Computer Mites!?

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I got a new computer a couple of weeks ago.Since getting it,I have found 5 tiny,white or reddish mites crawling along the screen.Not all at once...so I thought maybe they were coming from somewhere else and happened to be on my screen.

However I did just find TWO today,which made me decide to look it up.Apparently this is not uncommon...there is a type of mite that can infest the inside of computers...

Now...has anyone dealt with this? What can I do?
I have only found 5 so far...but I wanna do what I can before it gets out of hand!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen or heard of it and I hope there isn't anything crawling around inside our computers, yuck what a terrible thought.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I've never heard of that, I would have assumed that they are plant mites that are attracted by the light of your monitor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have plants.
But apparently computer mites do exist! They are a type of spider mite or something like that.

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the computer needs to be debugged.

Seriously, ask around and see if any of your friends are planning to bug bomb soon, and when someone does, take your computer over to get in on it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ebrillblaiddes

Seriously, ask around and see if any of your friends are planning to bug bomb soon, and when someone does, take your computer over to get in on it.
Great idea, except that can potentially fry a computer. Some of the "bug bombs" leave a residue that, if you read the cans, the instructions tell you that you must rewash dishes and such to remove. That same residue can short circuit delicate electronics.
I remember someone on here having this happen to them.

To the OP: Is it a desktop? If so unplug you pc and let it sit for about an hour then open it up and clean it out. Everyone should be doing this with their desktops, anyways, as built up dust will cause heat issues. And with cats in the home it's a guarantee that some cat hair has found it's way inside.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a bit tougher. It can be done, but it's not as easy - you could always ask a local computer shop if they'll clean it out. Provided that the laptop isn't under warranty still, otherwise you may void it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I remember reading about mites in Dell monitors that a retailer had to return. If it's new, can you exchange it?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

So I got a new computer a couple of weeks ago.Since getting it,I have found 5 tiny,white or reddish mites crawling along the screen.Not all at once...so I thought maybe they were coming from somewhere else and happened to be on my screen.

However I did just find TWO today,which made me decide to look it up.Apparently this is not uncommon...there is a type of mite that can infest the inside of computers...

Now...has anyone dealt with this? What can I do?
I have only found 5 so far...but I wanna do what I can before it gets out of hand!
I'd call the dealer where you got it. They should have some advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks.I am going to check in and see what can be done.
I have not found any mites since...so maybe it is nothing!?