Stupid, Stupid Wisdom Teeth. :(

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate wisdom teeth, I really do. I have never had so much as a cavity and now I learn that all 4 of my wisdom teeth are impacted and need to be removed surgically. Lucky me. Oh, and did I mention that I don't have dental insurance?

I joined a discount dental plan, which is saving me over $700, but the cost is still $2300. I called of bunch of other places, and there all about in the $2500-3000 price range. So much for my college graduation money. I have to have them out and be all healed by October 5th, which is when I start student teaching. As of now, my appointment is for September 17.
I have no idea what to expect... I'm taking 2 days off of work, do you think that's enough?

Stupid, stupid wisdom teeth...

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to be different for everyone. When I got mine out, it went without a hitch, and I was eating soft but solid food the next day and took no pain medications except for a little over the counter ibuprofen. I did have chipmunk cheeks though.
I had at least the bottom two carved out - don't remember how the top ones were removed.

My brother, on the other hand, reacted badly to the anesthesia when his were removed and he was sick for days.

So for me, two days would have been enough, but not for him. And there are occasionally complications such as dry socket, but often if you take care of yourself after surgery, that can be avoided. I think its really really unlikely that you won't be completely better by October though, no matter what happens.

for a hitch-free surgery!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter is getting hers surgically removed on Sept 16. Hers have to be removed in hospital, so medical covers the cost. I was told she needed to take a week off school.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having wisdom teeth is a design flaw, IMO! I had my impacted ones removed when I was 18. There was no room in my mouth for them.

I'm sure you are having it done by an oral surgeon who will put you out for the procedure, right?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

My daughter is getting hers surgically removed on Sept 16. Hers have to be removed in hospital, so medical covers the cost. I was told she needed to take a week off school.
The OP is from the US so I'm not sure they have medical coverage for such things.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you on the wisdom teeth thing..Mine are growing in luckly I have room for them but I dont have insurance either and let me tell you there are somedays I want to rip my head off they are messing up my sinuses and giving me monster migraines...I hate it!! But hey what can I do...I hope all goes well for your surgery my brother and sister never had a problem with theirs so GOOD LUCK

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine had to go just after I turned twenty because I just didn't have enough room in my mouth for them. I think each person reacts differently to having the procedure done. I had two of mine pulled one week then the other two the next week. They were really sore for the first couple of days and I took Codeine for them I believe. Once they started to heal though the process went really quickly and within a month I felt fine. I did however look like a swelled up chipmunk for several days.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the money now, get it done. I was lucky that I signed up for the full dental coverage, instead of the minimum, otherwise it would have cost a lot more out of pocket.

I had mine removed April 30 of this year. Here's the post I made afterwards (I had gotten a migraine the next day): http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196359

All in all, it's better to have them removed sooner rather than later. I wish I had had mine taken out when I was 20, as intended.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I'm sure you are having it done by an oral surgeon who will put you out for the procedure, right?
They said they're not going to put me out completely... which should be interesting. I'm not too good with medical smells. It sounds bizarre, but every time in the hospital emergency room, or in a place where a procedure is being done, there is this one smell that can make me almost pass out. I get tunnel vision, my hearing goes, my blood pressure and temperature drops, and I get nauseous. My dad is worse, he'll actually faint at the smell of rubbing alcohol. So yeah, this should be good.... lol

And thanks everyone for the well wishes! Just think, I had the chance to go visit my cousin in London, but instead I get to have oral surgery! Yipeee.
Hopefully I'll be able to replenish my savings by the summer so I can go.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wisdom teeth suck. I've needed to get mine out for a while...officially coming up on two years, unofficially probably a while before that. I keep going on and off of dental coverage and not being able to make arrangements fast enough, grr...actually there was one time window when it would have worked if I'd had someone to drive me to and from, but I couldn't make a coworker take a personal day for that and I couldn't get in on a Saturday soon enough.

If I had to guess, a Thursday or Friday would be the best day to have it done, so you'll also have the weekend to recover and find out if you need any more time.

Fortunately, through some mutation (Grandma was at a nuke test in the 50s so maybe from that), I only have upper wisdom teeth, so when I do manage to get that taken care of it'll be about half the cost, and at least they're not doing anything to the lower half of my mouth.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really varies from person to person. I had all 4 of mine removed surgically a couple years ago and I didn't have any problems at all. I wasn't really in any pain at all for most of it. I had chipmunk cheeks for quite a while but other than that, I didn't really feel too different from a week before it. The only problem I had was the anesthesia wore off about half way through
but it really isn't too bad for most of it. for a fast recovery.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh. Chipmunk cheeks? How attractive! Can this get any better? lol

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rianna

It sounds bizarre, but every time in the hospital emergency room, or in a place where a procedure is being done, there is this one smell that can make me almost pass out. I get tunnel vision, my hearing goes, my blood pressure and temperature drops, and I get nauseous.
That is called a vasovagal reaction. In your case it's caused by an emotional trigger - the smells probably cause some anxiety even if you do not realize it.

You need to let the dentist know that you have these. Some people's BP falls dangerously low and others even have their heart momentarily stop when they faint.

The problem is that they will be giving you anesthetics that can make this reaction worse - such as your blood pressure falling more. Epinephrine, used to cause localized vasoconstriction and hold the locals in place, can also trigger vasovagal syncope in those sensitive to it. So you may want to ask if they can avoid using it.

I have a type of vasovagal syncope that is trigger by orthostatic stress (standing) and also have problems with tachycardia and constant low BP. I'm very sensitive to epinephrine and make sure to inform dentists and doctors of this to avoid issues. I still haven't gotten my wisdom teeth out due to being paranoid about this, and because I have NO means of pain control after.

Good luck with yours, I hope you have no problems what so ever and it heals well.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That is called a vasovagal reaction. In your case it's caused by an emotional trigger - the smells probably cause some anxiety even if you do not realize it.
That's very interesting. Doctors have never believed me when I tell them that a smell can be the trigger to the reaction. As soon as I get away from it, it's like a switch, and I'm fine. Last time I was the ER, I told the nurse who was drawing my blood that and she just thought I was afraid of needles, which I'm not. I said, "Fine, you 'll see." I just sat there, completely calm and didn't say a word. Within a minute she could see the visible difference in me and called for like a million people. I would have laughed at the sudden fuss over me if I wasn't fighting off passing out.

I'm defiantly going to let the dentist know. I've never been in a position where I couldn't get away from the smell and I'll be trapped during the surgery. Thanks for giving me a name. I've always wondered what it was called.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth (plus 2 of my 12 year molars, lucky me!) extracted the summer before my senior year of high school. Ouuuuuuuch!! It was awful. I was pretty much out of commission for 4 days. Now I'm a weenie when it comes to pain and I did have 6 teeth extracted rather than the normal 2 or 4, so maybe I'm the exception.

Enjoy your mashed potatoes and fried beans,
. Oh and I found that Marie Calendar's frozen dinner called Alfredo Bake (or something like that) was mushy enough to eat and actually had some flavor. However, I have never touched one since, I had enough for a lifetime that week,

Best advice I can give you is flush the incision out after EVERYTHING you eat. And even when you haven't eaten just for good measure. They can get pretty nasty.

Best of luck to you!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rianna

That's very interesting. Doctors have never believed me when I tell them that a smell can be the trigger to the reaction. As soon as I get away from it, it's like a switch, and I'm fine.

I'm defiantly going to let the dentist know. I've never been in a position where I couldn't get away from the smell and I'll be trapped during the surgery. Thanks for giving me a name. I've always wondered what it was called.
There are several things that can be triggers for it. Like I suggested, your's could be emotion related. Take your pulse whenever you walk into some medical facility, then compare to say walking into your home. If you're pulse is higher (and most peoples will be) you're anxious - you can't help it.
Some people are just more sensitive to what that normal anxiety will do to them.

Try just saying something more vague like "medical procedures can cause me to faint" or "I have vasovagal reactions to medical procedures", there's always going to be that medical smell so they won't know the difference.

I hope the info helps and you can make it through this. Ask them to keep an eye on your pulse and blood pressure.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When they say they aren't going to put you out completely, they might mean Concious Sedation. Technically, you aren't anesthetized. But, for all intents and purposes, you're OUT. You can't remember anything. That's what I had and it was great. My brother was afraid to be medicated, so he asked to only have Novocaine. For the record, he says he DOES NOT recommend that, LOL.

The pain wasn't too bad for me. Just a bit achy for a few days.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had mine done this April!

I was TERRIFIED of it, to say the least.... but I was worried for NO reason, it went well.

They took me to a room and gave me a shot in my vein... and I was out! I had all 4 removed. I bled alot, but was told it was normal, I didn't care since it didn't hurt. Plan on going to bed after surgery though, LOL. You can not drive after they know you out. I selt the whole ride home, got home and slept for 3 more hours.... that was some of the BEST sleep I have ever had, lol. Deep, deep sleep.

I was never in any pain, my gums just felt slightly raw. Next day I ate fried fish, LOL. After that I ate normal. Didn't take anything for pain, they did give me Perkaset (sp) but I didn't need it. I also got Antibiotics and Ibprofen, I took the Ibprofen for minor swelling.

You will have holes in your mouth where your wisdoms were, my wisdom teeth never got past the gum line (in fact I only could see part of one, the other 3 were under the gum) and I had holes. The holes take forever to heal completely, I still have healing to do, which is normal.

Good Luck! I promise that it's not nearly as bad as it sounds!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. I have one that needs to come out now..in October I have an appointment for them to check it. But I know it has to come out because it is hurting.

I think alot of people would rather have 4 out all at once to get it over with..I know it is painful, but they give you drugs so its not so bad

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

My brother was afraid to be medicated, so he asked to only have Novocaine. For the record, he says he DOES NOT recommend that, LOL.
I had a dentist suggest mine be taken out this way. That it would be quicker and easier. Considering that your bother must have felt it I'm pretty sure it would be a terrible idea for myself.
Locals don't fully work on me, just enough so that the pain isn't too bad (I have a high pain tolerance anyways).
I apparently don't metabolize a lot of drugs used for pain control very well, and now I take a drug that actually blocks them from metabolizing even more.

I also worry that the other route would be bad. If it's anything like actual surgery they would have a big blood pressure drop from me...
This makes normal worries worse - it's not pain that worries me but instead my health issues.