5 month old tabby seems too small?

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry... can't post pics or really describe her weight.. she feels pretty sturdy when you pick her up but she's very skinny and small. My tabby cat, Minnie, is 5 months old. When she crouches, her shoulder blades and hip bones stick out a lot. She hardly has any fat on her, and she still looks like a kitten. Is this normal? Can anyone tell me what weight she should be at... or show me pictures of a tabby around her age? I'm very concerned. My other 2 tabbies are quite big.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! Not sure if I should go to the vet, so please tell me what you think. My 5 month old female tabby cat is extremely small and skinny. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. I'm not exactly sure if she was the runt or not, as the previous owner basically just seemed interested in getting rid of her. I don't have pics or exactly know her weight. She feels pretty hefty when I pick her up, not too light at all. But she's just so bony! When she crouches as she plays, you can see her shoulder blades sticking right out. Can anyone tell me how big a tabby cat should be at 5 months old so I can compare? I am really worried about her. She eats fine but isn't gaining much. My other 2 tabbies are quite large.

Oh sorry! I accidentally posted this twice :/

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been dewormed lately? Internal parasites can really keep a cat skinny. If that's all taken care of, she might just be going through a skinny "teenager" stage. And some cats are just naturally slim.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she has. I'm just confused. I thought tabby cats were hefty animals and could get very large. My other 2 are and yet, my Minnie still looks like she could pass for a kitten that could gain a bit more weight.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meminikitty

Yes she has. I'm just confused. I thought tabby cats were hefty animals and could get very large. My other 2 are and yet, my Minnie still looks like she could pass for a kitten that could gain a bit more weight.
Tabby is just a colour - not a type of cat. They can vary in size greatly

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally, females are smaller than males, and also generally, American cats are too fat.

You should be able to feel her backbone and the tops of her ribs, along her backbone, but they shouldn't be predominant.

"Normal" weight can have a lot of variation, from less than 5 pounds to well over 10 pounds.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because Tabby is a pattern and not a breed there is no weight guideline, as mrblanche says normal varies greatly.

Generally speaking, kittens gain 1lb per month of age, but again this can vary. At 5 months she is still very much a kitten and should look like one.

If you are concerned, your vet is the best person to ask.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could she possibly have worms? If she hasn't been dewormed before (and sometimes if a cat has been) it's actually very likely that she would have them. In any case, consult your vet.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How beautiful!

I always wanted a singapura cat... if I remember right, I think they're the smallest cat around 4-6 pounds and it takes them a while to mature.... here's a cute picture of one:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/mjbmeister/R-nh...nding+to+R.jpg

but they're so rare and probably expensive... but all well, I still love the cats I have

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Tabby is just a colour - not a type of cat. They can vary in size greatly
Moose has always been long, lean and bony. That's just his particular body type. His vet says he's in great shape. Maybe your little girl is just naturally skinny.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh... I guess she is alright then, she seems to be gaining a bit from last month, if she doesn't continue to gain by the new year then I'll make her a vet appointment, or perhaps I'll ask when I get her spayed on the 18th

Thanks everyone!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah's a tabby and she's short and compact. She weighs about 8 lbs.

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hannah looks so similar to mine, except mine are slightly bigger, and then my third one, well, she's very tiny and skinny