TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Who Watched Barack's Speech last night?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who Watched Barack's Speech last night? - Page 2

post #31 of 38
Thread Starter 
Thank you much for the links 2dogmom, I will read them when I get back from church.
Fighting the powerful food industry will be hard. Barack promised change, I could really get behind him if he would fight corruption such as this in government and special interests.
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
I don't think the government has a right to decide what is healthy and what isn't for me...that is MY decision.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes View Post
On the other hand, if they're the main payer and regulator for health care, I can see how it's their business...which is the base reason I have a problem with nationalizing health care. I just object to a system where I freely have the right to choose an abortion but not a cheeseburger (or a high deductible if I don't want to get fined by the IRS).
I disagree with you here, the fact that they are paying for something doesn't necessarily mean they get the right to regulate it. And they have absolutely no proof that eating a certain diet leads to healthier life, thus savings for them- in the field of nutritional science there has not been consensus on what healthy is. There have been and still are huge debates and scientists that are equally distinguished and recognized in their field are defining a healthy diet in completely opposite ways. This is exactly why I don't think insurance companies should have the right to charge smokers and obese people extra. This is another one of those examples where science is jumping ahead of itself- we think we have all the answers to what's causing people to get sick but we really don't, all we have are some made up statistics that show some vague correlation with eating certain foods and getting a certain level of cholesterol in MICE, not even in humans. That doesn't mean crap, but it is being used as the ultimate truth because there is the possibility of making some profit. Who decides what is scientifically correct and what is a fact? it is really none other than the government and big businesses such as health insurance companies, etc.
post #33 of 38
Thread Starter 
Utopia, please post me some links to these "distinguished scientists" that have a different opinin on what is healthy food. Please, I would love to see them. There have been hundreds of studies and all say the same, processed foods are bad, high fat is bad.

So, you would say that this country does not have a huge problem with obesity? You would say obesity is not a health risk? You would say obesity does not lead to any other health problems? Just what DOES cause obesity Utopia?

And, sorry, but if you take government health care you WILL abide by their rules, like it or not.
post #34 of 38
I have posted a link about this before. There is no proof that high fat is bad for you. I agree that processed foods are bad- but they are also cheap so you can't blame poor people for eating them. What causes obesity could very well be the opposite of what the government is trying to say we should do, which is eat less fat and more carbs. It's also what could be causing diabetes on such a large scale.

ETA:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/ma...h&pagewanted=5
it's a good article that references what scientists have to say.
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Thank you much for the links 2dogmom, I will read them when I get back from church.
Fighting the powerful food industry will be hard. Barack promised change, I could really get behind him if he would fight corruption such as this in government and special interests.
If you liked those links you might like this one too on genetically modified foods. We humans would not be the only losers in this, our pets would suffer as well. But this is agribusiness, another biggie that is very hard to fight.
Quote:
Many nutritionists and health experts are linking the rise in human food allergies—skin problems and inflammatory/irritable bowel syndromes— to the increased consumption of GM foods and food additives, especially genetically engineered soy products that contain novel proteins. The high incidence of skin and food allergies, and other suspected allergies associated with digestive disorders and inflammatory bowel disease in dogs and cats may well be caused or aggravated by these novel proteins and other chemical contaminants in GM crop byproducts. I have seen a dramatic increase in these problems over the past decade in the thousands of letters I receive from cat and dog owners who read my syndicated newspaper column Animal Doctor. It is surely no coincidence that the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported, in October 2008, an 18 percent increase in allergies in children under the age of 18 between the years 1997 and 2007. Some 3 million children now suffer from food or digestive allergies, with symptoms including vomiting, skin rashes, and breathing problems. They take longer to outgrow milk and egg allergies and show a doubling of adverse reactions to peanuts.
http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/...d-human-foods/
post #36 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I have posted a link about this before. There is no proof that high fat is bad for you. I agree that processed foods are bad- but they are also cheap so you can't blame poor people for eating them. What causes obesity could very well be the opposite of what the government is trying to say we should do, which is eat less fat and more carbs. It's also what could be causing diabetes on such a large scale.

ETA:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/ma...h&pagewanted=5
it's a good article that references what scientists have to say.
I did a quick check of my posts in this thread and NOWHERE did I talk about high fat being bad for you. I never made this argument. And that is NOT what the government is saying either.

So, are you really saying what it seems like you are saying, "keep the processed foods cheap so the poor people stay unhealthy" Wow

Utopia, just what do YOU think has caused the obesity epidemic in this country if you reject the the hundreds of studies that have been done?
post #37 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
If you liked those links you might like this one too on genetically modified foods. We humans would not be the only losers in this, our pets would suffer as well. But this is agribusiness, another biggie that is very hard to fight.

http://advocacy.britannica.com/blog/...d-human-foods/
Disgusting, just disgusting. One of my three dogs has allergies.
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I did a quick check of my posts in this thread and NOWHERE did I talk about high fat being bad for you. I never made this argument.
Well, I'll be one to say it. High fat is bad for us! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atherosclerosis

And since we're talking about the American food industry, there are some Peter Jennings videos on the internet that analyze that very topic, the health ramifications, etc.

Just Google peter jennings food industry and choose which video you want to see.

I agree, ckblv, when you allude to American healthcare being like a business! I'm glad I eat healthy most of the time. America needs to realize that even a few small dietary changes can be a springboard to better and better choices, and subsequently, fewer health problems. Also known as baby steps to good health. Too bad kids today (and lots of adults come to think of it) are so into MTV, reality TV and American Idol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Who Watched Barack's Speech last night?