Called in sick...To my DENTAL appointment

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could not make myself go. Back molar root cleaning. I could not make my feet move towards the door to go. The office was peaved when I called, it was real short notice. "Next time you will be charged" , she said. I am such a wimp. I am older now and such things need to be done. I hate that pick thing where they judge the depth of your gums on each tooth. Torture.

Funny thing is that I felt guilty, like I was calling in sick for work just to get a day off. Dont know what I am going to tell Hubby, last thing he said to me today was, "good luck at the dentist".

Is there a word for Dentist-phobia?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a dentist that gives you happy gas or some other mild sedative. Check the yellow pages. There must be one in your area.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in the dental field and can understand where you are coming from. You can find dentists that do "sedation dentistry". They give you something to calm you and make the procedure less painful also. Might be worth looking into. There are dentist out there that focus their practice on people with phobias, might be worth looking into also. Don't be afriad to share your fears with them, they have heard it all and a compassionate office will have the skills to address these concerns and be understanding.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have someone who would be willing to go with you? Both to keep you from backing out and to keep you calmer? Then go make a day of it after? I bet that would help a lot.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I WISH I had called in sick to my dental appointment. I had to have 4 cavities filled today...or so they say. My teeth hurt worse now than they did before. I can't even drink anything
I didn't have my first cavity until I was 25 and not one since and all of the sudden in the last 6 months I have gotten four? I don't know how that happens, but okay. Maybe stress causes cavities....in that case I'd have a mouth full.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

I WISH I had called in sick to my dental appointment. I had to have 4 cavities filled today...or so they say. My teeth hurt worse now than they did before. I can't even drink anything
I didn't have my first cavity until I was 25 and not one since and all of the sudden in the last 6 months I have gotten four? I don't know how that happens, but okay. Maybe stress causes cavities....in that case I'd have a mouth full.
Do you have dry mouth? or possibly have had some hormonal changes of any type?

Why can't you drink? Just the pain being a problem? If so, you could try luke warm/room temp so any fluids don't make your teeth hurt more. You need to make sure you don't dehydrated tonight, though, otherwise the pain you're in now could mix with a bad headache by tomorrow.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the same way, I need to be sedated...lol and I definitely feel like a whimp about it!! I am too self conscious and shy to go ask to be sedated because that makes me feel pretty bad about myself, not being able to handle such a small discomfort but at the same time I am terrified of going in that chair!! So yea I was so nervous when I went to the dentist last time I was SHAKING. The dentist was probably thinking this person is not mentally stable...And it sucks how they charge you extra for the sedation. I'm lucky I have understanding parents who will pay for it but I can't imagine what I'd do if I had to get my own dental insurance and pay it myself I'd probably be stuck with the most basic services..probably not even anesthesia for the cavity drilling..

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do you have dry mouth? or possibly have had some hormonal changes of any type?

Why can't you drink? Just the pain being a problem? If so, you could try luke warm/room temp so any fluids don't make your teeth hurt more. You need to make sure you don't dehydrated tonight, though, otherwise the pain you're in now could mix with a bad headache by tomorrow.
My soda hurt my teeth last night. I should probably give those things up anyway. However, when I flossed between my front two teeth (which is where I had one cavity filled) I had this horrible sharp pain when the floss touched it. I bet if I could jump out of my skin I would have. I have only had one previous cavity and I don't remember it hurting like this afterwards.

I'm sure I have dry mouth and I grind my teeth when I sleep. So much so I have exposed the dentin on two of my lower teeth. My next step is to get a nightguard, but I have to wait and see how much $$ it will cost.

As far as hormone chages...my hormones change everyday. I'm always stressed especially since my stepson came to live with us and my oldest daughter turned 13, and my youngest turned 2.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

My soda hurt my teeth last night. I should probably give those things up anyway. However, when I flossed between my front two teeth (which is where I had one cavity filled) I had this horrible sharp pain when the floss touched it. I bet if I could jump out of my skin I would have. I have only had one previous cavity and I don't remember it hurting like this afterwards.

I'm sure I have dry mouth and I grind my teeth when I sleep. So much so I have exposed the dentin on two of my lower teeth. My next step is to get a nightguard, but I have to wait and see how much $$ it will cost.

As far as hormone chages...my hormones change everyday. I'm always stressed especially since my stepson came to live with us and my oldest daughter turned 13, and my youngest turned 2.
Maybe check into a water pick if flossing hurts?
Your gums are probably a bit swollen today, maybe the dentist was poking around more this time than last time. I remember when I had my front right tooth filled, and later root canaled (if you didn't have a root canal, keep a close eye on that tooth as you may eventually need it) that the gum around it did swell. Though the first dentist that filled it messed up too - he was much too rough giving the shots of local.
If you sleep with your mouth open at all, you'll get some dry mouth problems. It can really speed up the damage done to teeth, just like all that grinding does.
As for hormones, I also meant thyroid, cortisol, etc - anything that can throw a person's body off.

I hope you can get a nightgaurd. My mother grinds her teeth in her sleep and I've been telling her since I was little that she should do something about it (you could hear her from across a room!). She has more teeth and TMJ issues now.

If you can, take a couple ibuprofen. If there's some swelling in the gums that should help a little.

Originally Posted by ut0pia

I I'm lucky I have understanding parents who will pay for it but I can't imagine what I'd do if I had to get my own dental insurance and pay it myself I'd probably be stuck with the most basic services..probably not even anesthesia for the cavity drilling..
You mean the locals? I don't think any dentist would really want to do that.
There are plenty of dentist who cater to those who have a lot of problems or even phobias. If needed (and to the OP too) find one that will be best for you and let them know how difficult dental procedures are for you.