Question of The Day: Tues. Sept. 8

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy back to school/back to work after a holiday day.

Those of you going to school, kids going back to school: are ya excited ?

For everyone else: how does back to school time affect your community? (ex. it takes hubby longer to drive to work because of the student traffic)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The schools zones are up again.

I remember the first year that I was not associated with schools in any way. For the first time in 19 years, I didn't know the dates of every vacation, etc. An odd feeling. That was 1981.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The schools zones are up again.

I remember the first year that I was not associated with schools in any way. For the first time in 19 years, I didn't know the dates of every vacation, etc. An odd feeling. That was 1981.
I would imagine the increased school related traffic has some affects on your trucking or no?

ETA: In 81 I was starting school right now.... junior kindergarten. I was 4

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm back to school at nights
Started back 2 weeks ago, Tuesday & Thursday 4:30-7:30. I was excited, and I enjoy my math class (but it's pretty easy!). I despise my English class, it is SO BORING.

The traffic doesn't affect me much - I leave for work around 6am usually, so the school traffic hasn't started. I leave work to go to my classes and traffic is somewhat picking up just for people commuting home (yes, traffic here starts around 3-3:30pm on the interstate interchange between I-26 and I-526 in Charleston). After I get out of classes the rush is usually gone

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our area has been back in school for close to a month now, so I'm used to it already. My feelings are always fairly mixed about the whole thing. On one hand, there are school zones, buses, and more traffic at certain times of day. My route and normal time going in to work takes me by an elementary school and I tend to spend an extra 2-3 minutes going through there when the lights are on and the parents are all dropping off their kids. Occasionally, I'll also get stuck behind a school bus for a couple of minutes. On the other hand, less mischief goes on when school is in. The only time we've ever had a serious problem with cars in our parking lot being broken into have been while school was out.

Technically, I'm still a student, so I'm back in school. The only 'classes' I still have to take are the kind that don't actually meet and don't even get a grade. The university just wants its money.
So personally, school being back in has no real effect except to remind me I need to hurry up and finish my dissertation so I can graduate.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
School started like 4 weeks ago here...or maybe I'm wrong?? I think it did lol

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kids are always happy for back to school.....they miss their school friends. This is Kendra's last yr in elementry school

You can DEFINATELY tell when it is back to school around here. The streets are sooooooo quiet.... no kidlets playing in the yards, or biking or etc. during the day. It's so different than the summer time for sure.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My daughter,Chloe,will be starting Kindergarten this Thursday (10th).
She cannot wait to start! I am looking forward to the break too!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

My daughter,Chloe,will be starting Kindergarten this Thursday (10th).
She cannot wait to start! I am looking forward to the break too!
awwwwwwww, how exciting

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

Yep.Thats all she talks about lately!!
She is really excited.Man,they grow up so fast!
LOL.... I hope she has a great first day, and that momma isn't too teary

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am heading back to school today and am quite excited about it now....no doubt I will be grumbling about it when I have to get up and out on a cold January morning.

All the kids going back to school singles things becoming very quiet in my community. I think it is because it coincides with the tourist leaving as well so there is a big decrease in people out and about especially during the day..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Traffic gets a lot worse the first 2 weeks after school starts around here. After that, I'm not sure it just seems better because I've adjusted to it, or the people driving their kids to school get their routines more normalized.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I live behind a high school so the students parking lot, pool and some of the sports fields face my apartment building. I leave for work well before they arrive for school but sometimes get caught up in a short traffic jam when some are leaving from swim or water polo practice or the parents are double parked and blocking my way up the hill.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back to school affects me because we make garments for all the kids, for their sports, for the classes, for the band, for just back to school clothes! So we are a lot busier!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kids go back to school here in Jan/Feb. I start Weltec after the Summer in March. I was going to do Summer papers but I may just enjoy the break - Nov to March.