What is causing the stink?

tiberius709

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not a real serious issue but I wanted to ask advice.

What is causing my kittens poop to stink so bad? I understand poop doesn't smell like roses, however, it almost makes me gag. I can always tell when one of the kittens just used the restroom because it hits me shortly after.

Is it food? The Litter? Internal issues?

Right now we are feeding them Science Diet, which I am in the process of switching because I didn't realize it was so bad. We use Arm and Hammer Multiple Cats (or something like that) litter.

Any suggestions?

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely something in the food. Just change over and see if there is a difference, and keep trying, you will eventually find something without the offending ingredient. FWIW, I have never fed Science Diet, but did try Iams dry and the cat box stank to high heaven. Went back to Whiskas and the problem went away. I never did compare labels to see what the offending ingredient might have been but it doesn't matter, wont buy that brand again.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most likely food offender s... CORN , Wheat , SOY and animal by products...

I use chicken feed and benonite clay for litter little stink issues

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be the food, as others have said, but I had the same issue with my cat, she could clear the room. We finally got a fecal test done, and it came back positive for Giardia. Then, reading up on giardia, I found that it pretty much causes stinky loose stools. 10 days of antibiotic pills later, she's been pretty much odor free ever since. And no more runny poos, just some nice tootsie rolls.
So if you haven't had any fecal tests done, you might want to take a bag-o-poo to the vet..

In any case, good luck, hope the kittens get better soon!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with DarkMavis, in thinking you are dealing with a parasite problem. have they ever been dewormed?

Don't use an OTC dewormer, please! get the medicine from the vet. All cats will need to be treated.

Please keep us updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiberius709

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'm with DarkMavis, in thinking you are dealing with a parasite problem. have they ever been dewormed?

Don't use an OTC dewormer, please! get the medicine from the vet. All cats will need to be treated.

Please keep us updated
They haven't been dewormed yet. I am calling the vet this morning to make an appointment.

I can take poop to do a fecal test but, considering I have two kittens, how do I know which cat's poop is which? Or if it's from the same kitten or one?

I don't like to do OTC things with animals just because I feel like I'm not the expert.
Plus I don't want to mess anything up or make them sick.

Could they have a parasite problem/worms but no worms in their poop?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiberius709

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

Could be the food, as others have said, but I had the same issue with my cat, she could clear the room. We finally got a fecal test done, and it came back positive for Giardia. Then, reading up on giardia, I found that it pretty much causes stinky loose stools. 10 days of antibiotic pills later, she's been pretty much odor free ever since. And no more runny poos, just some nice tootsie rolls.
So if you haven't had any fecal tests done, you might want to take a bag-o-poo to the vet..

In any case, good luck, hope the kittens get better soon!
Thank you for the advice, I am definitely going to take it!

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiberius709

I can take poop to do a fecal test but, considering I have two kittens, how do I know which cat's poop is which? Or if it's from the same kitten or one?

I don't like to do OTC things with animals just because I feel like I'm not the expert.
Plus I don't want to mess anything up or make them sick.

Could they have a parasite problem/worms but no worms in their poop?
Take a sample of both kitties stools in.
I am not sure how you could go about getting one from each,without getting stools from the same kitty.Maybe someone else has suggestions?

Yes,it is possible they have a parasite,but you do not see worms in the feces.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiberius709

Doesn't make any difference. If one of them has it, likely both do. Worms (round and tape) are common. Giardia, coccidia, and Tritrichimonous foetus are the most common microscopic parasites, and any of them can be very serious.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Doesn't make any difference. If one of them has it, likely both do. Worms (round and tape) are common. Giardia, coccidia, and Tritrichimonous foetus are the most common microscopic parasites, and any of them can be very serious.
the Tritrichimonous is also harder to diagnosis since it requires special testing

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Yep, I second that, if one has a bug, they both probably do so just get a sample..

If it is giardia, good luck with the antibiotic pills for that, they are apparently super bitter so harder to give than a regular pill... in my experience there was no nice way to do it. glop of butter on the pill, shoved in the back of the mouth so it slides down. Sad but necessary.

Keep us posted! And good luck!