What should I do when Cammy hisses at the kitten?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cammy is not a fan of her new (maybe temporary) sister. I feel bad, Cams is very set in her ways. How can I make this easier and what do I do when she hisses at the kitten?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO there is not alot you can "do". I have had cats that hated eachother when they first met, now they sleep together and are best buds. I would keep my eye on her and be sure she isn't going to hurt the baby. When you try to force things between the two, that could just make it stressful for the animals. Patience, patience, and then try more patience. I would not do anything radical yet such as re homing the kitten. Give them time. Play with them together. The kitten instinctively knows by the hiss that the other cat is not happy with her presence, so she will probably keep her distance. Give it some time. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

IMO there is not alot you can "do". I have had cats that hated eachother when they first met, now they sleep together and are best buds. I would keep my eye on her and be sure she isn't going to hurt the baby. When you try to force things between the two, that could just make it stressful for the animals. Patience, patience, and then try more patience. I would not do anything radical yet such as re homing the kitten. Give them time. Play with them together. The kitten instinctively knows by the hiss that the other cat is not happy with her presence, so she will probably keep her distance. Give it some time. Good luck
Oh no, that's not the reason I would rehome her. I just found her yesterday sick in my parking lot and I'm taking care of her. If my husband lets me keep her I will for sure. I think he will. He's a softy. He just needs to bond with her.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly? Not much. Females tend to take longer to accept any new cat/kitten in the house. As long as she's not beating her up, I'd let it go. In time she will adjust to the new kitten.

Took Ling over 6 months to accept Charlie (he was gotten at 4 months old) - she hated him for a long time and she was less then 2 yrs old at the time. However, with Jack, she adjusted within a month or 2 of getting him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, cool, thanks. I just didn't know if petting her would reinforce the behavior, or if I should try and redirect her attention. I keeping the kitten in the bathroom when I'm gone, because she so small, and so Cammy can't get to her.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the vet say the kitten was non contageous? I'd keep the seperate for a while anyhow, until the kittens symptoms are gone, in case she has one of the bugs that isn't covered by Cammy's vaccines.

Females do seem to be slower to accept an invader in their homes, but once the kitten is up to running around and playing Cammy probably won't be able to resist joining in for too long.

lovelycats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to say that I would let them ride it out. This aggression is okay and as long as it doesn't get to violent, let your cat get to know the situation; soon things will chill out. Cats are sketchy and there's nothing that we can do about it.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Jack hated Pepper for 6 good weeks. He hissed and swatted. Pepper would just drop to the floor and roll over. He finally gave up on that when she started hissing back. Now she hisses at him and he stares in disbelief--he's becoming more and more aware that his reign as king here is being taken over by queen Pepper.

Leslie