I got my tongue pierced!

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'm crazy! I've wanted it for years and Tuesday I actually did it. It really didn't hurt but, it is swollen and eating isn't exactly easy. They say I should be back to normal in 2 weeks. I've eating some baby food and and tried mashed potatoes today.

Slimfast seem to be the easiest. Who knows...maybe I'll lose a few pounds. :p

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shold be able to eat in a few days. Try to avoid things like pasta and cheese though... anything that might get wrapped or caught on the barbell. Also, Listerine is your friend! Use it often! I found that it actually helped with the pain and swelling too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I was told to buy a non alcoholic mouthwash so that's what I have been using. And sea salt mixed with water. Can't wait to eat real food again! I was starving yesterday.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can eat real food it will just take you about 5x's longer than usual!
But it's a lot of fun once it's healed.

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also eat some yogurt with acidophillus -- my friend overused mouthwash when he got his tongue pierced and killed enough good bacteria on his tongue to get a bad yeast infection. poor guy

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should be back to normal way before 2 weeks. I got mine pierced, oh let me think... almost 10 years ago, December 2 1999 I believe, and the swelling went down after a few days. Eating was hard, kind of impossible, even soup was hard!
I love mine, I don't know if it was on purpose or not but the piercer did it further back then I see most people's, so I can hide it easily, it's not obnoxious and just hanging out there.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats!

Do not use an alcohol based mouthwash,these are way too harsh on a new piercing.I used Biotene when I got mine done (6-7 yrs ago now) and it worked great.I also lived off of yogurt for a week,because I couldn't chew anything...it felt weird at first! The swelling should go down in a few days.

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took me two weeks to get to eating solid food..... first thing I ate... a slice of plain pizza.... took 2.5hrs but was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo GOOD!!!!!

I ate lots of icecream, mashed taters (yum), and chicken broth! I found taking an advil or two a day really kept the swelling down (Tynol won't do anything for swelling, its gotta be advil/ibprophin sp?)

Enjoy your new piercing!!!

PS my other advice is to wait a few months b4 chanig the barbell yourself, I'd go back and have a shorter one put in after about a month.... then wait to change it for a while

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG That is sooo cool!! I love how pierced tongue looks but I'm too scared to do it because I'm afraid it will be too much trouble to take care of my tongue that way

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took my tongue piercing out earlier this year (as I always removed it for conferences/presentations etc, and started doing more and more of those) after having it pierced for over 10 years (was 16 when I had it done). I miss it sometimes

Swelling shouldnt last more than a couple of days if you are sucking on ice, can also try some ibuprofen.
As for those who keep saying ouch....it doesnt really hurt...biting the side of your tongue accidentally hurts much more -- there are very few nerves in and around the centre of the tongue

Salt water is good to use to avoid thrust infections....

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had mine in for quite a few yrs now.... It's funny because when I take it out I slur my words. I'm so used to it being there and talking to avoid it hitting my teeth that I try talking the same way and it comes out slurred for a bit LOL.

I was eating most foods within 3-5 days of having it done.

Be careful of your teeth though, tongue piercings are high in the list of things that damage teeth. That's the only way I'll remove mine, if my dentist tells me he's seeing damage, its coming out. Dental work is not cheap.

Hope it heals well for you

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used salt water every few hours the first 2 days and mine healed really quick. I've since taken it out, but most people never even knew I had it as you couldn't see when I talked.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bad_kitty2001

Maybe I'm crazy! I've wanted it for years and Tuesday I actually did it. It really didn't hurt but, it is swollen and eating isn't exactly easy. They say I should be back to normal in 2 weeks.
Am I showing my age if I ask, "Why?"