Twitter...

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In a nutshell, I don't get it.

After months of being a crotchety old guy, complaining about the whippersnappers of the world and their newfangled toys, and how hearing the words "Twitter" and "Tweets" make me want to puke coat hangers, I figured maybe I'd ask and find out what it's really all about.

Here's what I THINK I know: That it's basically text messaging (which I do, but hate), but you send it to a web page, so it's basically a text mesage for a global audience. Like giving every schlub with a computer, a virtual press conference. Is that about right?

So, my next question is, outside of reasons of vanity, "Why?".

Inquiring crotchety minds want to know.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could answer your question. I don't get it either. Listening to the Radio yesterday I realized that there is a whole new language asociated with Twitter. Some words such a Tweet are real, but is "Tweeted" a real word & when in real life would you ever used such a word. I quess I'm in the crotchety boat with you.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get it either. Also, if one more person asks me if I am on facebook I am gonna commit an unforgiveable act.

I think it is completely out of a need to feel important. I also think it is a fad. Not sure it will last all that long. Heres hoping!

My question is, if you are so busy texting are you really living life? I don't even take photos when away on vacation because I feel like it robs me of the moment. Like we need people's attention spans to get ANY shorter!

Do I really need to know what people are doing every second of the day? Of course, I am of the few that are still hoping letter writing makes a comeback. I love getting nice long letters in the mail. I don't think with all the tech we have now it will ever happen.

I would be definately curious to hear what people who do tweet get out of it. So please, if you do let us know why.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Do I really need to know what people are doing every second of the day? Of course, I am of the few that are still hoping letter writing makes a comeback. I love getting nice long letters in the mail. I don't think with all the tech we have now it will ever happen.
I actually do this.
I write to a few people all around the world.And I usually write nice long letters.Nothing beats getting a letter from a friend in the mail...sure beats bills and junk mail and I like it much better then email.Email is so unpersonal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I once had a Formula One pen-pal from the UK, and I think I remember the wait for a response being around two weeks. One didn't even think twice about the time factor, it was just the way it was, and you appreciated the experience. We're all so plugged-in to one another now, the world is so small. We're already taking all of this for granted.

Oh god, I'd best stop now. I'm starting to loathe.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Twitter is based on the question, "What are you doing?" And the idea is to update your account with the answer to that very question.

However, it isn't for everyone. Some great uses of Twitter include outage and maintenance notices for services (WoW, local college, etc.), as well as media outlets. Another great use is marketing and advertising.

But if you hate it, that's fine.
Like I said, it's not for everyone. And to be honest, I thought I'd hate it and move on, but I got hooked quickly! I follow some of my favorite authors, a couple of celebrities (Felicia Day, Alyson Hannigan, and Nathan Fillion), as well as communicate with coworkers (it's scary when I can get a hold of them faster via Twitter vs. email).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Twitter is based on the question, "What are you doing?" And the idea is to update your account with the answer to that very question.
That makes sense, based on the handful of pages I've seen.

I will say, the one "enlightening" thing about it for me, is seeing celebrities, or people that you hold in high esteem, posting mundane things about their lives. It makes them seem more human to see what they're having for breakfast, or some such thing.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

That makes sense, based on the handful of pages I've seen.

I will say, the one "enlightening" thing about it for me, is seeing celebrities, or people that you hold in high esteem, posting mundane things about their lives. It makes them seem more human to see what they're having for breakfast, or some such thing.
I completely agree! The other nice this is that they can post about their latest project. For example, Felicia Day released an Indy pop music video and it was a HUGE Internet success. I'm not sure how possible that would have been without Twitter.

Btw, it's call "Date my avatar" and can be found on YouTube.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not alone; I feel so much better now!

For the life of me, I cannot understand the need to not only be connected 24/7, but to let everyone know that you just drank a Pepsi. Seriously, who cares? I find sites such as myspace, facebook, & twitter to be a total waste of time. Now, having said that, I do admit to checking out my DD's facebook page (and yes, she knows that I do). Not only have I kept her from making a serious mistake or 14, but I can keep track of her cousins (my nieces and nephews). There are no such things as phone calls or letters to your middle aged aunt, so the only way I know what 's going on in their lives to check their facebook page.
If all those networking sites crashed tomorrow, I wouldn't miss them a bit. My DD, on the other hand, would have serious withdrawal.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crotchety 28 year old right here!

I email all the time. I text all the time. I do Myspace sometimes, kinda got bored with it though so not so much these days. As of now at least, I refuse to sign up for Facebook (BTW fifi1puss, are you on facebook? hehe j/k!! don't hurt me!).

Twitter is by far the worst in my opinion, for me anyway. I, like you, don't get it.
I don't know why people need to tell the world about everything they're doing. BF and I were in Vegas in June and a friend from Boston flew out too and he, with his iPod Touch, was on Twitter constantly! And he's in his 40s! So it's not just a kid thing. It's getting like texting started to get a few years ago, you're out to dinner with someone and they keep texting and you have to wait for them to be done. (I admit to texting while talking, but I text WHILE talking. maybe it's still rude but i don't stop the world around me to text.) For some reason the Twitter thing bugs me more. Which I suppose one could say is hypocritical.. well too bad. (isn't there a smilie giving raspberries?? haha)

I don't write nearly as many letters as I used to, but I do write some to some people, and I love getting letters or cards in the mail. Like someone else said, it definitely beats bills and junk mail! However, email is cool too, at least it's still to an address of sorts, not just a posting for everyone. I don't know.

Sheesh, again, I'm 28, why am i so crotchety already???

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing wrong with being a crotchety old guy. I'm a member of that club, too.

I know people who have to have every new hi-tech gadget they can get their hands on. Me? I don't even own an I-Pod, I still have a walkman tape player.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I just don't understand why some folks need to tell the world what they are doing minute-by-minute. Do folks really care? Do they not have a life in real life? Do they not have any real friends? Surely there must be some constructive things to do that would get them out into the world and meet and interact with real people!

I have to say I think it's all a huge waste of time. I already spend far too much time on the computer being a mod here. Lord, I wouldn't get anything done at all if I was into all that. No food on the table, filthy house, no shopping done - heavens!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally think twitter is a waste of time. I really don't care what someone had for lunch or what time they are going to bed. I do have a face book and My Space account which I check about once a week. Mainly the reason for them is to get back in touch with high school and college friends. I've found a lot but usually share email addresses after the first few messages.

I wish letter writing would come back in style too, but I'm afraid my hand would cramp up after the first few paragraphs!
Now emails? I normally write novels.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get it, don't want it. I don't even text. I use my cell or land line to call someone rather than text. I'd rather e-mail than twitter. Can't and don't want to keep up with this new fangled nonsence.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people update maybe once, twice a day. Rarely does someone constantly update every minute. Most of the time people spend on Twitter is responding to other people, commenting, etc.

I understand that it's not for everyone, but it really does make me twitch when people say, flat out, that it's a waste of time. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but that's not how it's being presented.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It has its good points, too. I found Twitter very useful during the demonstrations in Iran following the elections, because foreign news media were for the most part unable to report freely. Reading Tweets gave you an idea of what was going on there, and what eyewitness videos were being posted on YouTube, etc..

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Most people update maybe once, twice a day. Rarely does someone constantly update every minute. Most of the time people spend on Twitter is responding to other people, commenting, etc.

I understand that it's not for everyone, but it really does make me twitch when people say, flat out, that it's a waste of time. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but that's not how it's being presented.
You're right. Let me reprase what I said...for me, it's a waste of time because I don't understand the point. I also think golf is a waste of time but I know people enjoy it and that is their right. I'm sure I do things that other people think is a waste of time but I enjoy completely.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

You're right. Let me reprase what I said...for me, it's a waste of time because I don't understand the point. I also think golf is a waste of time but I know people enjoy it and that is their right. I'm sure I do things that other people think is a waste of time but I enjoy completely.
Amen. I think I already spend way too much time on the computer.