Trying to adopt a new kitty!

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I shouldn't. But I'm in love. I might die if I'm not approved to take him home.

This is Mystery.

He is 8 years old, neutered and declawed. He is deaf and blind in one eye. And, yes his eyes are 2 different colors. I think he is just GORGEOUS. His last family had him his whole life then gave him up because he couldn't cope when the couple had a baby. They say he is quite skittish, but then who wouldn't be if they couldn't hear and could only see out of one eye? I filled out the application last night, and they are supposed to respond within 24 hours but with today being a holiday I'll give it until tomorrow. I already have the money set aside in case I am approved. I'm worried I won't be though, because they say he's a no dogs, no kids kind of cat and I do have a dog and will have kids within a few years. But hopefully I convinced them that we are a good home for him despite that. Besides, I don't think the puppy is a huge issue (Milo is a Chihuahua and is expected to weigh only 4-6 lbs full grown, so how much of a threat can he be?) and Mystery might get used to kids too, in time. I just don't think his former family gave him enough time to adjust before booting him out the door. I will be crushed if I am denied. Wish me luck and I will let you know how it turns out.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
WOW...he really is beautiful!
Good luck and I hope you are approved to adopt this special boy!
I had a deaf cat many years ago!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, he is a beauty!!
I don't think the kids would be a problem if you don't have any right now, and will let him settle in before having them. The dog might be though. Not that Milo would hurt him, but any Chihuahua I have ever met has been high strung, as in full of energy and wanting to play. With Mystery not being able to hear the dog coming near him, it may stress him out too much. Of course, some deaf cats are just fine sensing movements in the air with their whiskers so who knows?

I agree, I don't think the previous owners really worked on getting him comfortable with kids and that is a shame. I really hope you get him!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an FYI - many deaf cats, even with time, do *not* adjust to children. Ever. Neither of mine can tolerate even a 10 year old, if the kid grabs them - the cats attrack. So don't be too upset if they deny you, and don't like & tell them you will never have kids, either. I don't think anyone would be happy if in several years you have kids & he's miserable again. And even small dogs can be "mean" to cats, my lil doggie "buzzes" them trying to get them to play.

OK - what I'm trying to say, is that as the person who checks cat applications here - don't get too upset - right off the bat this group said no kids/no dogs - you already have a dog, and plan on kids - so I would likely be concerned about how he would fare & discuss it with you.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not wish to be a black cloud, I understand why you want him so much, but if Mystery is listed as a cat who would do best in a no dog no childen household, is it really fair to him to bring him into a home that has a dog and will have children?

Please don't think I am trying to be mean or hurt you. I'm just thinking about Mystery is all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I do not wish to be a black cloud, I understand why you want him so much, but if Mystery is listed as a cat who would do best in a no dog no childen household, is it really fair to him to bring him into a home that has a dog and will have children?

Please don't think I am trying to be mean or hurt you. I'm just thinking about Mystery is all.
Don't worry, I do understand what you all are saying, and I know everyone's just watching out for Mystery, which is a GOOD thing.

I was completely honest in filling out the application so whatever their decision is, it will be a well-informed one. The rescue group he is with keeps most of their adoptable pets in foster homes, and the foster family gets to see the applications too and help with the decision, and I'm sure they are the best people to make that call. If I am denied I will be very upset but I will also know it is for his own good. But at the same time, if I am approved despite my situation then I can only assume that they believe wholeheartedly, like I do, that time and stability are all he needs. Right?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you/they certain the cat is completely deaf and blind in one eye? I mean, I imagine they test for that before putting it in the cat's profile?

I'd just hate to see you miss a cat because someone assumed he was deaf because of the old wive's tales about odd-eyed cats.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mira's_mommy

I know I shouldn't. But I'm in love. I might die if I'm not approved to take him home.

This is Mystery.

He is 8 years old, neutered and declawed. He is deaf and blind in one eye. And, yes his eyes are 2 different colors. I think he is just GORGEOUS. His last family had him his whole life then gave him up because he couldn't cope when the couple had a baby. They say he is quite skittish, but then who wouldn't be if they couldn't hear and could only see out of one eye? I filled out the application last night, and they are supposed to respond within 24 hours but with today being a holiday I'll give it until tomorrow. I already have the money set aside in case I am approved. I'm worried I won't be though, because they say he's a no dogs, no kids kind of cat and I do have a dog and will have kids within a few years. But hopefully I convinced them that we are a good home for him despite that. Besides, I don't think the puppy is a huge issue (Milo is a Chihuahua and is expected to weigh only 4-6 lbs full grown, so how much of a threat can he be?) and Mystery might get used to kids too, in time. I just don't think his former family gave him enough time to adjust before booting him out the door. I will be crushed if I am denied. Wish me luck and I will let you know how it turns out.
What a beauty!! Good luck!!

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my adoption of Mystery is currently on hold.

They want all of my current cats to be vaccinated/spayed/neutered, etc. which is totally understandable. I have slowly been working on that with the low-cost clinic in my area, spay is $50, neuter is $30, and basic vaccinations are $10. Far cheaper than what any vet would charge but when you've got 10 cats that need doing it adds up. Kipper is already neutered but needs to be updated on his vaccines, so he is going to the vet Tuesday (the low cost clinic only does cats that are entering the spay/neuter program). I say 10 cats because while only 6 are mine, the rescue group insists that my room mate's cat be spayed too, as well as her four-day-old kittens. So I have to wait at least 2 more weeks to have Mira spayed, 8 weeks for Kiki, and then however long it is before both litters of kittens are old enough.

Other than that, they were okay with my situation, including the dog. BUT they also insist that I get Milo neutered as well, which I have somewhat of a problem with. I hadn't decided yet if I want to or not because he has show potential and I can't show him if he is neutered. Also he is AKC and CKC registered, and once he is fixed those papers are completely worthless. Even if I did decide to go ahead with it anyway, he is only 5 months old; he must be 6 months to be neutered, and my vet reccomends I wait even longer because of his size and the fact that chihuahuas often react badly to anesthesia.

So while they have made it very clear that I am still being considered, I'm not sure if it's worth jumping through all these hoops. I am planning to do everything they have asked anyhow, but on my own time. And it's not like I'm just putting it off, I did with Mira for a long time and I have learned my lesson. Callie goes to the clinic at the end of the month, and my fiance and I are making it top priority to send another one each month until they are all taken care of. With my income I would end up short-handed if I tried to do everyone in such a short time. And even if I do, I am playing the waiting game with Mira, Kiki, Milo, and the kittens, and who knows if Mystery will still be up for adoption 2, 4, 6 months from now?

So I have basically given up on the idea of bringing him home. Makes me very sad.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are disappointed, but it really does sound like the right decision. Your heart is in the right place, but the household sounds much too chaotic for such a sensitive nervous cat. It sounds like Mystery needs a quiet single cat home for him to be happy. Most dumped declawed cats do.

Better for you and all concerned in your home to concentrate on getting the pets you have taken care of.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'm sorry you are disappointed, but it really does sound like the right decision. Your heart is in the right place, but the household sounds much too chaotic for such a sensitive nervous cat. It sounds like Mystery needs a quiet single cat home for him to be happy. Most dumped declawed cats do.

Better for you and all concerned in your home to concentrate on getting the pets you have taken care of.
You are right. My fiance pointed out to me that what I would have paid for the adoption fee would fix 2 of the cats I have already. I think he's secretly happy that it isn't going to work out. He says that it doesn't seem like too many cats now but once the kittens are bigger it will be another story so he is begging me to wait until they are grown before I start looking for a new cat. And I know he's right so for now I'm good with the ones I have. Maybe once they are all fixed and vaccinated I will reconsider.

I do hope they find a good home for Mystery though. I will be very sad if I go on petfinder.com again in 6 months and he's still up for adoption.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would say no to your application until they were all spayed/neutered also (and even then I probably would not let a deaf / partially blind cat go to a household with so many animals) and I hate to ask, but if you are working slowly with a low cost vet for spay/neuters - do you have money aside for if he gets sick? At 8 years you are looking at senior panels for bloodwork and the start of 'old age issues'.

I would really rethink this, especially if you are not sure about showing your dog

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is almost two months old, and as far as I know, she did not adopt Mystery.

(I think they may have rescued a stray from the street, though)

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
this is the girl I want to adopt, I've wanted her since I first saw her at the shetler... 6 months ago =0( BUT, her tags say she's afraid of dogs. I know MY dogs wouldn't so much as even go near her if she didn't want them there, but I'd rather not bring her home if she's going to have a hard time being here cause of my dogs =0(

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14178975

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by P&R

this is the girl I want to adopt, I've wanted her since I first saw her at the shetler... 6 months ago =0( BUT, her tags say she's afraid of dogs. I know MY dogs wouldn't so much as even go near her if she didn't want them there, but I'd rather not bring her home if she's going to have a hard time being here cause of my dogs =0(

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14178975
Yes, it would be quite horrible to adopt a cat who is afraid of dogs, into a household with dogs, and I can't see any shelter or rescue allowing it!

There are thousands of cats to choose from, so you are right, the unselfish thing to do is to give up the idea of taking this one, and find one who is NOT afraid of dogs.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the kindest thing to do is to allow the kitty to go to a home that will be the best match. There have been so many kitties at the shelter that I have wanted, but I feel like I couldn't provide what they needed. I had a favorite cat that I basicly saved & I did his adoption, I got in my car & cried. I wanted him so bad, but knew I was doing the right thing. I recently got photos & he looks awsome. He has gained weight (he was a little too thin), loves the other kitty he is living with and is generally doing wonderful. So as hard as that day was I know I did the right thing. I think before we take them home it's improtant to really think if we can provide the purrfect home.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Sometimes the kindest thing to do is to allow the kitty to go to a home that will be the best match. There have been so many kitties at the shelter that I have wanted, but I feel like I couldn't provide what they needed. I had a favorite cat that I basicly saved & I did his adoption, I got in my car & cried.
I often do that, after Scully died and I was looking for a cat, I seriously thought about each one of my favourites at the shelter but as much as I loved them, they just were not good fits. Thankfully, all but one of them who is sick currently and not adoptable, have found homes so I dont feel so bad