Paws folded

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why do cats keep their front paws folded when they are in lying down position?

Is there a message in this body language?

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think they are showing they are REALLY comfortable since it's hard to get up & run with your legs all folded up beneath you.

srrh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I call that the potato position.. you can see why if you look at the picture of Fiona in my signature.
She looks just like a baked potato with a tail!

My favorite is when she actually crosses her paws in front of her like a dainty lady when she lays down. Both Fiona and Lolly potato, but only Fiona does the dainty paw-crossing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the clues, All

And Srrh, Yessa! Tat's the baked-potato position kimi does too

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its to keep their toes warm too...Dont we all suffer from cold toes too...LOL..We get socks and they dont they gotta do something to warm up! LOL

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cats are also sensitive about having their toes touched. I always thought of it as sort of a protective gesture, as well as keeping warm. Our family kitty Midori has two extra toes (thumbs) on each front paw. I notice that she does not often sleep on her feet like other cats. she sleeps with her paws out and crossed like a lady.

Aya, however, who is let us say 'touchy' about any sort of petting at all, likes to keep hers safe and tucked in at all times while napping.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by srrh

I call that the potato position.. you can see why if you look at the picture of Fiona in my signature.
She looks just like a baked potato with a tail!
How funny! I call what Fiona is doing Tucked. I do use the term Potato Position though, but it is different from Tucked. I'll have to see if I can find a pic.

How funny!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rummi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a paws folded pic. Kimi always has the out-of-bed look in this position
*whisper : can even see her dark eye circles*

euphoria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How adorable!! I have a friend with a kitty who looks almost like your Kimi, but he's a bigger boy and and is VERY vocal. So cuuute and cuddly thoug5555555555555555555555bgvvvvvvvvvvvvv

^My cat clearly had something to say .. I'm not sure what but I wish he'd let me at least finish my sentence ..

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i call it the "pawless" position. then i ask "where are your paws? are you a pawless cat?" or "you're pawless!!"
in the first link in my sig, penny's doing it. if you have a fat cat, you can call it the butterball position