like lonely images.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Rooms By The Sea by Edward Hopper (love it)!
I guess I like the same things that everyone else likes (Da Vinci, Monet, Van Gogh etc)
but my favorite art is paintings and drawings that I've found in second hand stores by unknown artists. I've found some really gorgeous art!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I have any real favorites but there are some I love the work of.

Dan Seagrave, Kris Verwimp, and Kristian WÃ¥hlin (also known as Necrolord). All three have contributed much to the look of many metal album covers and easily recognizable through their styles. And like other cover artists (including those who do books) their work is probably the most reproduced, ever, with the many reprints and copies of albums sold.
Of course I love Roger Dean's work, too.

As for more art that is strictly art a particular painter would probably be Bosch. I also tend to prefer surreal art.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sister
she's just gone to a big art college back home last week! I'm SO excited for her, I'm a little artistic myself but she is FAR better. I keep bugging her for paintings to stick around my house, who knows, maybe they'll be worth something one day?

I'm a big fan of the impressionists. My brain is working far to slowly today, but there is one of the French revolution I just love and can't remember the name of...

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my favorites are fantasy artists
Michael Wheelan
Roger Dean
Alan Lee
John Howe
i got most of the calendars that Howe and Lee have out and everything by Howe i got autographed by him.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite artist? My Grandfather. I used to spend hours watching him paint, turning little brush strokes into a tree or a river. Here's an example:

This was my high school graduation present. He did natural settings based on photographs then went from there.

I really don't get into a lot of "famous" artists. To me, it's about color and the feelings the picture invokes. Picasso, I don't understand at all. I could go insane trying to figure out Escher (although, his are cool!). Most of the famous artists don't do much for me. Except for some Georgia O'Keefe's work.

Ansel Adams is a photographer I like. I just love the simpleness and depth of his pictures (does that make sense?).

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also a big fan of MC Escher over here, also really like Salvador Dali - especially Swans reflecting elephants

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DeKooning and Kandinsky. I love abstract art. Other than that I like Bosch, far out freaky stuff from hell. He must be the John Carpenter of the 1300's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your answers. Calico2222, your grandfather's painting is beautiful. I forgot to mention my cousin's husband, who welds metal sculptures...I feel guilty for not remembering him. He gave me a gorgeous candle holder for Christmas that is made to hang on the wall...and I can't find it anywhere!
It's not small, either. I have no idea how I lost it and he must never find out!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Kandinsky. Also Salvador Dali. I am not really following any contemporary artists, I just know the big ones but I like geometric shapes and patterns in art.
Lately I've gone back to refreshing my memory on renaissance art, and it's incredible how refreshing the nudity can be. It puts you in such a good mood, makes me want to go run naked in the woods

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Lately I've gone back to refreshing my memory on renaissance art, and it's incredible how refreshing the nudity can be. It puts you in such a good mood, makes me want to go run naked in the woods
I'm sorry, I just had to laugh at that!!
Just let me know which woods your going to run around in and I'll stay away. I can just see it:

(Naked girl running through the woods...

Ummmm..are you ut0pia....hi...I'm calico2222, nice to meet you....shake hands, awkward moment, you go back to running and I'll go back to walking the dogs.)

I'm sorry, I'm tired and the mental image just cracked me up!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(Naked girl running through the woods...

Ummmm..are you ut0pia....hi...I'm calico2222, nice to meet you....shake hands, awkward moment, you go back to running and I'll go back to walking the dogs.)
That's hilarious
Well it WOULD be nice if others wanted to run naked with me. Hey, there is skinny dipping maybe there should be the same thing for people who want to run instead of swim...My brain is pretty tired as well, plus I'm trying to pick on whatever I can to get a laugh or mood uplift, that's gotta be what explains my little odd daydreaming of running naked in the woods right now...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like Francis Bacon's paintings, like Study After Velazquez, and I like a lot of album covers by Hipgnosis.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I like a lot of album covers by Hipgnosis.
I bet everyone would recognize them but most people have no idea what you're referring to. They did create that very distinctive surreal look - pre-photoshop!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

There is a famous painting from the 1800s that has several guys in suits siting around and having a picnic in the park witha nude lady. Very prety painting, caused quite a scandel in the salons. But darn I cant remember the artist
? Was it Monet befor impressionisim?

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's a Manet (a contemporary of Monet) painting - Luncheon on the Grass.