Shower or tub?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are looking for a new home, and are becoming discouraged. We don't want to pay for room and space we will never use. What we do want is preferably 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, open floor plan with great room open to kitchen. What we don't want is a separate family room or living room, a dining room and most importantly NO TUB IN THE MASTER BATH! For the life of me I can't figure out why all the builders think it is so dang important to put an oval tub in the master suite??? I am trying to tell these builders that they would be better off if they offered the tub as an option, and used the space the tub takes up as extra large shower, with 2 shower heads and a bench (for leg shaving and shampoo storing), and extra vanity space or linen space.

I mean if you have a main bath, that is where you have a tub/shower combo. I don't take baths because I don't want to spend the time soaking in dirty scummy water, and then need to take a shower anyway to rinse off the soap scum. Yuck.

So my question is, am I nuts? I would much rather have a shower built for two so I can get sudsy with my hubby and he can wash my back. To me that is much sexier than a stupid oval tub. What do you say?

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
your not nuts i also hate baths thats why i just have a bathroom with a shower (which i cant even use)

when i used to live with my mam the 2nd bathroom has a shower over the bath and the only thing i use the bath for was to sit on the edge while showering to shave my legs hehe

i completly agree with you a larger shower would be better

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I much rather have a hot tub outside.... I NEVER EVER EVER EVER EEEEEVER take baths...... did I say ever???

Not becaue it is gross or anything... It is just too much work! Shower all the way, not missing anything!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are designing your own home, then you can put in the double head shower and no tub. But very few homes have that to start. I agree with you. We don't like tubs and prefer showers. We will eventually renovate our bathroom (when we have the money) and put a shower in there we like. Right now we just have to grin and bare it with the tub in the house.

We only have one bathroom in this house.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You either a shower person or a bath person
. I happen to be a bath person, but currently we don't have one. It was way less of an issue then I thought it would be with our young son. Showers are SO much safer for little guys! He learned from a VERY young age to come in the shower with me, from 5 months I'd sit in the shower (because soapy babies are slippery!!) with him and he loved it!

Now he takes showers all on his own (16 months), I mean I do have to put the shampoo on & what not! But he comes RUNNING when he hears the shower going, immediately jumps in & stands under the water! I can nip out and grab a towel, or brush my hair while he's in the shower, I don't have be on constant alert to grab him if he slips under the water. Our shower floor is also textured so no one ever falls in our shower.

Our next house will definitely have a bath, but for right now, I could definitely live without! We're also going to have a super big shower (same reason as you
) my dad has one & it's SO nice!! It's as big as a walk-in closet!

kimberleigh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In our house, we have two washrooms. The washroom downstairs has a tub and the washroom upstairs has a large shower. I looove our upstairs washroom! It's HUGE and the shower is really wonderful. The only time I use the tub downstairs is to bathe the dogs and cats. I know I'll use it in the future, if we ever have children, which is something to consider if you and your DH want a family in the future.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I mean if you have a main bath, that is where you have a tub/shower combo. I don't take baths because I don't want to spend the time soaking in dirty scummy water, and then need to take a shower anyway to rinse off the soap scum. Yuck.
LOL!

Take the shower first, to wash, rinse well, then a nice long soak, with the shower still pouring down...heavenly!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We opted for no bath in our house too, but then decided to go with a combo. Instead they put a separate shower & garden tub in the house. I've lived there for 8 months and have yet to get in the tub. I much prefer a hot tub outside.

I enjoy the occasional bath, but by the time I get up or get home depending on when I take my shower that particular day, I'm tired and dont feel like waiting for a bath to fill and then try and wash my hair in a bath! I'd just have to go to the shower anyway.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hate that separate bath and shower. I like to lie down under the shower spray while the tub fills up. Other wise it would be too cold...brrr

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
if i want a bath i just go to my mams coz she has one of them fancy spa ones

then im only in it 5 mins

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love a bath and much prefer it over a shower. If you are having a bath every day then I don't know why your bath water would be all scummy. ????

I think the best solution would be to either build your own home and design it the way you want or to completely gut the bathroom and redo it. That is what we did in our current house - took everything out of the bathroom (except the tub in our case), put down new flooring, cabinets, etc. If your hubby is handy, it's not that big a job.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our apartment has a shower/tub combo. I put a hand-held showerhead in for when I take my showers but I do love a long soak in a lavender scented bubblebath with candles around me. It is soooo relaxing! And with the bath pillow I got from my SS last year, somewhat comfortable. My biggest gripe is the tub itself. It is one of those square sided tubs and doesn't have a reclining back. The bath pillow helps and I use it quite often, but not so much in the summer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kimberleigh

In our house, we have two washrooms. The washroom downstairs has a tub and the washroom upstairs has a large shower. I looove our upstairs washroom! It's HUGE and the shower is really wonderful. The only time I use the tub downstairs is to bathe the dogs and cats. I know I'll use it in the future, if we ever have children, which is something to consider if you and your DH want a family in the future.
Heh! Our kids have kids! We are very much empty nesters!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

You either a shower person or a bath person
. I happen to be a bath person
Me too. I recently had my bathroom remodelled, and the bath i picked is soooo deep i lie in it for ages!!

The thing i dislike about showers is that no matter how warm the bathroom is, when you step out the shower your freezing!

Originally Posted by Yosemite

If you are having a bath every day then I don't know why your bath water would be all scummy. ???? .
I never have soap scum in my bath water either?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Me too. I recently had my bathroom remodelled, and the bath i picked is soooo deep i lie in it for ages!!

The thing i dislike about showers is that no matter how warm the bathroom is, when you step out the shower your freezing!

I never have soap scum in my bath water either?
Wow! Your bathtub cleans itself, and never leaves a ring? Amazing! Must be your brand of soap, lol!

Right now we are living in a house with a jacuzzi tub that I've used ONCE out of curiosity! It sits diagonally in a corner with the tiled triangle behind the tub impossible to reach to dust by this old lady! Meanwhile I am showering in this cramped little shower with no place to store shampoo and conditioner, soap and razor, and no way to shave my legs without getting soap in my eyes! I HATE IT!

I don't get cold leaving the shower, except in the dead of winter, and I keep a terry robe handy!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wow! Your bathtub cleans itself, and never leaves a ring? Amazing! Must be your brand of soap, lol!

Right now we are living in a house with a jacuzzi tub that I've used ONCE out of curiosity! It sits diagonally in a corner with the tiled triangle behind the tub impossible to reach to dust by this old lady! Meanwhile I am showering in this cramped little shower with no place to store shampoo and conditioner, soap and razor, and no way to shave my legs without getting soap in my eyes! I HATE IT!

I don't get cold leaving the shower, except in the dead of winter, and I keep a terry robe handy!
I clean my tub after every use as I stand there in the buff and the water is draining out. I don't have a ring around my tub ever. It takes but a couple seconds to clean it after each use and then it never becomes a big job. That's how I do it and it has nothing to do with what brand of soap one uses I don't believe.

Knowing Susie homemaker as we all do, I would imagine she cleans her tub after each use as well.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can have a shower in any one of a thousand truck stops, but I can only get a bath at home, so a bath says, "Home" to me.

I agree a lot of the preference has to do with your background. However, keep in mind that you will almost certainly sell that house someday and every thing that reduces your market is money out of your pocket.

In other words, personally, I'd never buy a house without a tub in the master bath. And I'm not alone.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually prefer bath's over showers even though I mostly only take showers and a bath is like an occasional treat when I want to relax.

MY requirement for a master bath is a tub for 2! Like a nice whirlpool jacuzzi tub that I can really relax and stretch out in. They make bathtubs so small these days that any I sit in I can't even recline without my knees poking way up out of the water.

Also, I usually shower/wash my hair before I bathe so I'm not sitting in totally rank water.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Actually, it's nothing to do with the soap it's usually the water, so if you get soap scum you must live in a hard water area?. I know my area isn't hard water and i've never ever had a grey film left behind in the bath for that reason.

http://housekeeping.about.com/od/bat...g/soapscum.htm
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I clean my tub after every use as I stand there in the buff and the water is draining out. I don't have a ring around my tub ever. It takes but a couple seconds to clean it after each use and then it never becomes a big job.

Knowing Susie homemaker as we all do, I would imagine she cleans her tub after each use as well.
That's me Linda
I clean it properly every week, but it just gets a wipe around every night when i've been in, then i use the shower spray to get rid of the bubbles

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100%, never take baths anymore. It has been many years since I sat in a tub, showers are much cleaner and quicker, your thinking is correct.