Three bean salad problem

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My three bean salad contains green beans, wax beans, and kidney beans. I have a relative that is not allowed to eat green beans (or any green vegetable) due to health reasons. What can I replace the green beans with? I thought about carrots but I don't think they really belong in this salad. Black beans are too similar to kidney beans. I don't think garbanzo beans, pinto beans, or great northern beans would work. I can't think of any other type of bean. But then, maybe one of the beans I mentioned would work, I don't know. Any suggestions?

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the chick peas option. I think it works really well.

I made 3 bean salad only once actually, but I used black, kidney, chick peas and green beans. So it was a 4 bean salad, yes.
I need to make it again, it's so yummy and healthy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll give the chick peas a try.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chick peas sound good to me. I know 3 bean salad should only have 3 beans, but I usually use the bag with 7 different kinds of beans and skip the green beans all together. Hmmmm...I guess that would techincally be 7 bean salad.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious why you think chick peas (garbanza beans) wouldn't work? What about soy beans? Not edamami (green/fresh), but the regular soy bean? Soy bean is DELICIOUS on salads.... Another one that might be good is Blackeye Peas.... anyways - just throwing a couple more options if you really don't want the garbanza in it...

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use garbanzo beans here. And if you want to add more interest, add diced bell peppers and onions. If you use black beans, seasoning it with salsa is really good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Just curious why you think chick peas (garbanza beans) wouldn't work? What about soy beans? Not edamami (green/fresh), but the regular soy bean? Soy bean is DELICIOUS on salads.... Another one that might be good is Blackeye Peas.... anyways - just throwing a couple more options if you really don't want the garbanza in it...
I think the flavor of chick peas might not go with the salad. Chick peas always taste like chicken to me and I don't think chicken really goes in a three bean salad. I probably should've mentioned that it's a three bean salad with an oil, vinegar, and sugar dressing. I always forget that there are different kinds of three bean salads with entirely different dressings. But I'll try chick peas anyway, I'll just make a small batch to test before making a big thing of it.

I don't know where I would find soy beans at. I know many of the local farmers grow them, but I have never seen them in the grocery stores. They're probably at one of those expensive, fancy grocery stores like Harris Teeter. I'll try looking there. I'd love to try soy beans, I've never had any before. Are they in the produce section or should I be looking for frozen soy beans? I don't know because I've never even seen them before.

I asked my mother where I can get soy beans from and she suggested Sims Farm. It took me a few seconds to figure out what she was talking about. Ha ha. What a funny mother.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilblu

I think the flavor of chick peas might not go with the salad. Chick peas always taste like chicken to me and I don't think chicken really goes in a three bean salad. I probably should've mentioned that it's a three bean salad with an oil, vinegar, and sugar dressing. I always forget that there are different kinds of three bean salads with entirely different dressings. But I'll try chick peas anyway, I'll just make a small batch to test before making a big thing of it.

I don't know where I would find soy beans at. I know many of the local farmers grow them, but I have never seen them in the grocery stores. They're probably at one of those expensive, fancy grocery stores like Harris Teeter. I'll try looking there. I'd love to try soy beans, I've never had any before. Are they in the produce section or should I be looking for frozen soy beans? I don't know because I've never even seen them before.

I asked my mother where I can get soy beans from and she suggested Sims Farm. It took me a few seconds to figure out what she was talking about. Ha ha. What a funny mother.
My bean salad is made with chick peas, and the dressing is similar, but no sugar + balsamic vinegar, olive oil, tomatoes, onions.... yum!!! Yes, Soy beans - delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you want to PM me your city, so I can try to figure out where you might be able to find it?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I make a 4 bean salad with green beans, wax beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans. It also has a vinegar, sugar and oil dressing. I garnish it with green pepper and onion rings. Yummm...I haven't made it in years...I think I'm going to have to make some this weekend!