Gem stones anyone?

caitsith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have an interest in gemstones? ( Apart from wearing them ! ) I mean, like collecting them etc? Ive been interested in them since i was little.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! I love looking at them. When I'm not spending so much on here, I like making jewelry out of stone beads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caitsith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YAY ! Im not the only geek !!I would love to make jewelry from them. Ive got quite a large collection. I'd love to post picture of them to show you but im not sure if i can post a picture of that, can i? Mind you, i always go a bit gaga over colours and sparklie things
Hubby thinks im nuts !! And i go soppy when i go into an art shop !! How iv'e never been asked to leave i dont know!!!!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

caitsith,..
there are a member here who is an expert on Gems...
I´ll send you this thread for wait her comments!..
Did I hear my name? I am Gemlady for a reason.

I have been collecting mnerals and fossils and cutting stones for jewelry since 1975. I inherited Mom and Dad's acquisitions (but have to sell most because I don't have the space.
)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love gems, minerals, fossils...etc!! I don't have Jan's knowledge or skills, but I could spend hours just looking at them! I used to go to a gem and mineral show every year; but I've missed the most recent ones. I miss going too!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect moonstones, and have about 20 of them in various sizes. I also have a couple of lavander color ones that are quite rare. I've gotten most of mine off ebay, and also from junk jewelry I have bought a flea markets and rummage sales. I just scrap the settings and keep the stones.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a fairly large collection of semi precious and other random stones. When I was moving out of my father's home he let other people go through my stuff and pick out what they wanted.
I still mourn the loss of those stones.

I still have some of the unpolished stones from my collection, though. I wish I had more pieces of petoskey stone.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I used to have a fairly large collection of semi precious and other random stones. When I was moving out of my father's home he let other people go through my stuff and pick out what they wanted.
I still mourn the loss of those stones.

I still have some of the unpolished stones from my collection, though. I wish I had more pieces of petoskey stone.
Did I see Petoskey stone? It's Michigan's state stone. Want some???

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Did I see Petoskey stone? It's Michigan's state stone. Want some???
I need to get my mother to send me some.
And yes I know its the state stone there, it was in Michigan that I picked some up - it's the only place you can get it.

caitsith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I need to get my mother to send me some.
And yes I know its the state stone there, it was in Michigan that I picked some up - it's the only place you can get it.
This is great, i have never known anyone else that is in to gem stones and fossils!
Has anyone got a picture of a petoskey stone ?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cool geod when I was in Jr High. My science teacher at the time wanted to see it so he could show it to my class and the other science classes. I went to pick it up after school and he conveniently "lost" it. I think he stole it or someone else did. It was soooo pretty too!

I also used to have a necklace that the coloring of the stone was in the shape of the United States. It was so pretty looking. I have no idea what happened to that one.

jupeycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm interested in gem stones, fossils and I'm a beachcomber though I've never found any fossils myself. We've just come back from Whitby - the land of jet

caitsith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Petoskey stone is a fossil coral from the Petoskey, Michigan area. Soft, but cutable for jewelry.

http://www.bernardine.com/gemstones/petoskey.htm
Thanks for the the link ! Im SO jelouse of you !!
This is a small part of my collection sorry it's not a good photo but i will get better ones and my fossils too!