Parenting Books?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I'm actually making more at my serving job than I did at the bank, and Jon and I are trying really hard to save money and we decided to start trying for a baby in a few months! We're really excited, and I want to read a million books about babies and parenting. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The best pregnancy book out there is "What to Expect when you are Expecting"
Lots of good info. Gave it to my daughter when she was expecting her first, she really enjoyed it.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was pregnant I went on webmd.com and looked up pregnancy stuff and that website has some good information on it. I would look there for an online resource.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hit your local library?
If you're trying to save up it would probably be a good idea to figure out what books and/or authors you like instead of buying a bunch of books - unless you buy books from the bargain section (I love it when books stores clear out their hard cover stock), you can easily end up spending a lot of money and only walk out holding 3-4 books.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not a parenting book, but The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer is fantastic. The Baby Book by William Sears is a good parenting-type book.

Also, I'd suggest heading over to the forums at Mothering.com. The women there are wonderful...smart and child-centered.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed baby 411. What to expect when expecting is long winded and you will suffer from pregnancy brain aka lack of concentration. Start reading NOW!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some I enjoyed reading

Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler
The Baby Book - Sears
The Vaccine Book - Sears
The Healthiest Kid in the Neighborhood - Sears
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - La Leche League
Conception, Pregnancy, and Birth by Dr. Miriam Stoppard
And I agree with Jillian, start reading the forums here
www.mothering.com/discussions

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What to expect when you are expecting is one of my favs. I also liked the Idiots Guide to Pregnancy (hey I like things simple!)

For parenting it depends on what type of style suits you best.

"Baby Wise-Giving your infant the gift of nighttime sleep" is good. If you are the type who will have your baby/toddler sleeping in bed with you (co-sleeping) than The Baby Book by Dr. Sears would be more your style.

My favourite (again plain and simple) is What to expect in the First Year

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

For parenting it depends on what type of style suits you best.
That's what I'm trying to figure out...I know I don't want to be like my parents!

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Karen-I am an MCD lady, though I don't post too, too often. My user name there is jgracefrank.

Cheers!
Jillian

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm reading "What to Expect When Your Expecting" now. Sometimes I just skim for things; but I've found it answers questions I didn't know I would have, before I have them. If that made any sense at all....

I read most of Taking Charge of Your Fertility beforehand. I found I'm no good with charting temps. I just don't wake up mentally enough to do all that. Well...we'll see how that changes once the baby comes.

I do have the other 2 books in the "What to Expect" series, but I haven't read them yet. A nurse friend of mine is supposed to be letting me know the name of a book she has that has a lot of good advise on health care and things like that. Like when to call the doctor and things like that.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The "What to Expect" series is great, I quite enjoyed the "In the First Year" volume, LOTS of good and clearly presented information.

I wouldn't get to hung up on the 'how to parent' type books (like Dr. Spock) your own common sense will carry you allot further then anyone else's.

kwren

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of my favorite reference books is called "smart medicine for a healthier child" it is big big book, and what i like the most about it is it takes your standard childhood ailments and gives you ALL of the different ways to treat them, as well as when it is time to go to the doc. it gives you the western treatments, naturopathic treatments, homeopathic treatments, and nutritional support for specific illnesses as well as acupressure/puncture and herbal remedies.

it is the first book i go for when babygirl is showing signs of getting sick.