Max is being neutered Monday

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been planning on having this done, but I wasn't really in any hurry. Now there is an unspade female cat hanging around now and I feel that I really need to get Max neutered. He really went crazy the last time she was around and kept trying his best to run out the door. I don't want any unwanted kittens being born, so I feel that I need to get it done ASAP. I have him scheduled for Monday
What I want to know is what has your experience been with this surgery? How difficult is it on the cat? What should we do at home to help him have the best recovery possible? How can I expect his behavior to change? Will he still be the same ole Max? I have researched this, but I want to know what people's real life experience has been with this.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Other than getting over a bit of wooziness following the anesthesia, there's really no "recovery time" for a male cat after neutering. Most of them are running around like nothing happened within a few hours. He'll be the same old Max, though he may have a tendency to gain weight more quickly. Neutering should stop him from trying to get out to "meet" females in heat, or any spraying, but it does take a couple of weeks for the hormone levels to drop, so those changes aren't immediate.

The main things you can do is make sure he doesn't eat after the time specified by the vet the night before the surgery, and provide a safe place for him to hang out till the anesthesia has worn off completely, e.g., the cat tree or a narrow windowsill wouldn't be ideal, as he might fall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the very informative post jcat. It sounds like it isn't going to be that bad.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Most males (especially ones under the year mark) act like nothing happened after 2 hours of their surgery.
. Trust me, you will be much more worried and upset than he will. The procedure itself literally takes about 2-5 minutes. Incredibly incredibly easy surgery. He'll probably be under for about half an hour. He will be just fine!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is he? The younger he is, the quicker he'll recover. Although, honestly, none of my males have ever shown any signs of knowing anything ever happened to them. Except Scotty, because the vet who neutered him was a real butcher, and so he was sore for a few days. But even the older toms (who were neutered by GOOD vets) didn't seem distressed at all. It's just a flesh wound, a real quick snip.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When mine where done I had to really LOOK for the incision, lol. Nat bad at all, the most dramatic part was them being drunk from the anesthesia.

BTW, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Max, exsp his coloring.
(see my sig?)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

Most males (especially ones under the year mark) act like nothing happened after 2 hours of their surgery.
. Trust me, you will be much more worried and upset than he will. The procedure itself literally takes about 2-5 minutes. Incredibly incredibly easy surgery. He'll probably be under for about half an hour. He will be just fine!
to all of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandy2u1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your posts. It makes me feel better to know that it is no big deal. Max is less than a year old. His surgery had to be put off till tomorrow. The vet did say he was going to keep him overnight...is that normal? Thank you, Katkisses for the compliments on Max and well wishes. Your cat looks like Max!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Some vets keep the cats overnight, while others don't. The time of the surgery may play a role, too, i.e., early morning or late afternoon. Let us know how everything goes.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet may have had an emergency come in at the time of Max's appt. Most vets here only do spay/neuters in the morning, not sure why. Maybe that is the case?

If it was something to do with Max personally the vet would have told you.

How is Max doing? I am guessing is is neutered now?