What color is this?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this gorgeous cat this morning and was trying to figure out what the color would be called. He is listed as a silver mackerel tabby but that doesn't look correct to me. I thought he was a blue classic tabby, but he has more of a cream color?

If I didn't already have so many cats I would adopt him immediately!

Link:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...petid=14576623

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shouldn't reply to these colour questions because my monitor makes everything look more warm than they really are.. But I'm going to do it anyway. Blue golden classic tabby bicolor comes to mind when I first looked at the pic.

(*edit* the color looks a bit too even to be a diluted torbie?)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not silver at all (silvers have green eye color and are almost a black and silver-white color.

IMO it reminds me of a Lavender Classic Tabby & White. Lavender is a blueish pink color.

http://catiators.ocicat.com/abtcolors.htm

This is Jack's breeder with the colors of the Ocicat - notice the same shading of the Lavender Oci's compared to this cat.

Because Lavender is really only found in purebred cats, you would know that this guy has to have some kind of purebred in the immediate backgroud. Could even BE an Ocicat in the background!

Its NOT a blue-cream tabby - that is a totally different color

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO it reminds me of a Lavender Classic Tabby & White. Lavender is a blueish pink color.
Thank you! I was afraid to mention the lavender (a.k.a lilac) 'coz I thought it's just my monitor playing tricks on me.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That looks like a show cat!
Beautiful!!!! Bet he'll be adopted quickly!!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say blue over lilac/lavender. The swirls are mushroom-pink like the underside of a blue Aby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just did a search for lilac tabby and he does kinda look like a lilac... Man I really wish I could adopt him, the descriptions says he's really outgoing/friendly so I bet he'd make a great show cat...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was thinking the same thing - what a great show prospect!

Maybe I can talk you into trading my Ling (black & white) if you go get Wolfy for me

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely adopt him if I didn't already have 4 boys!

This is the description they gave on Petfinder:

"Wolfy is a sweet, social, fun, handsome and extremely playful nine-month-old, silver mackerel tabby kitten waiting for the perfect home at the Felines Inc shelter in Chicago. Wolfy loves to play other cats and people. He is friendly, wiggly, and loves to be petted and played with. Wolfy is very healthy, has all his claws, is neutered, up-to-date on vaccines, tested for viruses, micro-chipped and ready for a loving home"

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm crazy-- I emailed the shelter to see if he's still there. He is, they said "He's a great little guy that has A LOT of energy! He's playful & cuddly and definitely needs a companion to roll around with all day."

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go for it - bring him home. Not only would you give him a great home, but you would be willing to get that guy out in a show!

One of my top HHP winners was an odd-eye black & white (one blue, one green eye). My aunt, who lived in the city, called us to tell us about this kitten with 2 different color eyes. We asked her the color, etc. and immediately went to get her. I didn't want that cat on the streets any more.

She was about 6 months old and a perfectly marked bicolor (black & white equal) with one dark Siamese blue eye and one green eye. She was spayed and entered (with bare belly) in a cat show - and walked away with 3 BEST HHP's and a Morris Trophy for her very first cat show. Every judge was fasinated with her personality and striking markings.

This guy is special - hope you can go get him. BTW if you do, I have a great name suggestion for you.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Neat story Goldenkitty! That cat sounded stunning too!
How exciting Nekochan!! Let us know how it turns out!! Sounds real good re: wanting to play with other kitties.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the shelter might be closed tomorrow but I may go see him on Tuesday.
Yes the playing with other kitties sounds good. My 1-year-old cats love to play, especially Harley. I know she would love a younger cat...
A few months ago I took home a young kitten for the weekend from work (vet office) because he was getting adopted on Tuesday and they didn't want him to be there alone over the weekend. Harley was completely smitten by him, slept cuddled up with him and groomed him. It was adorable! All the cats had no problem with him either.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks like a Blue Tabby & White to me. That warm colour looks like oyster.

He's definitely not high grade silver.

Here's some photos of my Nana's blue tabby bicolour, can you see the warmth oatmeal colouring in her coat? Probably not, but she's a mk anyway.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I disagree, but pictures are deceiving sometimes. We all know he's NOT a sillver. I still say the color is off for a blue - still looks lavender to me. Anyone got a lavender Brit picture we can compare.

Found one

http://www.iams.com/iams/en_US/data_...c___blu_lg.htm

Still think he's not a blue tabby - he just looks "off color" to me
Northen Glow said Golden so golden = silver, essentially so no not everybody said he wasn't silver and the shelter had him listed as silver too. I'm just as entitled to share what I think -- even if it it after everybody else.

I don't know why you're sharing a photo of another blue? That's quite a cold colour for a blue tabby, and badly marked too. Hence less oatmeal.

On every colour thread I'm sure two people never give the same advice so it must be so confusing for the poor owners. Recently I saw in fur pics a brown tabby & white had been given about 6 different colours. How confusing is that!

On Happy ^^^ you can see the oatmeal and since she's a mk she has less then the classics. I think the kitten is drop dead gorgeous anyway! (to the OP!)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I was trying to find a lavender Brit and picked the wrong photo. I agree that some people don't have the best descriptions for colors. Brown tabbies are big one as you can get the dark black-brown (cold) color to a warm honey brown color and all of them are classified as a BROWN tabby.

I do know that blues and lavenders are the hardest colors to photograph their true color in person.

Too bad we can't see that cat IN person to really tell what he may be.