Unsure what to do about mother cat

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All summer I've seen this black and white cat around my house....Didn't know til alittle over a week ago that she is a she...because she was scared and would run away...Well the long weekend here was cool and raining...I saw her trying to get at the cat food cans I had in my recycle bin....So I went outside to get her some "real food"...I was able to pet her because she was so so hungry all she could think about was food...(thats when I found out she was a girl and had a belly sway making me wonder if she had kittens)...When she was done she walked away but meow alittle and looked like she wanted to come close again but then bolted and took off..
I kept and eye out for her and saw her again a few times but she got spooked by some noise and off she ran...Well long story short she trusts me enough now and if no one is near will come for food...and some attention...Her fur looks nice and shining but she is very thin .... and always very hungry....I think she has kittens because her nipples look like it..
This evening I got concerned alittle more for her....because she was scarfing down food in my green bin...She must be a stray ??? She is also very young ...I bet not even a yr old yet...she is so tiny and the nights are getting cold but I don't want to let her in because she might have kittens out there somewhere....I'm just looking for some suggests on what to do about her ?? I dont think I can keep her I have 5 cats and 2 dogs now....but I can't just leave her out there with her kittens when it starts to get real cold here ....I'm just looking for some advice ..thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, but what IS possible for you to do? How much are you willing to help?

Ie, let say, take in in a separate room (possibly a big dog cage), let her deliver her babies there, foster them - and her, and find them adoptive homes - a lot of work but the optimal to do.
Is it possible? So plan on it.
(Thus, you dont need to plan for adopting the lot yourself).

If not, try to either find someone else - or a good shelter or such. the problem is, most shelters are full. So they may probably help contact vet and so, but in practice, best is if you/another are this emergency and foster home.
Besides, it is almost only shelters in Sweden who works also with semiferales...

ps. If she really wants in, she has prob her babies within her.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe I wasn't clear...she has had her kittens already somewhere...I have no idea where they are....as of now she comes to eat and some attention then she leaves again....I would let her in the house...possibly and try and find a home...But the fact she has kittens out there somewhere ..I dont want to take the mom in and let the kittens to fend for themselves...I have no idea where they are what health they are in or how old they are...I just know she has had kittens...I watch when she leaves but its not always the same way....and she goes into a fenced off area with old bulidings..not sure if the kittens are in there somewhere or not...she might be just walking thru that area 2....I am just getting more concerned because of the colder nights starting here

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see. So you ARE willing to give her all necessary help including fostering.

So do prepare her room (being also a quarantene), and do proceed to work on her by giving her food which she desperately needs, and also some socialization.

This is important. IF you get to know where they are, it will be much easier to catch them. She may perhaps even let you voluntarily.

Hopefully you will with time get some ideas how to trace down her nest. Or if not, she will come to you with her kittens. As she probably will when they are about 5-6 weeks, if you dont find them earlier.

You have of course right, you cant take her in without her kittens. You can do it at first when you know 100% sure where the nest is.

Lets hope other will fill in. During the time, look through older threads, the situation isnt not that unusal.

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am almost convinced she is a stary...is it possible for a stray to have such nice shiny fur ? I've dealt with strays in the past and let me tell ya most were in bad shape....rough looking fur....thin and usually some kinda wounds...This cat is very very thin....and very scared but overall seems in good health....If she isn't a stray...she has some irresponsible owners to let her roam..let her get pregnant...and not feed her enough while nursing...and let her out of the house to get pregnant again...
The only thing I can think of at the moment is to set her up her own "nest" and maybe she will bring her babies to me ?
I will do what I can to help out even paying to have her spayed...but I have had good luck in the past....I've taken strays to the vet and when hearing the story usually the vets just take the cat in and place them out front to find new homes....They won't do this all the time...but I'd say 4 out of the 6 times ....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to set her up her own "nest" and maybe she will bring her babies to me ?
This is certainly worth a try!

Good you have such a good cooperation with your nice vet!

Of course, I suppose these cats he helps to adopt must be socialized, or at least - somewhat socialized. So you cant get without some fostering. Although you can this way get help with the adoption.

Good luck!

nance

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The past few days ...the mother cat comes to eat around 5/6 pm..then leaves right away ? Is there a stage where the mother cat doesn't want to leave her kittens ? And she is actually getting fusy on what she will eat now....at first she ate dry food like I put a steak in front of her...Well ever since she got into our green bin and was eating day old roast beef pieces she doesn't seem to want to eat the dry anymore...I suppose I can give her some canned next times she comes...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nance

? And she is actually getting fusy on what she will eat now....at first she ate dry food like I put a steak in front of her...Well ever since she got into our green bin and was eating day old roast beef pieces she doesn't seem to want to eat the dry anymore...I suppose I can give her some canned next times she comes...
Aj. I suspect she has also another source of food, ie another helper too. In a way it is very good. But it makes it also more difficult for you to get into her kittens... It is not sure she will come with them to you...

Can you hear with your neighbours if someone has seen such and such a cat? This way you can perhaps find if there is another helper.
If so, you can perhaps try to coordinate.