Cat water fountains

frogmanjared

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm considering getting Gaia a water fountain bowl... she's always begging to get up onto the counters when where washing our hands/dishes and don't want her to lick around such dirty places(even condensation on the outer part of toilet!) What's the best model for a cheap price?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by frogmanjared

I'm considering getting Gaia a water fountain bowl... she's always begging to get up onto the counters when where washing our hands/dishes and don't want her to lick around such dirty places(even condensation on the outer part of toilet!) What's the best model for a cheap price?
You are going to get as many suggestions as there are fountains.
We all have our favourites. I tried PetMate and didn't like it. I now have a CatIt and love it. Some folks feel just the opposite. I think if price is an issue for you, just do some shopping around and get the one you can afford. Gaia may take a couple days to get used to it, but don't despair.

The most important thing IMO is to ensure you clean it at least once per week. I do mine every Saturday - it takes maybe 15 minutes but is worth the effort to keep it clean and not getting all gummed up.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the basic Drinkwell. I like it b/c it is easy to clean (5 min) with a baby bottle brush - got one that had a nipple brush built in at Wal-Mart - 2 bucks - and has a charcoal filter like my PUR water pitcher. The cats LOOOOOVE it... I am thinking about getting the water bottle attachment for the back to double the capacity.

Look around online... you can probably get a good price.... better than your local big box pet store.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a cat-it, petmate deluxe and drinkwell platinum.

I find all are easy to clean and the cats like them all, the quietest is the petmate deluxe. If your cat enjoys drinking right from the tap, then she would probably like the Drinkwell as it has free falling water while the cat-it runs down a dome and petmate down a ramp.

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting one from the :fresh-step cat litter offer. you save points. Thought my boy Blue would love it b/c he always wants me to turn on the shower masssager head for him to drink his water.(no matter HOW MUCH & HOW CLEAN I SANITIZE HIS BOWL-he will sit in bathroom and wait for me to come in to turn on his water for him. I can't WAIT to see how this 'fountain' thing works out! Good luck all!

esme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I find all are easy to clean and the cats like them all, the quietest is the petmate deluxe. If your cat enjoys drinking right from the tap, then she would probably like the Drinkwell as it has free falling water while the cat-it runs down a dome and petmate down a ramp.
Great point about really thinking about what your cat would like best. The waterfall/faucet kind of fountain like the Drinkwell scared my timid girl, but she loves her Petmate fountain.... I believe the Drinkwell platinum can be washed the top rack of the dishwasher, but it's more costly

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a drinkwell platinum, everybody with the exception of one of the dogs uses it.

Pain to clean but most are, they like to play in it too
the cats i mean especially as kitten batting the flow of water.

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by followedbydolls

I have a drinkwell platinum, everybody with the exception of one of the dogs uses it.

Pain to clean but most are, they like to play in it too
the cats i mean especially as kitten batting the flow of water.
My little boy "Blue" is the same. (guess he got used to water when he was a tiny kitten & got poo on him & I had to clean him off-he's been wanting water from the sink ever since) I buy "fresh-step" litter, & there's a program where you save points you get when you buy litter. I sent for a fountain for him. I hope this works out b/c I spoil him-he KNOWS it, & meows & goes to the sink everytime he wants a drink. (yet he'll drink from clean bowl if I'm gone for awhile)! I'd love to let you know how well this works, but I won't be getting product for a couple of more weeks.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just have a 5 gallon filtered fountain that I made for the cats and dog to share.
Cost less than $25 to make.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frogmanjared

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We decided to get the fresh&clear dome. I know it will be a hassle to clean, but she loves to lick water off surfaces, so the dome is perfect! When we first set it up she started to play in it, still does. You can see some water droplets on her bum in this pic.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey - whatever works for you and your kitty!!! My boys like to drink the stream of water on the Drinkwell. I have a "water baby" too. Jakie is right there when ever he hears the water running or if I am in the loo!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried a fountain with Dusty, but she would have no part of it. She will only drink water from her bowl upstairs, and only after I've put refrigerator water in it so it is fresh and cold.

But she will go outside and drink out of the dirtiest yuckiest mud puddle she can find over her downstairs bowl that has clean fresh cold water in it. Go figure?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the Drinkwell Platinum and the 360 - Both are easy to clean, but the 360 is even easier with adding water than the Platinum. My cats seem to like the 360 even a bit more than the Platinum - I think they like coming around for all angles. I'm trying to put some money aside to buy the stainless stell 360 that's supposed to come out later this fall - I haven't heard the price point, but I'm figuring it's got to be more than the $50-60 for the plastic 360.

BTW, your vet will probably say 'good going' when you mention you got a fountain. Mine have!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both the petmate freshflow deluxe and the Drinkwell Platinum, which I just got it for a steal - $42.20 free shipping!!! http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204081

Two out of my three cats changed to the drinkwell already - both Lucky and Bugsy. Hope continued on the Petmate. The drinkwell Platinum is as quiet as the petmate (note - the Platinum, NOT the original!!) but holds a LOT more water. It also has free falling water, which seems to be quite appealing for cats...
Having both of them today, no doubt I would hve gotten the drinkwell if I had found that deal at the time... For me the biggest advantage is the fact that it holds enough water for a week.
The freshflow needs to be refilled everyday...

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

We have a cat-it, petmate deluxe and drinkwell platinum.

Which is easiest to clean out of those three? How often do you refill them?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Which is easiest to clean out of those three? How often do you refill them?
I really don't find any of them difficult to clean, the cat-it perhaps a little more fiddly because of the 'bubbles' moulded into the bottom bowl.

I only refil once a week, but my cats don't eat dry food so probably don't need to drink as much. Plus there are 3 fountains, they are not drinking all from one place.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the Drinkwell 360 a bit easier to clean, but both were truly easy - maybe 10 minutes, start to finish, once you've done it two or three times. Both the 360 and the Platinum hold just about a gallon of water. Mine did start drinking more with the fountains, but at most I added water mid-week. I would clean weekly.

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I just purchased the Drinkwell 360 and all four of my cats are looking at it as if the mothership has just landed i.e. they haven't a clue as to what to do. Should I turn it off so it resembles a regular container filled with water? They are showing no interest at all.

Suggestions?

slemoine94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two Catit fountains as seen here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/CatIt-Fresh-Cl...=1UIXX05S948P4

I have five cats and they all like it. I got it to urge one of my cats to drink more water. I also have a large dog who insists on drinking out of it. The Catit has filters but I fill our fountains with Brita water anyway. I think that helps keep the gunk from building up and make the filters last longer.

I think it's pretty easy to clean. I usually clean at least once a week, every other day when I'm good. I use a diluted bleach solution (10% bleach) to kill the germs and gunk off. It's not dishwasher safe so I want to make sure I disinfect it thoroughly.