Weight loss - before and after

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, last year I was at my heaviest, and diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Fast forward a year and my weight is down to 140lbs, my cholesterol and blood pressure are lower, and I'm overall healthier.

So I figured I'd show a before and after (DH has lost some weight too!).

At my heaviest (180lbs, approx. size: 16):

And recently (140lbs, approx. size: 10)!!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You go, girl! I'm so happy for you!
I think you're beautiful in both pics, but your face looks so radiant in the 2nd pic. And I know how much better you feel health-wise. It's amazing, isn't it?

I've been there myself. I actually weighed more than you, and am only 5ft tall. In 1995, I found out I was pre-diabetic (Type II, which is often casued by being overweight; I weighed 198 lbs. once). I never got on a scale for my final weight, but I know at a size 10, I was weighed at the dr's, and I was 126 lbs. I lost a lot more eventually; I went from a size 22 in jeans; normally 16-18/XL in everything else, down to a size 4-6 (sometimes even size 2)/small/ex-small. I did sometimes need an 8 for the pants, etc.--I've always been a bit bigger below.

I did put on some weight--I'd say about 10-15 lbs since marriage 5 years ago, though. I just went on a diet to lose that 2 weeks ago, and can see that I've already lost weight (I never have owned a scale, so I'm not sure how much).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone!!!! It was a long road, but with the help of a great doctor and being aware of my pitfalls when dieting, I've managed to keep my weight at 140 for about 5 months now.

Originally Posted by MargeCat

You go, girl! I'm so happy for you!
I think you're beautiful in both pics, but your face looks so radiant in the 2nd pic. And I know how much better you feel health-wise. It's amazing, isn't it?

I've been there myself. I actually weighed more than you, and am only 5ft tall. In 1995, I found out I was pre-diabetic (Type II, which is often casued by being overweight; I weighed 198 lbs. once). I never got on a scale for my final weight, but I know at a size 10, I was weighed at the dr's, and I was 126 lbs. I lost a lot more eventually; I went from a size 22 in jeans; normally 16-18/XL in everything else, down to a size 4-6 (sometimes even size 2)/small/ex-small. I did sometimes need an 8 for the pants, etc.--I've always been a bit bigger below.

I did put on some weight--I'd say about 10-15 lbs since marriage 5 years ago, though. I just went on a diet to lose that 2 weeks ago, and can see that I've already lost weight (I never have owned a scale, so I'm not sure how much).
I'm only 5'2", so I hear ya. My lowest weight was 120, but that was when I was a freshman in college. I'm an hourglass, so the extra pounds really do look nice on me, lol.

My measurements were: bust - 42.5, waist - 35.5, and hips - 43, but now they are: bust - 38, waist - 30.5, hips - 39.

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're giving me some hope. I seem to be stuck at 150, so I need to bump it up again! You look great!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You look very pretty in both pics, but I am glad you're much healthier!! Congrats for having the courage and self discipline!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're so pretty! And you really do seem to be glowing in the second picture. You look very happy.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the weight loss to you and your husband. I lost 30 lbs 5 years ago, going from 160-130 (currently 140 - I think! I've gained muscle mass too), going from size 12-14 jeans to size 8. Maintaining is the toughest part.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!
It really has been a combination of trying to eat right and my thyroid being regulated with medication.

lync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You look fantastic! Did you just watch what you eat and portion size? I was diagnosed with hypothryoidism last week. My metabolism is zero. I had a TSH of 115.0 and that is very high. My doctor gave me Levothyroxin 125mg. and I just started taking them. I hope it helps with metabolism and appetite control. I have gained 30 lbs. in 3 years. It just keeps on coming on and it is so frustrating. To be eating so carefully and exercising too. I am so depressed.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lync

You look fantastic! Did you just watch what you eat and portion size? I was diagnosed with hypothryoidism last week. My metabolism is zero. I had a TSH of 115.0 and that is very high. My doctor gave me Levothyroxin 125mg. and I just started taking them. I hope it helps with metabolism and appetite control. I have gained 30 lbs. in 3 years. It just keeps on coming on and it is so frustrating. To be eating so carefully and exercising too. I am so depressed.
My doctor recommended a low-carb diet, specifically the one outlined in the book Protein Power. Also, I think because my thyroid is normalized now, that helped the weight melt off. I'm on Amour Thyroid, 1.5 grains. If you find yourself being told your numbers are normal after a time, but you still have the symptoms, try talking to your doctor about natural dessicated thyroid hormone treatment. Armour is simply a name brand.

Btw, my highest TSH came back at 7.95, so 115 is extremely high. I had also gained 20lbs in less than 6 months. I was 160lbs May 2008, and by August I was already up to 175 (I gained the last 5 between August and October). By October I got a new doctor (holistic) and it's been coming off since then.

Good luck!!!