Has anyone ever put an animal on petfinder?

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd start adding my strays and former ferals and maybe find them a good home. I'm asking a small re homing fee (how much?) which will go toward spaying and neutering more of my strays and ferals. I said in the ad that I won't ship him and I must be able to meet them in person. I also want to have some sort of contract that if they for some reason can't keep him then he will be returned to me. What else should I do?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petfinder is for shelters and rescue groups, not individuals. In the past, when I needed help homing a stray cat, one of the rescue groups would list the cat for me. You might try that route. Just typing in your zip code on the left and start contacting the rescue groups and asking to list the kitties for you. Some will and some will not because you are using their name. If you know anyone that does rescue work, you can ask them to do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Petfinder is for shelters and rescue groups, not individuals. In the past, when I needed help homing a stray cat, one of the rescue groups would list the cat for me. You might try that route. Just typing in your zip code on the left and start contacting the rescue groups and asking to list the kitties for you. Some will and some will not because you are using their name. If you know anyone that does rescue work, you can ask them to do it.
You can post classified ads, which I just did.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I was going to say the same thing. Definitely go through a rescue or shelter. Whatever you do, don't use craigslist or any other "free pet listing" site.

Sick people who torture cats and people needing animals for testing go that route.

Hurray for you for all the work you do with strays. Thank you for doing it.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I listed an abandoned lab mix in the classifieds, but there were already 130 purebred spayed black lab females in my zip code alone. Never got the first reponse.

I know that the TNR in the next county will list animals and screen the responders if the animals have been altered and have basic vaccinations. Just keep trying till you find a rescue that will help you, while there are undoubtedly some with reasons not to, most agree that we're all on the same side, and that the main objective is to put animals into good, safe, forever homes regardless of whether or not the cats are in their custody.

bazkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have found a few of our rescues listed on Petfinder. Two were actually listed with a rescue and one was listed through the classified section, and she (ended up being 'they' lol) actually came from a vet's office.

And as for Craigslist, we found Kenna, our last addition as a playmate for Kenzie (the kitten we found on the side of the road), was found on Craigslist. We did pay a small rehoming fee for her, but that's where we found her. Just make sure they are not free if you list them there, and really screen who you home them to, but that goes with anywhere, really.

Hope that helps.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kscatlady

You can post classified ads, which I just did.
The problem is that you will receive a ton of spam e-mails. People will be more inclined to adopt from a rescue, where they can see a photo than from the classifieds. I agree that maybe you ought to try going through a rescue. The one feral kitten we managed to adopt out was adopted by my SO's co-worker. However, we did set up Loki and Zoom at PetSmart on weekends through a private rescue... but we ended up keeping them because they were with us for so long.

ETA: We did have an application to screen the prospective owners.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At the shelter here, we do list some pets are "courtesy postings". The pet stays with the owners while we list them on petfinder, take/check applications - then arrange a meeting.