Litterbox Question(s)

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all, new here and didn't see the perfect forum to post litterbox questions. So I apologize in advance if it's in the wrong forum

I have two kittens (one I bought from a breeder, and the other I adopted from a shelter) and they both share the same litterbox. The problem I am having is that I have a small apartment and my place smells like a litterbox.

I scoop twice a day so my house doesn't smell like urine and poop, but whenever I walk into my house it smells like a litterbox
. I did switch litters and found one that smells better then what I was using, I thought going to a more expensive litter would help. It helped with the cat feces smell but my place still smells like a litterbox.

I have a covered litterbox and the little guys use it without fail so I'm really happy about that. I have tried using different air sanitizers and fresheners to no avail. I live in Minnesota so because of the humidity I haven't had the chance to open windows and such to help get some fresh air in - I would imagine that would help a ton and I can't wait for full on fall to do so. Also, because of the size of my place the litterbox is located in the den/fish room which has an open top 29g sw tank and an open top 150g tank.

So I guess the questions are...

Is there a different type of litterbox that I should be looking into that will help? I looked at the Litter Robot but it's really spendy.

Is there a better air freshener that I should be using to help get the litter smell out of the house?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in Iowa for a few years, and the humidity where I lived was unbelievable. I ended up switching to grocery store brand of unscented scooping litter (it was very very cheap--> $2.50/15 lbs) and changing the boxes every 1-2 weeks. Even with my scooping every 2-3 times/day it was getting that used litter smell in a week or two.

You mentioned the fish tank room as your cat box location--depending on the size and number of tanks, it could be adding to the problem by adding to the humidity. I just have a 10-gallon tank so it's never been much of an issue for me.

I moved all but 1 of my boxes to the basement, and we have an awesome dehumidifier down there. I've noticed an improvement with how our boxes smell. I also switched back to Tidy Cats Scoop.

Could you try an air purifier? That was going to be my next step if I hadn't moved almost all the boxes to the basement. (we just have the basement and a main floor)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll go ahead and try that.

When I say small house - it's small. The rooms I have to work with are my bedroom (I really don't want a box in there!), the living room (it's oddly shaped, long and narrow with only 1 corner which I use to put a TV in so there really isn't any room for a box here), the kitchen (small kitchen, only has 1 corner as well), the bathroom (it's extremely tiny, have enough room to turn around in and that's about it - I'm not kidding at all) and I have my den/fish room.

I was actually thinking of getting a dehumidifier for my den/fish room so I will start looking down the path of air purifier instead.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Aqualoon

Hey all, new here and didn't see the perfect forum to post litterbox questions. So I apologize in advance if it's in the wrong forum

I have two kittens (one I bought from a breeder, and the other I adopted from a shelter) and they both share the same litterbox. The problem I am having is that I have a small apartment and my place smells like a litterbox.

I scoop twice a day so my house doesn't smell like urine and poop, but whenever I walk into my house it smells like a litterbox
. I did switch litters and found one that smells better then what I was using, I thought going to a more expensive litter would help. It helped with the cat feces smell but my place still smells like a litterbox.

I have a covered litterbox and the little guys use it without fail so I'm really happy about that. I have tried using different air sanitizers and fresheners to no avail. I live in Minnesota so because of the humidity I haven't had the chance to open windows and such to help get some fresh air in - I would imagine that would help a ton and I can't wait for full on fall to do so. Also, because of the size of my place the litterbox is located in the den/fish room which has an open top 29g sw tank and an open top 150g tank.

So I guess the questions are...

Is there a different type of litterbox that I should be looking into that will help? I looked at the Litter Robot but it's really spendy.

Is there a better air freshener that I should be using to help get the litter smell out of the house?
We need more details please....

What litter are you using? What litter box are you using? How many boxes do you have, how often do you change the litter?

I also live in a tiny place, in Dallas, where the humidity is very high, and because of the weather, most of the time (99% actually) my windows are closed... My house doesn't smell AT ALL...
There are some things you can do too - like mixing baking soda into the litter, but there is something amiss in there... I think your kitty might be peeing somewhere you are not aware of....

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was using tidy cat litter I am now loving the arm and hammer litter. When I say my house smells like a litter it actually smells like the litter vs the urine/feces. But I still don't want my house to smell like the litter (smells like the unused litter if that makes sense).

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does make sense - you are using a scented litter than, I suppose? - I can't stand the litter scent either!!
Do you have a petsmart close to you? if so, look for a litter called Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Cat Litter - This litter has low tracking, excellent odor control, 0 dusting, and no scent whatsoever.... IMO it is by far the best clumping litter out there....

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the Dr Elsey's! However, I recently switched to Costco's Purrfect Cat Litter. It has a lemongrass scent that we all find agreeable.

For quick removal of odor (like when friends are about to come over) buy a bottle of "AtmosKlear." It REALLY works--on anything. Just spritz the air and it's clean--spray your car and you have new car smell again...it's incredible. I often use it to spritz on the Litter Robot and the cabinet I keep it in after cleaning to keep things super fresh.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had something like that once. I wasn't real thrilled with the results. The filters had to be changed frequently and then the motor broke.

I say go for an unscented cat litter, keep the boxes clean and use plain baking soda in the boxes if "deodorizer" is needed.

I don't know about litter boxes in the fish room, cat litter can be pretty dusty....you may have to clean the aquarium filters more often.

PS Welcome to the forum!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem here, as the OP explained, is the litter itself, and NOT the poop and pee odor, so, these sprays just might add to the problem, as it might add yet another scent into the household...
IMO the OP needs to go back to a good unscented litter, that offers good odor control, or he can also try mix baking soda into unscented litter... Anything that adds yet another scent into the equation IMO will defeat the purpose...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will offer a differing opnion... one IMHO two kitties need at least ONE box PER cat .. Yes this may mean one in your bedroom or under a sink( cabinet)... Two What are you feeding ?? Quality food that is agreeing with kitties systems = less stink in the box...Three I agree try either changing litter alot more often or using a really good unscented or light( lemongrass is one I use and really cant tell it has a scent ) litter or try a Natural litter

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. I don't have room for another box
2. Feeding Canin Royal Babycat 34
3. Using Arm and Hammer Super Scoop - I don't think I'm using the Fragrance Free kind, I'll get that next time I buy litter, there was a sale this past weekend (Labor Day Sale) so I bought 100# of litter, so once I go through that I'll get the fragrance free kind as I really do like the arm and hammer litter.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats and I get the litter smell thing in the morning when I wake up because then I know its time to scoop some poop. And for some reason all my cats are nocturnal poopers and pee'ers..You might have to do some rearranging or stick another box in with the one you have now just to help things I even just got a small one for my kitten that even my big cats can squeeze their butts into to potty. And mixing baking soda will help too I have an unneutered male and the baking soda along with using scoop away or tidy cats helps alot with cutting back his smelly pee. Also Ive even found to help with smell too is the Glade or Air Wick plug in air fresheners help a bit too I found an odor neutralizing freshener that I plug into the cat room and I vacumn their room everyother day with a pet odor remover carpet sprinkle. Its alot of extra cleaning but it helps alot because if it didnt Id be in big trouble with the BF.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once used Fresh Step litter and my whole house smelled like it within a week. Ugh. I found that Special Kitty Scoop in the green box is pretty good. It says "Fresh Scent" but I can't smell anything. Arm and Hammer is a very good litter, too, so if you get the unscented version that should work.

Not having enough litterboxes is a leading cause of litterbox issues in cats. They might be OK sharing for mow, but that can change overnight. If you must stick with having only one box, keep it extra clean.

aqualoon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, so this weekend I did the following...

i) Bought 2 air purifiers - 1 for the living room and 1 for the fish/PC room
ii) Bought glass tops for both of my fish tanks - figured this would help with some of the humidity in the air. I have enough water flow in my tanks that with the fall temperatures the tank temps shouldn't go through the roof
iii) Started to use the pet powder stuff before I vacuum - figured this couldn't hurt
iv) Got some plug in freshwick stuff and also the glad thing that sprays when it detects a shadow - figured I'd get easy on the nose scents to help cover up the litter smell

It's only been a day, but so far I think it smells a lot better. Once I run out of the 100# of litter I"ll pick up the unscented kind.

Oh and yeah, I'm stuck with one litter box, but I do clean it twice a day and so far the boys have done really well.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

I have 1 indoor only small cat in a small Japanese studio apartment on Okinawa. My litter box has to be in the middle of my living room next to my TV due to space constraints.

I probably can't recommend brands of litter to you because I live in Japan. I use clumping pellets that has some sort of odor moisture control (It tries out the poo into rocks). Its called Lion litter.

Hooded boxes are good for keeping you from smelling the litter. But they do smell really foul inside. But I have to dump the box once a week. And I scoop every other day or so. I also line my box with pet liners and have an inside box that is only 350 yen that can be trashed once it is permanantly urine smelling.

I recently added a second box (where the hell do I put that?) 'cause Aya was having peeing issues, peeing on the bed issues. I found a triangle shaped non-hooded box that just barely fits behind the toilet. I too have a bath that is barely big enough to turn in actually the bath is a shower room and a toilet closet seperate, Japanese style).

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lyrajean

Hi there!

I have 1 indoor only small cat in a small Japanese studio apartment on Okinawa. My litter box has to be in the middle of my living room next to my TV due to space constraints.

I probably can't recommend brands of litter to you because I live in Japan. I use clumping pellets that has some sort of odor moisture control (It tries out the poo into rocks). Its called Lion litter.

Hooded boxes are good for keeping you from smelling the litter. But they do smell really foul inside. But I have to dump the box once a week. And I scoop every other day or so. I also line my box with pet liners and have an inside box that is only 350 yen that can be trashed once it is permanantly urine smelling.

I recently added a second box (where the hell do I put that?) 'cause Aya was having peeing issues, peeing on the bed issues. I found a triangle shaped non-hooded box that just barely fits behind the toilet. I too have a bath that is barely big enough to turn in actually the bath is a shower room and a toilet closet seperate, Japanese style).
First...did you take Aya to the vet to see if she has a urinary tract infection?

Second...if she does not have a UTI, it may be that you are not cleaning her box often enough. Cats don't like dirty boxes and often will refuse to use it.

I'm all for adding another box, I think cats should have at least two boxes, but regardless of how many boxes you have, they should be scooped every day.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

First...did you take Aya to the vet to see if she has a urinary tract infection?

Second...if she does not have a UTI, it may be that you are not cleaning her box often enough. Cats don't like dirty boxes and often will refuse to use it.

I'm all for adding another box, I think cats should have at least two boxes, but regardless of how many boxes you have, they should be scooped every day.
Been there done that... Twice. The problem resolved when she was put on prescription food for cats with urinary issues. Apparently her ph is an issue and is making her irritated down there, so she whizzes on my stuff. Scooping once a day and even adding the box didn't make the difference in the end. when it got real bad she would pee on my bed when it was clean moments after I changed it!

But this is not really the OP's original concern.