Scottish Fold Outcrossing

katgoddess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is just a question for my own curiosity only.

What breeds are Scottish Folds currently allowed to be outcrossed to? I know American and British Shorthairs are on the list...are there anymore?

(For those of you who really want to know, an acquaintance of mine is thinking of purchasing a Fold from a breeder. The sire is a Persian and the dam is a Scottish Fold. The breeder told my friend that the kitten is breeding quality, but not show quality until 3 generations later. Just wondering if this is "legit".)

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatGoddess

This is just a question for my own curiosity only.

What breeds are Scottish Folds currently allowed to be outcrossed to? I know American and British Shorthairs are on the list...are there anymore?
(From the CFA and TICA Breed Standards online)

Scottish Fold Permitted Outcrosses - CFA:
Americian Shorthair
British Shorthair

Scottish Fold Permitted Outcrosses - TICA:
Americian Shorthair
British Shorthair
British Longhair

I'm sorry I don't know about the number of generations from the outcross is necessary to show the Fold...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think I've heard of anyone outcrossing to Persians, we are only allowed BSH over here.

Usually 4 or 5 generations are considered full breed.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ACFA only allows the American or British SH cats for outcrosses. I would not buy the cat if its a SF x Persian cross!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does your friend know where the kittens are registered? (eg: CFA, TICA, ect.)

If the cats cannot be shown as a member of a breed, then I would be very concerned that they are not an actual member of that breed. Some registeries allow any outcross of choice to be used, but the offspring cannot be shown for 3 generations. This would be indicated by an additional code to the breed name.

For example, if a breeder wanted to cross a "Burlilly" with a "Vangora" they would be allowed to register the kittens as either a Burlilly X or a Vangora X. The X would remain until the third generation, and then the cats would be considered full fledged Burlilly cats (or Vangoras.) Cats with an X are not eligible for show competition. The breeds I named are fictional, of course, but the method of breeding/registration is not.

Finally, if the cat is purchased to be breeding quality, then your friend must consider if any SF breeders out there would want to breed their cats to a Persian/Fold cross.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few Scottish Fold/Persian programmes have been developed here -to get that roundness and the body. Some of the best scotties are actually from these lines but if it's not an allowable outcross in that registry, then I would give the cat a miss.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brits will produce more of a rounded head/body then the Americans - most outcrosses are with the Brits.

Same for the Selkirks - the look is more rounded and closer to a Brit type, so the Brits are used much more often then any other outcross.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Scottish Fold has BSH sire and Foldie dam. The dam has several Exotics and few Persians in her pedigree, but they are just barely 'far enough' making the kittens 3 generation 'purebred folds' (TICA reg.).

This is a quote from TICA's registration rules (mutation breeds):
"Requirements for Championship Exhibition. There can be no
unknown or unregistered cats within the three generation pedigree unless a
special exception is made for the breed due to an unusually limited gene pool.
Hybridization is acceptable within the pedigree provided these outcrosses are
to one of the listed accepted outcross breeds."
Requirements for Registration. A cat which is the product of two
members of this breed shall be considered a purebred of this breed. The hybrid
between this breed and an accepted outcross breed shall be considered a first generation purebred if it conforms to the standard, otherwise a first generation "variant". A cat which is the product of two members of an accepted outcross breed which conforms to the standard of the variant or mutation breed shall also be considered a first generation purebred.
Allowed outcrosses are British Short- and Longhairs and American Shorthair.

The example written by FerrisCat is also true, so if you would get a Fold x Persian kitten, you could not show it in championship class, but is breeding quality and her/his kittens would be show quality 3 generations later if bred 'correctly' (in TICA).

(I'm struggling with a similar problem, but a BLH with a Selkirk Rex as her great grandfather).