Archie's poo and metronidizole

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foster boy Archie was put on Panacur (7days) and metronidizole for his diarrhea/soft stool issues... I recently completed his first 14 day course of treatment and because he is tolerating it (I hide it in really good canned salmon and tuna juice), the vet gave me a second round. I am not finding any poo puddles or mush in the litter boxes and he seems to be doing well. I hope, hope, hope - this knocks out the problem. I still have to wonder if he has some underlying food intolerance. We shall see.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great that the vet finally put him on a round of Panacur! Hopefully it and the extended course of Metronidazole will finally get him better.
for Archie and
for you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittymonsters

That is great that the vet finally put him on a round of Panacur! Hopefully it and the extended course of Metronidazole will finally get him better.
for Archie and
for you
Thanks, KM. Yeah - the vet was FINE about giving Arch panacur... but it appears that it is the metro is fixing his poo problem. He had four neg fecals, a giardia SNAP test - neg and the fecal cytology was abnormal but didn't show G. Lots of mucous - indicating colitis... but don't know what caused the inflammation.

I made sure to tell the rescue director that Arch was on metro AND panacur. She was soooooo resistant to the idea.. and had told me vets wont give to cats,blah, blah blah.....wrong.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo had issues with diarrhea for the first 2 or three years of her life. She was on Flagyl (metronidizole) numerous times, and eventually my vet diagnosed IBD. We didn't do an endoscope for biopsy because of her CRF. When she was about 4, my basement flooded (sewer backup) and all three girls came down with Giardia. It was a nightmare. After they all had metronidizole to cure it, Cleo has never had diarrhea again. I really don't know what the original problem was...maybe a low grade Giardia that didn't show up on the fecal?

We did have a problem with elevated liver enzymes (ALT) every time she was on the Flagyl. They returned to normal every time, a few weeks after finishing the metronizizole.

Good luck! I hope Archie continues to do well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Cleo had issues with diarrhea for the first 2 or three years of her life. She was on Flagyl (metronidizole) numerous times, and eventually my vet diagnosed IBD. We didn't do an endoscope for biopsy because of her CRF. When she was about 4, my basement flooded (sewer backup) and all three girls came down with Giardia. It was a nightmare. After they all had metronidizole to cure it, Cleo has never had diarrhea again. I really don't know what the original problem was...maybe a low grade Giardia that didn't show up on the fecal?

We did have a problem with elevated liver enzymes (ALT) every time she was on the Flagyl. They returned to normal every time, a few weeks after finishing the metronizizole.

Good luck! I hope Archie continues to do well!
Wow! All three??? Ugh!!! All I know is that he is producing normal feces. Now - when he comes off of the metronidizole... let's see what happens. Thanks for your good wishes.