Doesn't seem to be enough

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am feeding Kiki according to the chart on the package. The chart says for 4-5 pounds feed 1/2 a day for 4-6 months old. I feed her 1/4 cup in the AM and 1/4 cup in the PM. However, she still seems to be hungry...what gives? I only feed her dry...and I am going to be transitioning her to Nutro Maxx Cat...she is on Science Diet right now. I had bought some wet food (just Special Kitty brand), but it seemed to upset her tummy. Do I need to feed her a different wet food in addition to her kibble or feed her a little more kibble or just wait for her to accept her feeding times and amounts?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

I am feeding Kiki according to the chart on the package. The chart says for 4-5 pounds feed 1/2 a day for 4-6 months old. I feed her 1/4 cup in the AM and 1/4 cup in the PM. However, she still seems to be hungry...what gives? I only feed her dry...and I am going to be transitioning her to Nutro Maxx Cat...she is on Science Diet right now. I had bought some wet food (just Special Kitty brand), but it seemed to upset her tummy. Do I need to feed her a different wet food in addition to her kibble or feed her a little more kibble or just wait for her to accept her feeding times and amounts?
For kittens feed as much as she wants - free feed the dry...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The guide on the package is just a guide. If you think she needs more give her a little more. If she gets too fat, cut back.

I prefer feeding both canned and dry. But if she's not used to canned, it will upset her tummy at first. (special kitty is not a very good brand though)

Give smaller portions of the canned, and gradually add more, as she gets used to it. When switching foods, it's helpful, in addition to doing it very gradually, to give her a probiotic during the food change and for about a week after the transition is complete.

Fortiflora, ( a powder) benebac (gel) and probios (gel or powder) are three such probiotics. I myself use probios.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

For kittens feed as much as she wants - free feed the dry...
Originally Posted by otto

The guide on the package is just a guide. If you think she needs more give her a little more. If she gets too fat, cut back.

I prefer feeding both canned and dry. But if she's not used to canned, it will upset her tummy at first. (special kitty is not a very good brand though)

Give smaller portions of the canned, and gradually add more, as she gets used to it. When switching foods, it's helpful, in addition to doing it very gradually, to give her a probiotic during the food change and for about a week after the transition is complete.

Fortiflora, ( a powder) benebac (gel) and probios (gel or powder) are three such probiotics. I myself use probios.
try free feeding the dry and slowly add in wet

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Science Diet is also not a high quality dry food. The calories may look right, but a lot of it is corn fillers and low quality protein sources that cats can't utilize very well. If you switch him gradually to a higher quality food you'll find that he needs less to stay healthy and gain weight.

zoe2009

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Be careful of Nutro.Their company has been bought and sold so many times. I switched my cat to Chicken Soup for the Soul. Since he has gotten too fat, I bought the light. He is a wet food lover, so he only eats the dry when he has to. I am thinking he doesn't like it. If I continue to have a problem, I may switch him to Innova. I switched my dog to Innova, and he just loves it. But I know that doesn't mean the cat will. He like Friskies Special Diet wet food. I have bought him expensive wet foods and he won't eat them.

hosman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No expert here but I adopted the consensus of the other members on this site;for a kitten up to one year of age it is best to let them eat as much as they want of thier quality cat food.I leave Alley with enough dry food out to last until I get home from work(5ish).Then I let her have what she wants of her wet food.Younger cats seem to be self-regulating and eat only when they are hungry(at least mine does
).Another thing cats have over dogs.