Shampoo and Conditioner!?!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I just took a shower and its starting to really bug me that I cant find anything to pump some moisture back into my hair. Its really dry but if I dont wash it everyday to me it seems really oily. I have psoriasis that only acts up seasonally so for that I will use Head and Shoulders shampoo. But my mom told me that switching up my shampoos will help add some moisture but Ive tried the Suave Humectant brand and nothing, Panteen ProV nothing....Its still dry and crinkly. I bought Garnier Fructese deep conditioning moisturizer and use it twice a week and that doesnt even do anything.
Depending on how Im feeling that day depends on how I do my hair. Sometimes I will slap some gel and hair spray in it and scrunch it up so its curly or otherdays Ill blow dry it and straighten it. I have EXTREMELY thick hair and is completely unmanagable. I have to do something to it or it looks like crap so going natural and not doing anything isnt an option. Im at a loss right now with my hair and am ready to shave it off and be done with it right now. I just hate the way it feels like its dry and crinkly and gross....It bothers me...So does anyone have any products out there that they use or some home remedy that might add some moisture to it....
Sincerely
the dry frizzed out maniac in PA

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
www.drbronners.com

I love the stuff , clean s you , animals , sink and other things.. I have FINE , Wavy hair and no need to condition with this stuff

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yea I'm the same as you, I either have to put gel and scrunch it or striaghten it...Lol or on days when I'm lazy I just take a hairclip and clip it back

How often do you wash you hair??? If you have thick or curly hair, try washing it every other day or even less if you can. What I do is moisturize with a conditioner every day but I don't use shampoo on it every day...
You can look at some deep conditioners, I don't know any good tested brands off the top of my head but there are a lot by every single brand such as dove, garnier, loreal, etc- it will say "mask" on it. the main thing is not drying out your hair with shampoo every single day.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Biosilk - Costco, $8.43

After shampooing squirt about a dime size amount into your hands and work well into damp hair. It is fabulous!

It's about twice as much from the hairdresser. I
Costco!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to wash my hair everyday. If I straighten it and try to not wash it it looks greasy to me. And if I put gel and hairspray in it I have to wash that out then too....Its a pain the you know what! And it drives me nuts. I tried the Garnier deep conditioning mask and that didnt do anything but make my hair smell good. Im going to Wal Mart at some point today or tomorrow depending on my laziness factor..LOL..Its my day off so Im still just lounging around!!!! Plus EEK my boss is coming over today to drop her car off because BF is repainting it for her and shes a you know what so I have to be outside with him while shes here because neither of us can stand her and I have to be there to put a censor on BFs mouth so I dont get fired.....Argh could today be anymore irritating!! I think its left over PMS from last week!!!!!

Anyways back to original thoughts...Has anyone tried John Frieda products they are pricey but I heard they work...It might make a difference that I dye my hair...I use the good hair dyes that arent supposed to dry out your hair but hey what I can I say I love changing my hair color with the seasons!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used both Infusium and Biosilk. I like them both equally. It just depends if you want something you use in the shower or out. The good thing about the Biosilk is that it makes your hair super shiny and also tames fly aways, which with the winter coming up might be a good thing. You only need a teensy bit though or else you will get greasy hair. I like how it smells also.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nexxus used to make something called Humectant, dunno if it made it to their retail store line though, may be only available in professional size or it may be gone and it was a good 'patch'. Anyway, you must remember, hair is dead keratin, like your fingernails, and while you can temporarily remedy problems, you have to change management methods. You can do hot oil - easy but messy - as a fix, you can slather on conditioners of all kinds and it is temporary, even leave in conditioners. Head and Shoulders is pretty harsh because of the anti-dandruff stuff in it and every time you wash your hair, it strips more and more of the good out, and you are left with 'mashed potato' hair when it is wet and dry frizz when it dries. Add to that blow driers and other electric styling mediums, you have a real problem. Reduce the hair washings a lot, do it gradually, and change shampoo to something for dry hair and use a separate conditioner, not that anything applied to the outside makes it heal, but it will reduce breakage. FWIW, my hair is in a LOT better condition now than when it was with daily washing - ran into a bit of water problems here, started to run short so hair washing went first, and after a month of living with greasy hair for half the week, that stopped too. I use Clairol for long hair because it smells nice

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk to a hair stylist for suggestions in what to use. Sounds like you need more professional (and expensive) products rather then what is commercial in the stores. Good luck.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

Ok so I just took a shower and its starting to really bug me that I cant find anything to pump some moisture back into my hair. Its really dry but if I dont wash it everyday to me it seems really oily. I have psoriasis that only acts up seasonally so for that I will use Head and Shoulders shampoo. But my mom told me that switching up my shampoos will help add some moisture but Ive tried the Suave Humectant brand and nothing, Panteen ProV nothing....Its still dry and crinkly. I bought Garnier Fructese deep conditioning moisturizer and use it twice a week and that doesnt even do anything.
Depending on how Im feeling that day depends on how I do my hair. Sometimes I will slap some gel and hair spray in it and scrunch it up so its curly or otherdays Ill blow dry it and straighten it. I have EXTREMELY thick hair and is completely unmanagable. I have to do something to it or it looks like crap so going natural and not doing anything isnt an option. Im at a loss right now with my hair and am ready to shave it off and be done with it right now. I just hate the way it feels like its dry and crinkly and gross....It bothers me...So does anyone have any products out there that they use or some home remedy that might add some moisture to it....
Sincerely
the dry frizzed out maniac in PA
Don't shampoo everyday. If you can't stop completely go every 3 days or when you used the most product. The chemicals strip moisture from your hair.
Scrunch the conditioner in and don't rinse it all out. Find a conditioner that works best for you. I have learned that works for others doesn't work for my hair. By the trial/travel size products to test them out, though changing regular could have a negative effect. I use tresemme. I was told to use Nexus but I don't have the $$ for that.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I have psoriasis that only acts up seasonally so for that I will use Head and Shoulders shampoo.
You do know that head and shoulders is useless for that, right? If you truly have psoriasis you have an autoimmune disorder. A dermatologist can suggest better treatments for it.

As for shampoos, they're all the same! Flip them over and look at the ingredients on the bottles. Some extra ingredients here and there that supposedly moisturizing, add volume or shine, etc. But it's all a bunch of chemicals. You might as well use Dawn on your hair.

Sharky made a good suggestion to you, as that is actually a soap and not a detergent.
Your hair is dead though, you really can't fix whatever damage has already been done and you can't make weak hair suddenly stronger. Ultimately you may want to look at your diet as what you eat can affect it - as can overall health.

You may want to see if laying your hair can help thin it out some.

And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that only washes my hair every other to every third day (depends on if I get something in it). I don't have much choice, my hair falls out and breaks off if washed too often. It's very long, fine, and I do have chronic health problems, though.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, so it sounds like I have similar hair. My hair is very thick and slightly wavy and I thought that I had psoriasis or something similar because I would get these huge horrible flakes. I tried the dermatologist and various hair professionals and they all told me that I had a dry scalp or dandruff and to moisturize more and wash the hair less often. This went on for several years until I was doing some research and figured out that my problem was the exact opposite. Even though my hair felt dry, I was actually over moisturizing my scalp and I had gotten down to washing my hair twice a week. Well, what helped me figure out this problem was the flakes went from being large and white, to being large and waxy yellow.

To make a long story short, I used Selsun Blue with salicylic acid (same stuff for acne and an oily face) to calm down the scalp problems. I used it every other day. I also started to be very careful to not get conditioner on my scalp and to rinse very thoroughly. Fast forward a year and my scalp only flakes a little if I brush it too hard and my hair is a lot softer because I use the selsun blue once a week and regular shampoo and conditioner more often. I also use an aveeno leave in conditioning spray. My hair feels nice and soft.

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't use regular shampoo, started out with the cheap ones making my head itch, then the expensive, then the natural.

I washed with baking soda and honey for a while. Baking soda cleans without stripping natural oils. When the natural oils are stripped, your head goes into "overproduce mode" and makes extra. That's why if you wash daily, you HAVE to wash daily. The honey moisturizes. It worked for a while, then the ends got really dry. And I missed the foaminess of shampoo. Tried again with natural shampoo, itchy scalp. Then I found J.R. Liggett old fashioned bar shampoo. It's a soap, not a detergent (most liquid shampoos are detergent and made to strip oils), and in bar form, so less packaging. It claims that most people don't need conditioner, but my ends dry very fast, so I use a separate conditioner just on the very ends. Works great! I have to wash more often than with baking soda. Every 2 - 3 days, instead of every 4. And I have what most would consider an oily scalp, I washed daily for most of my life.

To condition just the ends, use a drop or two of virgin coconut oil. Very very good for hair.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have very thick and dry hair too.

What works best for me is any old shampoo, but the conditioner is what matters. I use "Color Me Happy" by Herbal Essence conditioner. And it doesn't matter if your hair is dyed or not. It still makes it oh so soft and wonderful to touch.

Usually the first day after I wash it it has that slightly fluffy quality, which isn't as bad as the dry frizz I used to have.

So on that day I use a Garnier Fructis anti frizz stuff http://www0.epinions.com/reviews/Gar...ti_Frizz_Serum

and if I have a lot of time, I will sometimes straighten my hair which makes it even more sleek and soft.

I also only wash my hair once ever 2-3 days, but I will condition it every time I shower if I have the time.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badkelpie

I can't use regular shampoo, started out with the cheap ones making my head itch, then the expensive, then the natural.

I washed with baking soda and honey for a while. Baking soda cleans without stripping natural oils. When the natural oils are stripped, your head goes into "overproduce mode" and makes extra. That's why if you wash daily, you HAVE to wash daily. The honey moisturizes. It worked for a while, then the ends got really dry. And I missed the foaminess of shampoo. Tried again with natural shampoo, itchy scalp. Then I found J.R. Liggett old fashioned bar shampoo. It's a soap, not a detergent (most liquid shampoos are detergent and made to strip oils), and in bar form, so less packaging. It claims that most people don't need conditioner, but my ends dry very fast, so I use a separate conditioner just on the very ends. Works great! I have to wash more often than with baking soda. Every 2 - 3 days, instead of every 4. And I have what most would consider an oily scalp, I washed daily for most of my life.

To condition just the ends, use a drop or two of virgin coconut oil. Very very good for hair.
I love using baking soda. It makes my hair feel soft and clean - and it seems shinier, too. I find that my hair actually stays cleaner when using is consistently - for as you mentioned my scalp isn't trying to overproduce oils.
If you can, try getting yourself a big 12lb bag of it. Plenty for all sorts of cleaning.
I'll have to look into the coconut oil, right now I just use a little bit of conditioner on the ends of my hair.

It may sound crazy, but I have always had a problem with shampoos and conditioners that most people probably don't. I have an extremely sensitive nose and some smells will make me gag uncontrollably. Unfortunately a lot of shampoos smell terrible.

DH has a very oily scalp and uses Head and Shoulders for flaky scalp. I need to find an alternative that would be easy for him to use because even smelling his shampoo from across the house when he showers bothers me.

How do the J.R. Liggett bars smell?

kwren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you may want to try conditioning with coconut oil, that helps a lot.

most commercial shampoos and conditioners can dry your hair and scalp out, especially if you have curly hair. the products you use and the blow-drying can make the problem worse.

a good rule of thumb is to avoid sulfate based shampoos, avoid anything with waxes and non water soluble silicones, and stay away from blow-drying or straightening.

my daughter was bald for what seemed like ever, when she did finally grow hair it was insanely curly and she was drying out and getting frizzy with our normal routine and products. i started looking into the curly girl method of hair-care and we do a modified version for her. we also only comb her hair using a wide toothed comb. no brushes, they just make her frizz.

i stopped washing her hair with shampoo at all. every few weeks - if she needs it - i rinse her hair with apple cider vinegar to clean out the oils, but she hardly ever needs it. i wash her hair with conditioner, and only conditioner. luckily one of the best conditioners to use is also really cheap - suave naturals. sometimes i mix it with honey for extra moisture but usually i just slather her head down with conditioner and comb it in, leave it in for 5 minutes, then rinse. conditioners do contain a gentle cleanser so it gets a gentle non-drying wash as well as the condition and that is all she needs. she has fabulous fabulous curly hair (pm me for pics if you want!) that isn't greasy in the slightest.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about the coconut oil. When I lived in a warmer climate my hair was terribly dry and coconut oil helped alot. Don't put in on your scalp though.

Another thing I used to do is instead of using conditioner then rinsing it off, I would wrap a hot moist towel around my hair and let it sit until the towel is cool then rinse it.

When I was in high school I used a conditioner call "Mane and Tail" (I think) which actually is made for horses, but worked great for my then over-processed hair. A friend of mine who had horses told me about it. She panic one night because she ran out of conditioner and decided to give it a shot. At the time we had to get it at the feed store, but I actually think I've seen it in Wal-Mart now.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Washing your hair daily, putting chemicals in it, blow-drying and straightening , and dyeing it will all cause your hair to become dry and brittle. Over-brushing or brushing when your hair is wet will also cause damage. Going natural is probably the best thing you can do for it. Your hair is made up of dead cells and whatever damage is done- that's it. A better long-term strategy might be to cut the damage away and change how you care for your hair. I agree that if you have psoriasis, a dermatologist could probably give you a better recommendation. If you simply have dandruff, try rinsing with apple cider vinegar. For healthier hair growing out of your head, try taking vitamin supplements. You might not be getting enough good nutrition and that also makes hair susceptible to damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is all great advice. Im going to TRY very very hard to gradually cut back on washing my hair with shampoo..As for the psoriasis I asked my mom about it and Ive had it since I born and she used to use a shampoo from the Dr but then stopped because Head and Shoulders worked great. I always have spots behind my ears and at the edges of my hair line at my neck that are the DANGER zones where I know its starting to act up. I actually cant use any Aussie products at all because they instigate my psoriasis and Im a horrible itcher I cant do the whole count to ten and it will go away thing I scratch till it starts bleeding.
I asked my mom what she thinks I should use. I used to use Bed Head products and they are AMAZING but also about 30 dollars for a bottle of just shampoo. So I stopped using it its just too expensive. Im going to give Herbal Essence a try I havent used it since I was in high school but that only thing I remember is that it made my hair smell pretty lol...You know what the funny thing is..My hair feels the best and healthiest for about a week after I dye it. It literally feels like a whole new head of hair and then after that week is up its just back to blah. I know I need to get a trim too but I have a phobia of people cutting my hair ever since I ended up with a boys hair cut because a lady messed up. I might get my hair cut once or twice a year or if theres a special occasion Ill get it cut more but now the girl I had cutting my hair quit working where I work so Im on the hunt for a new hair dresser again......Argh the never ending process of being female!!!!!! Atleast if I were a guy I could pee whereever I wanted...LMAO!