Lucky had to go to the vet today

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, today it was Lucky...
I don't know if you guys remember, I had posted before... She had been coughing for the last month or so... At first I though it was hairballs - so I gave her butter... nothing. Then I gave her Laxatone - nothing.
Please keep in mind that I did call my vet meanwhile - he told me that if she was eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, playing, and her mood didn't change, to just give her some more time to try to see if this was a hairball.
I kept treating her for hairball for no avail....
What concerned me about this cough was that it was not the hacking cough of a hairball; it did not look like the asthma cough either... It is just like the human cough - very weird for a cat! It doesn't happen throughout the day either - instead she has a fit or two a day...
Well - to the vet we go....
He did take an x-ray, and it came fine, didn't show anything to worry about... He said it can be an upper respiratory irritation, for which he medicated her.
There is a small possibility of Heartworm, BUT he said is is highly unlikely, since she show no heart murmur, and the x-ray show nothing irregular at all. He said one symptom of HW is vomiting, and she does vomit from time to time, but it is more regurgitating, from eating too fast - at least that's what I think.
If she doesn't get better with the medication within a week or so, then we will move on to an ultra-sound, which he thinks it is the best way to diagnose heartworm; he said the test is very unreliable.
For what he can see, there is no reason to worry yet.
He gave her a shot of Dexasone with Durapen, and sent me home with tabs of chlorapheniramine.
I just hope nothing bad is wrong with my baby....
Can you guys spare some vibes for my Lucky?
Have you ever had a cat who cougs like that? Like a human?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All paws crossed for a speedy recovery for Lucky. I know a kitty diagnosed with heartworm, this cat's vet only prescribed revolution for 2 years. (not my cat) I know very little about heartworm in cats.

Can someone help educate us?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for her.
Cleo was sick last year and would gag and cough then Oreo got it and it took forever for her to get rid of it.
Sounds like it could be something like what they had.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Prayers for her.
Cleo was sick last year and would gag and cough then Oreo got it and it took forever for her to get rid of it.
Sounds like it could be something like what they had.
Hi Jacky - what was it? This is not an URI though...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was some strange thing that came from Cleo.
There was no runny nose or anything like that.
The vet said it must have happened when she was sent here.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah - my vet said it was very strange too... He asked me if I was using some aerosol in my house, or something that could be irritating he throat - but I am not using anything... So he gave her a fast acting anti-inflammatory, with penicillin plus the antihistamine... I HOPE she doesn't cough anymore!!!!
I will change the air filter in my house tomorrow just in case, and I also turned the air off, and opened the windows - it is raining, so I got som fresh air in
I hope that helps!!!
I get so scared for my babies....

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Yep, today it was Lucky...
I don't know if you guys remember, I had posted before... She had been coughing for the last month or so... At first I though it was hairballs - so I gave her butter... nothing. Then I gave her Laxatone - nothing.
Please keep in mind that I did call my vet meanwhile - he told me that if she was eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, playing, and her mood didn't change, to just give her some more time to try to see if this was a hairball.
I kept treating her for hairball for no avail....
What concerned me about this cough was that it was not the hacking cough of a hairball; it did not look like the asthma cough either... It is just like the human cough - very weird for a cat! It doesn't happen throughout the day either - instead she has a fit or two a day...
Well - to the vet we go....
He did take an x-ray, and it came fine, didn't show anything to worry about... He said it can be an upper respiratory irritation, for which he medicated her.
There is a small possibility of Heartworm, BUT he said is is highly unlikely, since she show no heart murmur, and the x-ray show nothing irregular at all. He said one symptom of HW is vomiting, and she does vomit from time to time, but it is more regurgitating, from eating too fast - at least that's what I think.
If she doesn't get better with the medication within a week or so, then we will move on to an ultra-sound, which he thinks it is the best way to diagnose heartworm; he said the test is very unreliable.
For what he can see, there is no reason to worry yet.
He gave her a shot of Dexasone with Durapen, and sent me home with tabs of chlorapheniramine.
I just hope nothing bad is wrong with my baby....
Can you guys spare some vibes for my Lucky?
Have you ever had a cat who cougs like that? Like a human?
for Lucky.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does sound strange. Poor little girl! I can't offer any insight as to what it might be, but I will send lots of for Lucky to get better real soon!!!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's your pretty girl feeling since you got her on meds and whatnot? I hope at least a bit better...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

How's your pretty girl feeling since you got her on meds and whatnot? I hope at least a bit better...
Thank you so much for asking - she has not coughed at all since the consult, so I have discontinued the meds... Hopefully that was something that irritated her throat... Not sure what though... She seems to be doing just fine now.
The steroids made her very hungry and thirsty for a few days, but it is a short effect one, so she should be back to normal soon.
Thanks everyone for the vibes, we both appreciate it!!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's doing better, but really you should give the full course of the medicine. It could be the medicine was helping!

On the other hand, if the steroid shot helped, she's probably dealing with asthma.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'm glad she's doing better, but really you should give the full course of the medicine. It could be the medicine was helping!

On the other hand, if the steroid shot helped, she's probably dealing with asthma.
That was the full course of the meds - 3 days after the cough stops. The injection had three things in it, one of which was the steroids, it could be any of them... I think something was irritating her throat. The cough was not an asthma cough. It didn't have the hacking - it was almost human like, which it why the doctor ruled out asthma immediately.

EDIT: Received and update from my insurance today: filed a claim on the 11th, the claim was paid today, the 16th... check is on the mail - thank GOODNESS!