What are the best and worst concerts you've seen?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched "Michael Jackson - Live in Bucharest" on Much More Music last night. It was by far the best concert I've ever watched. And it sure would have been something spectacular to have seen in person.

It got me thinking about the best concert that I've ever attended in person, and the worst one too.

The Best:

Reba McEntire. It wasn't like a concert at all. It was more like a Las Vegas show. She had a boom that took her over top of the audience at times, and I lost count of her costume changes. There were many and they were spectacular!

The Worst:

Sting: Not that his music is bad, because it isn't. I wouldn't have paid $100.00 for the ticket to go and see him if I didn't like his singing/music. However, the concert he played here absolutely sucked! Crash Test Dummies opened the show. At that time they were relatively unknown except for their "Superman" song. Yet they were way better than Sting was that evening. When Sting came out to perform, he played for less than 40 minutes and then left the stage. Everyone thought it was a joke and kept chanting "Sting! Sting! Sting!", but he never came back and the lights went on and that was it.

I was so mad that I called the concert promoter on the Monday and demanded my money back. I paid $100.00 for an entire concert that lasted less than 60 minutes with the headliner playnig a grand total of maybe 35 minutes. The promoter said they were angry too and had been getting loads of complaints from ticket buyers. Unfortunately when they booked him they didn't put a minimum time in the contract, so Sting could have gone on and sang one song and called it quits and have fulfilled his part of the contract.

So what was the best and the worst concerts that you have ever attended in person to see.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best:
Paul McCartney, in LA, I think 2005??

The worst.... Hummmmm I don't think I have ever been to a bad concert.... But I will post it If I remember it...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best- Aerosmith when Fuel opened up for them- AMAZING!!!!

Worst- one of the local bands played a gig and were just sooo horrendous I wanted to scratch my eyes out. Unfortunately I was a music industry major at the time and getting paid to record their show/etc so I HAD to stick around.....it was torture!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Best

Simon and Garfunkel Reunion in Central Park

Worst

Can't think of any at the moment

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think i've ever seen a bad one really, they've all been good. But for me my best one's that stay in my head out of all of them were Tavares, Heatwave, Earth Wind and Fire, Luther Vandross and Simply Red

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best concert ever was Carrie Underwood...not for Carrie but for Josh Turner who opened for her. It was DH and I's first date, and every song Josh Turner sang really spoke to us personally based on our situation and our past. It was very romantic

Worst concert would be 50 Cent. What a loser. I was there to see Jay-Z and 50 Cent was one of the acts. I sat down for his part.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've really not been to that many, or as many as I'd like due to living in a state most bands like to skip. I think most of them like to get out of the Bible Belt as soon as they can - not that I can blame them considering their views. Plus it's boring here.

What I've seen so far: (and if you like metal)

Opeth and Enslaved. Enslaved were good, they're a great band. Their sound could have been better. Ice Dale's habit of not wearing shirts during shows is distracting.
Opeth were very good, polished. Ã…kerfeldt joked around with the crowd. I'd recommend both to anyone who gets the chance to see them.
The only downside of this show was two very annoying drunks. One ended up unconcious on the floor behind us (karma, maybe?) and the other lost his spot on the front rail when a bunch of us women forced him out.

Amon Amarth, Goatwhore, Skeleton Witch, and Lazarus A.D. Lazarus A.D. were young! Hopefully they go somewhere and stick around. Skeleton Witch were ok, the vocalist has good stage presence and knows how to get a crowd going. Goatwhore, were good but not outstanding. I was distracted a bit by the ugliness that is a B.C. Rich Warlock.

Amon Amarth were very entertaining and played a spot on show. Great live band overall.

Dark Funeral and Naglfar. They played a small venue and interacted with the crowd a lot, even after their sets. It's a little weird standing roughly 2 foot away from a band while it's preforming.
Definitely a good show for those who like these bands.

Rob Zombie, Lacuna Coil, Anthrax (with Belladonna) . Lacuna Coil were terrible, and their bad sound didn't help. Anthrax with Belladonna were good, that line up broke up again so it was definitely worth seeing.
Rob Zombie knows how to play the crowd and put on a very good show. If you like his music you really need to see him live at least once.

Ministry and Revolting C*cks. - RevCo put on an awesome and hilarious show, that line up has changed now so it was one I'm definitely glad I seen.
Ministry isn't active anymore, that alone makes me glad I seen them. Great set list and plenty of W. hating.

Bile and KMFDM with Watts - great line up, played a lot of great songs, and they have a lot of energy live. Bile... drum machines are annoying live...

NIN - so so. Kind of bland actually and I had a moron in the seat next to me dump a beer in my seat because he didn't know how to hold on to the thing..
Had an annoying opener - I do not like rap of any sort, not even free style/political.

Tool. Maynard hid in the back during the whole show. There were some neat contortionist hanging from the ceiling, though. Most memorable from that show was the massive amount of people that rushed from the seats to the floor! Security couldn't do anything to stop them. Watching that was awesome, even if it did make the rest of us on the floor crowded. Tool concerts draw large crowds so you better be ready for that fact. Otherwise, worth seeing at least once.

Slipknot, twice. They can rile up a crowd fairly well, but are kind of boring.
System of a Down, they had good energy with the crowd.
Fear Factory, boring. Less melodic songs at the live I was at and Burton C. Bell's voice on those songs are the only interesting thing about the band.

Rammstein. Fire, need I say more? They were very very good live and haven't been back to the US since (and probably won't be). If you get the chance to ever see them live, don't miss it!

Pantera, Soulfly, Morbid Angel. Morbid Angel had a good set list, but didn't have much energy live. They looked rather bored themselves, probably because of who they were touring with. Soulfly... meh. Pantera, good setlist, Anselmo voice was ok - obviously glad I got to see them live.

Def Leppard - Meh, kind of boring actually. Elliott's voice wasn't that good back in the 90s either. Their opener Ugly Kid Joe (anyone remember this one?) was even more boring.

Firehouse, Damn Yankees, and Poison. Again, meh. Poison had an ok set list playing all their hits. Since this was in the 90s they all still sounded decent.

Steve Miller. A lot of fun live actually. Just good music and a concert I've always been glad I was able to go to.
I think he still tours some, and have no idea what quality of show he does now, but it might be worth some checking it out.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...

Summery, I can't pick a best.
But Def Leppard and Lacuna Coil were definitely the worst. Don't bother with either, and if you're stuck at a show with Lacuna Coil opening... go get drinks or something.
I'd really love to see Enslaved again, but headlining so they could play a longer set.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
strange wings: you and my DH have similar music tastes. One of his favorite bands is Opeth.
Others inclue InFlames, Rammstein, and some others I can't spell. lol

I've been to mostly country music concerts. I've seen Tim McGraw twice (when I was 12, he wished me happy birthday from stage!!), Faith Hill once (with Tim McGraw), Brad Paisley twice (he's an excellent entertainer!!), and a compilation concert with various artists.

The only non-country concert I've been to was Johnny Lang (gift for my dad, and since my mom didn't want to go, I got to). I had TEARS in my eyes during one of his guitar solos. Amazing and talented, even if he's no longer performing in that genre.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I don't think i've ever seen a bad one really, they've all been good. But for me my best one's that stay in my head out of all of them were Tavares, Heatwave, Earth Wind and Fire, Luther Vandross and Simply Red
Simply Red and EW&F are two of my favourites.

The best was probably k.d. lang's Ingenue at Massey Hall - she was amazing with that wonderful voice and a great sense of humour in person.

The worst was the Roger Whittaker concert I paid extra to get close seats for and the woman directly behind me sang every song along with him. I love Roger Whittaker but could have saved my money. One thing I am certain of, if this ever happens to me again, I am going to stand up, stop the show and point out the offending party. I work hard for my money and I didn't pay to hear her sing.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

strange wings: you and my DH have similar music tastes. One of his favorite bands is Opeth.
Others inclue InFlames, Rammstein, and some others I can't spell. lol
Opeth aren't my favorite, at all. But Ã…kerfeldt is very talented and has a great voice. As for your husband's taste - you mean metal and hard rock?
I actually lean more towards death metal and black metal, and love shows by bands in these genres - they seem to keep it more real? honest? or maybe it's because they're not making a lot of money off these shows and are doing them because they actually want to. Something you notice missing in a lot of better known bands.

Do you go with your husband to any shows or are you a bit spooked off? (a big difference from country music) Though, if you (or anyone else) worries about the type of crowds these bands draw, don't. They're usually not that bad aside from one or two idiots that had to much to drink.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I've ever seen a bad concert, but probably the most disappointing was The Black Crowes, though that was more my fault than anything. Even though it's their style, it was more bluesy than I was expecting. And it was smokey inside, despite the "no smoking" mandate. Not pleasant.

Lots of good concerts, but the best, when I include the anticipation, was finally getting to see Boston a few years back, not long before lead singer Brad Delp passed away. Seeing them in a small, intimate venue was a dream come true.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one of the best concerts I ever seen was the Tribute to Freddy Mercury an Queen concert, to raise money for Aids Research.

The worse would have to be the benefit concert after 9/11 I know it was made with good intentions but it was thrown together way to quickly and came off looking very confused and unprofessional.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only two concerts I have ever gone to were Paul Simon when I was in about 7th or 8th grade, and Smashing Pumpkins when I was a senior in high school. My aunt used to work for American Express so she could get free/highly discounted concert tickets, and she took us to Paul Simon. It was a good concert, but at the time I didn't care. lol

Smashing Pumpkins was TERRIBLE!!! It was very similar to the OP's experience. They came on and sang two or three songs, then Billy Corgan went back stage for a while, came back on stage and ate an apple (WTH??), threw the half eaten apple into the crowd, and then sang one more song and said he didn't feel like singing anymore and for everyone to leave. I was beyond pissed and haven't listened to their music since, and I absolutely loved them.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seen way too many concerts to count, mostly in the hard/glam rock - metal (not the same death/black metal as strange_wings, though, with a few exceptions). To name a few: Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Kiss, Poison, Rob Zombie, Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Nine Inch Nails...

The best was probably Nine Inch Nails when they did their warm-up tour for With Teeth. Smallish venue (for NIN - I've only seen them in arenas besides this show) of ~2000. Wow. Seriously. The band was amazing, Trent had so much energy. It was a spiritual experience for me. I'm not kidding. I've seen him multiple times and that was by far the best show. When we saw him again on the full With Teeth tour he wasn't nearly as good. Some of the "kids" were saying "Wow he was amazing - That was the best show ever!" when we were all leaving, and I was saying "Meh, it was OK. The 1994 tour was better, and that warm up tour was WAY better."
They were looking at me like I was from outer space.

Iron Maiden comes in a close second. Not a spiritual experience or anything
but WOW do those men know how to play and put on a show! Bruce Dickinson is one of the best frontmen ever.

Aerosmith was amazing. Better live than any of their albums show. Cinderella falls into that category too - better live than any of their recordings show. Priest is always great live too.

Worst show? For me it was Bon Jovi. Not that they were that bad, but I realized during the show how much I really dislike their music overall.
I made DH leave early from that show - I was really there to see Daughtry anyway.

I've seen Lacuna Coil and really loved them. Maybe you saw them on a bad night, or with bad sound setup? I was like that with Queensryche - saw them in 1988 with Metallica (before they sold out) and hated them. Bad sound, bad night, I don't know but they sounded awful. Saw them again years later and they are actually really good live. I missed a lot of good concerts I could have gone to because of that one show.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm

The best: Alan Jackson!! He was amazing!! Sounds even better live! Keith Urban, man he put on a show!! He came half way through and set up on a little stage for all of us in the back for like 2-3 songs, and he told security to back off the fans, but he used some choice words
. Sugarland was really good too! Shania Twain was also excellent!! I also got to see Paul McCartney (sp?) from the Beatles when he played at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
He was AMAZING!!

Worst: Do not get me wrong, I love rock and all, but i went to the Taste of Chaos tour a few years back and The Used.....awful, the guy cant even sing!! Some other rock bands I saw were better, like Saosin and 30 Seconds to Mars, but I have noticed most newer type rock bands really arent that talented?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

SIMPLY RED!
love them! They play the states so infrequently. I missed out on seeing them a few years ago and now he is doing his farewell tour! I am so bummed. My sister said the show was incredible!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

I'm not sure I've ever seen a bad concert, but probably the most disappointing was The Black Crowes, though that was more my fault than anything. Even though it's their style, it was more bluesy than I was expecting. And it was smokey inside, despite the "no smoking" mandate. Not pleasant.

Lots of good concerts, but the best, when I include the anticipation, was finally getting to see Boston a few years back, not long before lead singer Brad Delp passed away. Seeing them in a small, intimate venue was a dream come true.
Brad Delp lived in the next town over from me!
Atkinson, NH. I worked at a supermarket in my teenage years and he would always come in the 12 item or less line. Wanna know what he bought?
He always came in about every day or two and bought Boboli pizza crust and some sort of topping. Like cheese or a green pepper. But always Boboli pizza crust. I kid you not.
He also drove a red VW beetle. He was one of the first ones to get the new version. It was funny trying to explain to the other young kids I worked with who the heck he was.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best concerts that I've seen: Iron Maiden (World Slavery Tour Jan 1985, 7th Tour of a 7th Tour (for the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album), and summer tour in 2003 with Dio and Motorhead as opening acts. I love Dio and Motorhead but seeing my all time favorite band in the entire world live are experiences I'll never forget. Awesome, Awesome live band.

Aerosmith and Guns-n-Roses, I think it was 1988 or 1989. Great show.

Metallica puts on a great show. I saw them twice for the Black album. Can't stand anything they have done since then.

Queensryche during the Empire tour. They played the Operation: Mindcrime album mfrom start to finish during the show.

The worst I've seen live: Suicidal Tendencies and Danzig opened for Metallica during a summer tour. They are both horrid.

I'm kind of embarrassed to mention this, but I've never seen AC/DC live.

Almost forgot. Another great show was seeing Great White at a local music club. The night of the show turned out to be the same day OJ was in the White Bronco being pursued by the police.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will start with the worst because thats easy enough. My sister dragged me to a dive bar to see some unkown guy (David Mead). Guitar/singer/songwriter.
So intolerable I sat at the bar all evening and I ended up drunk (for the first and last time) on Guinness, sprawled on the bathroom floor-icky. She came to collect me at the end of the evening.
I guess we all need one of those kinds of stories eh?

I walked out after about an hour of Eileen Ivers. She plays the fiddle.
But is very popular amongst fiddle circles.

Disappointed with Bonnie Raitt: Even though I met her afterward. I was getting bored by the last few songs.

I have quite a few bests:

Country fests I am not a huge country fan. My sister brings me to these country fests and I have to tell you something.
These country folks now how to entertain and are really good musicians and singers. I highly recommend checking one out. I couldn't tell you who I have seen, too many to count. But very very good.

Robert Plant Saw him on his own and he is everything you would imagine. Great voice, stage presence and so sexy. I would love to see him now with Alison Krauss.
David Gray. He is amazing live, I've seen him twice and always a pleasure. Small venue or large, he can put on a great show anywhere!
Tragically Hip: I waited so long to see them (decade at least) they play large stadiums in Canada but in the US they played a nice small venue and I had GREAT seats. So incredible!
Sting: I feel so bad for the other poster! He gave a really strong show when I went. Played a wide variety of song so it was really a great concert for alot of people. We all got to hear our favs.
I am a huge fan so I had a great time.
311 It was an outdoor venue and they were so on top of their game that night. It just remember having a blast. Party baby!

Michael Penn Another guy I waited for over a decade to see and it was a super small club I was RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM as he performed. The stage was maybe 10 inches off the floor so it was like I was watching him in my living room for cripes sake. Incredible.
Depeche Mode I was uncertain of how well their music would translate live. But they have such a great energy and it was after Dave was clean and sober. He was on fire...and so sexy. Grrrrrrrr
Melissa Etheridge So strong! What a voice and performance! She was really amazing.
Nikka Costa This woman has some pipes on her! It was a small venue and she was so rocking. Amazingly energetic performance.
Cowboy Junkies and Paula Cole These were two opening acts that I was really rocked by. There is a reason why they can keep touring and do what they do. Even if they are not huge cd sellers.

Just because you like a performers music doesn't mean they will be good live. Sometimes it can be soooo disappointing. I was so pleased when I would see my favorite musicians put on a really great show. It is so gratifying.

Great thread!