Canned food preference

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats, QT, grew up with my sister who fed her canned food and dry. Ever since QT lived with me (it's been 6 years now), I've tried introducing her to raw and home cooked meals. She will have none. Even if I mix it up, she'd rather starve. I have given up so now I put some canned food right along the other one in her dish. It's a compromise. Do you think she will ever change?
I have another cat who only likes dry food. I gave up on that one too.
Oh well, they're healthy and happy so I guess it's fine.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dem kitties can be stubborn!

Dusty will eat dry and canned but the only canned she will eat is Gormet Fancy Feast, and then only the beef or chicken flavors. No chopped, grilled, sliced or gravy. Period.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Clover was fed dry food all her life. When i got her she was three and i was able to get her to switch to wet though she hated it at first. Then i tried to switch her to raw...she refused any meat i got. Until last week i got lamb heart and she quit eating anything but raw!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

Clover was fed dry food all her life. When i got her she was three and i was able to get her to switch to wet though she hated it at first. Then i tried to switch her to raw...she refused any meat i got. Until last week i got lamb heart and she quit eating anything but raw!
That's wonderful
congratulations! I wish I could be as firm as you. It's that they lose so much weight when on a hunger strike, I feel awful.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

That's wonderful
congratulations! I wish I could be as firm as you. It's that they lose so much weight when on a hunger strike, I feel awful.
Trust me it took a few months for her to regard canned food as food. She got canned put down for her to eat and if she didn't eat any she had to wait an hour to get dry. I have tons of garbage disposal cats (7 up in the strawmow with her) so the canned did not go to waste. Actually that made her jealous to see everyone else eating HER food even though she didn't want it
So eventually she started to eat wet when i gave it to her...and now she has moved on too raw. She has got to work yet on eating a bit faster because if she doesn't she doesn't get her fair share. Until she gets faster at eating she has to eat in a large dog kennel.

lilac&higgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I take my 2 cats to a holistic vet and she recommends feeding canned only. (if I want to feed them home cooked along w/the canned she says that's okay) So, I would think it would be fine if yours only eats the canned.

jandkds

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
What kind of canned food do you use? I always did canned and was then told to switch to dry as it was better for them. Now I am confused!