TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Cute Kitty Thought Processes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cute Kitty Thought Processes

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I'm watching TV while playing on the laptop. Under the coffee table are a few magazines. Gigi loves slick paper b/c I turn it into paper balls for her. I noticed she was trying to "wrestle" the cover of a cooking magazine; I guess she was trying to tear it off. No luck. Then she play-attacked my hand. I told her to quit and she did. About two minutes later, in trots Gigi from the hall carrying a paper ball in her mouth and very deliberately sets it as close to my feet as you can get and looks up at me I put 2 and 2 together and figured out that she got the idea of her "ball" by touching the magazine and when she couldn't make a ball out of it, she just went and got one she already had So cute! Been throwing the "ball" for about 10 minutes now. She just wanted to play!
post #2 of 11
Oh, cats are not stupid by any means! Sometimes I think they are smarter than we are. I make balls out of foil for my kitties, and anytime I take the foil out they all come running.

I love watching Gizmo trying to figure out how to jump up onto the top of the cabinets. The cabinets are right above the bar so its basically a vertical leap of 6 feet. She looks, she cocks her head, she raises her tail (to get the wind speed of the air con???), sits back down and makes a few practice pounce stances then readjusts. I know when she is ready to take off because she gets her little butt wagging...then UP she goes. She has NEVER missed! I always thought it would be easier if she just went over by the sink where she would have more of an arch to go, but I guess that just isn't enough of a challenge.
post #3 of 11
That's sweet!
post #4 of 11
Terrific story about clever Gigi! I know another cat named Gigi too. And it is also my "family" nick name. As in..my nieces and nephews call me "Aunt Gigi". Mine is pronounced "Gig-gee" with the hard *g*, though, not like the french soft g.

I can sit and watch my cats for hours at play. (er, and participate of course). Their minds are so innovative! I am positive cats have reasoning ability.
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto View Post
Terrific story about clever Gigi! I know another cat named Gigi too. And it is also my "family" nick name. As in..my nieces and nephews call me "Aunt Gigi". Mine is pronounced "Gig-gee" with the hard *g*, though, not like the french soft g.

I can sit and watch my cats for hours at play. (er, and participate of course). Their minds are so innovative! I am positive cats have reasoning ability.
They are so much fun to watch, aren't they?!

BTW, I don't use the French g either....my Gigi is pronounced Gee-Gee (like Gee whiz)
post #6 of 11
My girl's most amusing habit of late has been to come rushing over as soon as she hears the morning alarm, steal my hair-band off the bed-side table (which of course I need) and go careering full throttle through the house with it. Apparently it's a great game, especially seeing as mum's not awake
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmycats View Post
I'm watching TV while playing on the laptop. Under the coffee table are a few magazines. Gigi loves slick paper b/c I turn it into paper balls for her. I noticed she was trying to "wrestle" the cover of a cooking magazine; I guess she was trying to tear it off. No luck. Then she play-attacked my hand. I told her to quit and she did. About two minutes later, in trots Gigi from the hall carrying a paper ball in her mouth and very deliberately sets it as close to my feet as you can get and looks up at me I put 2 and 2 together and figured out that she got the idea of her "ball" by touching the magazine and when she couldn't make a ball out of it, she just went and got one she already had So cute! Been throwing the "ball" for about 10 minutes now. She just wanted to play!
"Duhh...Mom, how much more obvious did she need to make it?" Those are the times I bet she wishes she could speak english.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
"Duhh...Mom, how much more obvious did she need to make it?" Those are the times I bet she wishes she could speak english.
I'm not totally convinced they don't understand human speak, at least. They don't want us to know that though, because they reserve the right to ignore us at any time.
post #9 of 11
thats sooo cute flash likes crisp packets scrunched up ( tuck the packet into one of the bottom corners so it looks like a pyrimid) and she will play for days with it, she sits and wathes us eat all the crisps then will meercat pose untill we throw it for her hehe

Otto - I think your right, these two understand their names and words such as treats and come running but if you tell them to stop doing something then they act like they dont understand hehe
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -_aj_- View Post
thats sooo cute flash likes crisp packets scrunched up ( tuck the packet into one of the bottom corners so it looks like a pyrimid) and she will play for days with it, she sits and wathes us eat all the crisps then will meercat pose untill we throw it for her hehe

Otto - I think your right, these two understand their names and words such as treats and come running but if you tell them to stop doing something then they act like they dont understand hehe
Yeah! Like, who needs to buy cat toys anymore? Aren't they fascinating, these kitties? I never tire of watching Gigi's antics!!

And yeah, duh to mom...Gigi certainly did a GOOD job of expressing herself; I just needed to take note!!
post #11 of 11
When they were small, Dusty would put her paws on the second drawer from the bottom in the kitchen. She would then put her hind legs against the bottom drawer and lean back. She would then climb into the open drawer and open the top drawer in the same manner and then climb onto the counter. We had to put a dish towel over the stuff in that top drawer as it is our silverware drawer and DH got tired of washing it again. I had a pic of them on the counter after doing this in the "Bad Cats" thread for the contest.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Cute Kitty Thought Processes