Need Advice - Cat Messing Up Neighbor's Yard

stnycatguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for advice. I "own" 9 indoor/outdoor cats (inherited from my son) and a neighbor says that my cats are ruining his yard. The neighbor first claimed that the cats were going near the bushes but now says that they are going in the middle of his yard on the grass. The neighbor's yard is very well kept and, well, being neighbors I don't want this to continue. A couple of points I want to mention - first, the cats have litter boxes in the house that they use (more in the winter than in the warmer weather when they tend to stay outside more); second, the cats don't seem to relieve themselves in OUR yard (although our yard is kind of beat....does that matter?); and lastly, our accusing neighbor used to have 2 or 3 indoor cats which they would walk in their yard - their cats have since passed away (they have been gone for at least 2 or 3 years) - they would clean up their yard after their cats would relieve themselves. Could this be attracting my cats to their yard? Could this be the reason why my cats would go on their grass? I though cats are more inclined to go in bushes where they are hidden. Any thoughts/answers/advice? Thanks.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your yard fenced? If so, I believe there are products you could put on the fence that they wouldn't be able to climb over, mesh netting perhaps?

My only other solution would be to build them an outdoor enclosure where they could be outside, but not out of the enclosure.

With 9 cats, it really isn't fair to your neighbor to have to put up with that much kitty poo and pee. I really don't blame them for complaining.

These people advertise on this site:
http://www.purrfectfence.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stnycatguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I agree that the neighbor should not have to put up with it but why are they going only in THAT yard (as far as I know). And isn't it unusual for cats to mess in the grass without any cover? If I could find out why they are partial to this one yard then I can proceed from there.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said their yard is nicer than yours? There's your answer, wouldn't you want to go in the nice bathroom?

Chances are yours are not the only cats using it and the cats are territory marking as well as just using it as a spot to relieve themselves - hence not bothering to cover it much. Though in a nice kept yard there won't be much loose grass or dirt to cover with, which is also why they won't be doing it. Fencing them in or making them house cats is the only way to stop it.

But I had some neighbors like yours, cats weren't the problem - they'd keep making not so subtle hints that we needed to hire someone to come in and treat our yard or that we should have ours resodded like they did theirs, and various other things. No one living near them could stand them. They're selling their house now, luckily.

Purrfect fence is a nice... ripoff. If you try to do even a smaller yard in it you'll quickly spend over $1k on it. You can get that netting from any home and garden center, or even order it. The poles are similar to what is used to keep deer out of gardens. Search online for "DIY cat fencing" and similar search terms, you'll find options or examples of how others have proofed theirs. I've done my wood fence in bent garden wire and so far that looks very nice.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that Purrfect Fence is pricey, but the pictures are nice. I'd figure out how to use the mesh and improvise.

Not all cats cover their mess. I have one that throws litter all over the place digging to the bottom of the pan to eliminate, then throws the litter all over again covering it up. My other cat just hops in, does her business and hops out. Makes scooping much easier.

Maybe the cats are using several yards, but only one neighbor is complaining.

We are looking for a house to buy, and I'll be installing the mesh stuff or something similar like a screened in patio then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stnycatguy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the neighbor's yard is nicer than mine but many nearby yards are comparable to the neighbor's....... maybe they are using multiple yards but I am hearing from only one neighbor?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, Strange wings, that bent garden wire cat fence idea is wonderful! We use www.catfence.com and it works well, but the durability I question as the netting will wear through during really bad storms, etc and has to be maintained. I REALLY like the garden fencing--it looks sharp! Guess I know what our replacement will be, when the time comes!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they use polypropylene netting? You can get it in various sizes and strengths. Purrfence use a type. We'll be getting some for the rest of our yard.

We have a back driveway and shop/garage so we have to proof part of the existing fence then put a fence around part of it that is along the driveway. My FIL suggested conduit pipe? with pvc slipped over it - I'm not sure what he and DH figured out for the rest of it. My goal is to spend less than $200 on this, opposed to $1500+

To the OP, if it's going to be a big issue - and can poop can be if someone makes it into one, just look into fencing the cats in. It may cost, both time and money, but it's better than the neighbors finding some way to get you fined. As far as I know, leash laws do cover cats but most places ignore them.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's certainly safer for the cats to be fenced in (BTW - are they all spayed and neutered? If not, they really ought to be so they don't contribute to the homeless cat problem. Can help with low-cost spay/neuter search if you want to give us a town or county).

...but you can also try purchasing some synthetic Coyote Urine for your neighbors to put around the edges of their yard. It's available at hunting supply places. Maybe it's not just your cats!

....In fact, I just googled it and found this: http://www.predatorpee.com/

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by STNYcatguy

Thanks for your reply. I agree that the neighbor should not have to put up with it but why are they going only in THAT yard (as far as I know). And isn't it unusual for cats to mess in the grass without any cover? If I could find out why they are partial to this one yard then I can proceed from there.
It doesn't really matter why they use THAT yard, the thing is none of your neighbours should have to put up with other people's cats using their yards as bathrooms. I love my cat, I love my neighbour's cats but I don't want any of them using my yard as their toilet. I had one neighbour who would stand and watch her cat scratch up the earth around my roses and do it's business. Nasty!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

To the OP, if it's going to be a big issue - and can poop can be if someone makes it into one, just look into fencing the cats in. It may cost, both time and money, but it's better than the neighbors finding some way to get you fined. As far as I know, leash laws do cover cats but most places ignore them.
My other worry would be if the neighbors get pissed because you aren't solving their problem, they just might take it out on your cats.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

My other worry would be if the neighbors get pissed because you aren't solving their problem, they just might take it out on your cats.
Many people in the area I live are like this, though my direct neighbors seem very tolerant. But that could be because they all have animals, the neighbors cats across the street mainly spend time in MY backyard - I don't care.

A little O/T. The neighbors across the street behind my home are related to the woman that we bought our house from. Sisters. Her little white dog was very used to coming over into this yard. We don't make a big fuss over it and the neighbors honestly seem relieved that we're not bothered. Even though the little dog (Oliver?) will come over and poop directly on our driveway - other people might try to hurt a dog for that.