Help!

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a problem! We just moved into our new place tuesday night, and the AC has been out till around noon today. It was 96 outside most of the time, and hot inside. A roommate opened the window and Riot got out and got in a fight with a neighbor cat and has a lump on her back where she got bit. But this particular problem started before that, I think it's because of the heat. She's just lethargic. She's not my energetic bundle of cuddles, she's just not the same. She also seems sunken in around her loins, so I think she's dehydrated. I refilled her favorite fishtank, but she won't drink out of it, and i poured her a few pieces of tuna in some juice and water, which she normally loves, but she licked it just a little and then "buried" it. She's just slept most of the day, which is not like her! She didn't cuddle up to me at all last night, she slept in a chair across the room, and she won't sit in my lap and doesn't want to be held. Is she stressed about the move? Is she depressed? Is she dehydrated? What's going on!? She seems to be eating well, but she certainly is not playing. I don't have a vet here yet...

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it the AC is now working? If so, that should start to perk her up. I can understand her not wanting to sit with you or sleep or play. When it is hot, my cats just lay there exposing as much of their body to the cool floor as they can. I even had a piece of marble that I knew would be cool and put it down for them to lay on. Have you tried wet food? Something she would not ordinarily get that she might gobble up. She could receive some needed fluids there. I would definately get the injury from the other cat looked at. Does the other cat have its shots up to date? It may turn into an abcess, then you are looking at antibotics. Take the scruff of Riot's (I love the name) neck and lift it up like you are picking her up that way. Let go and see if the skin returns to its shape quickly. If it stays pulled up, that is a sign of dehydration which is serious in cats. Ask your neighbors or just look in the phone book for a vet. She may need to be seen. Hope this helps. Someone will come along with other opinions. That is the beauty of this site! Keep us posted and good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon with a vet that a pre-vet recommended, because I don't want to deal with an abscess.
The AC is out again now, which is just dandy.
I had more typed up but it froze and now I cannot remember what it was. It's so hot I can't concentrate and my pc keeps shutting off

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Until your AC gets fixed for good you might want to board her somewhere. As a fellow Louisianian I know how miserable it can be in the heat.

It's good she'll get her bite checked out, hopefully it'll heal on it's own.

I see you're in Ruston (I'm assuming with the Louisiana Tech). I'm just an hour away from you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krickette

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

Until your AC gets fixed for good you might want to board her somewhere. As a fellow Louisianian I know how miserable it can be in the heat.

It's good she'll get her bite checked out, hopefully it'll heal on it's own.

I see you're in Ruston (I'm assuming with the Louisiana Tech). I'm just an hour away from you!
Neato! Yeah, I'm in my 4th year here, Biomedical Engineering. I'm actually from Shreveport though! Riot came from petsavers, and Cadillac we found at Eden Gardens, so they're shreveport cats, too.
She seems to have perked up a bit, and I got her some canned food (special treat!) at walmart, and watered it down just a hair, and she's eating that, so hopefully that will help. She was also at the fishtank when I got back from the store, so that means maybe she was drinking. She cuddled in my lap a bit earlier, and I got her a new collar (hers broke off somewhere) and she struted around. It's tech blue with little paw prints, so she's school spirited!