So excited! Going to the shelter tonight, adoptiong a nephew!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My brother has moved to the same city where I live, and is in graduate school. Until now he had to go away every summer, so as much as he loves cats he didn't feel it was fair to have one. Well that has ALL changed,he is here for the long haul and wants a furry companion (plus, as I've always told him, if he goes away I'll take care of it! I live on the same street)

In anycase we are going tonight and I can't wait. He is going to give some older cat a great home!

This is where we are adopting from and we are thinking either

http://www.burlingtonhumane.ca/adoption/feline.php

bunny, gus, kris, katie, sammy, suzie or moe

It's going to depend who he feels bonding with I guess! It's going to kill us both not to take all of them. If the one he likes gets on well with other cats he might get two, but is open to cats that need to be the 'one and only'.

Anyways!! I'm soooooooo excited and of course will post pictures!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, new fuzzballs!

Thanks for considering giving an older cat a home!

I checked out all the kitties. Personally I like Jazz, and Sophia but I'm a calico, patch tabby nut...

that might be too much torti-tude for one house...

Good luck with the adoption process whomever chooses your bro as their new person.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

In anycase we are going tonight and I can't wait. He is going to give some older cat a great home!

If the one he likes gets on well with other cats he might get two, but is open to cats that need to be the 'one and only'.

Anyways!! I'm soooooooo excited and of course will post pictures!
This is great!!! I'm so happy your brother will be giving an older baby a home - what a good guy!

I hope he takes two - the kitties will keep each other company when your brother's not around, plus it's double the fun and the love.

Congratulations to you both and to a very lucky kitty (or kitties)!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KTLynn

This is great!!! I'm so happy your brother will be giving an older baby a home - what a good guy!

I hope he takes two - the kitties will keep each other company when your brother's not around, plus it's double the fun and the love.

Congratulations to you both and to a very lucky kitty (or kitties)!
That's what I was going to say! Take two!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

That's what I was going to say! Take two!
I'm going to try to convince him to take two if they get along well! But some have been there for awhile because they don't get along with other cats so nobody wants them!! He is in a good situation to deal with that type of cat!

Either way! Very excited!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Love Katie's blue eyes. Good luck in choosing just one.

lynsey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kudos to your brother for adopting and to you for helping. I'd say take two of them!

Although if he decides on only one, I'd go with Bunny. Bunny is very cute - and her bio says she is declawed and does not get along with other cats, which may mean that she could be there for a while waiting for a new fur-parent.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are all awesome. I agree that it will take meeting them and going with that "feeling".

Gus is cool looking and so is Kris.
Moe's face in that photo looks adorable.
Sammy looks cute also. I don't know how difficult it is for black cats to get adopted in your area, but sometimes its an issue. Do they still have the cat she came in with? Storm? I didn't see him/her?

But if he bonds with Bunny I would get her because she seems to need to be an only cat and being six I wonder how quickly she would get adopted.

They all look like nice cats. I am excited to hear who he chooses (or who chooses him!
)

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first instinct was Bunny, because she is older with some issues, he is the perfect home for that, very quite apartment, but he is home quite often and would just calmly have any cat come around to him.

My second thought was suzie, cause she is black and older, they will have a really hard time getting rid of her. If bunny was good with other cats I'd get him to get bunny and suzie!

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well ebony chose Tim.

She is a very shy 2 year old black girl.

She has been at the shelter since Feb. and before that was a stray so she's never had a home! When we let her out to wander around she sucked up to Tim (my brother) big time, so that was it, love.

She is now at his place hiding under the bed! She was not a fan of the car ride, poor thing puked a bit and pooped in the carrier, she was very scared. I told him just to keep it dark in the room, leave her food water and litter and just give her some time. We know she's shy and this is new to her so it might take a week or two for her to get comfortable, but he's in for the long haul since she stole his heart!!

I will post pictures in a couple weeks once she is out and about! Wish us luck!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's beautiful! What gorgeous eyes! Congratulations to you and your brother! I am happy Ebony found a happy home!

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope he takes them both! I have two. They are both black, & brother & sister from different litters.(their mom was a pregnant black & white stray,& b-4 I knew it ,she was pregnant again)! Fortunately, I got all the kittens GREAT homes.(2 live down the street). Anyway, cats love to have a companion to play with. BTW-They all got spayed/neutered.
Good luck! bcbc

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, poor little thing so scared on her trip to her forever home. I'm so glad she's found someone who will be patient with her and give her the time and space she needs to adjust to her new home. I have one of those scaredy-cats at first and she's just the love of my life now and my very faithful companion.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so happy Ebony chose him! Sounds like she chose well.

Another trick to help her out (it works with ferals, so I'm sure it would work for her as well) is to play classical strings at a low volume for her. Harp actually seems to work the best. It really calms their nerves.

Also, when he goes in to his room with her, if she is still very shy after the first night, have him sit on the floor (on her level) and talk to her, read out loud, or just watch TV or read. Try not to seek her out, let her come to him. If she does poke her head out, don't look her in the eye - that's aggressive to cats, especially ones from the street. Look over her ears or just out of the corner of his eye at her to start with. If she's food motivated (i.e. likes the treats!) she'll probably be easier to work with. He can start leaving a couple treats close to her hiding place, and even scattered around him when he sits with her so she associates him with the good stuff - FOOD!

These are all tips for socializing ferals, but since she's just had her whole world turned upside down she may revert to being more skittish and feral-like until she feels comfortable in her new home. I'm sure Tim will do great with her.
These are just some tips to help her feel comfortable more quickly.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I'm so happy Ebony chose him! Sounds like she chose well.

Another trick to help her out (it works with ferals, so I'm sure it would work for her as well) is to play classical strings at a low volume for her. Harp actually seems to work the best. It really calms their nerves.

Also, when he goes in to his room with her, if she is still very shy after the first night, have him sit on the floor (on her level) and talk to her, read out loud, or just watch TV or read. Try not to seek her out, let her come to him. If she does poke her head out, don't look her in the eye - that's aggressive to cats, especially ones from the street. Look over her ears or just out of the corner of his eye at her to start with. If she's food motivated (i.e. likes the treats!) she'll probably be easier to work with. He can start leaving a couple treats close to her hiding place, and even scattered around him when he sits with her so she associates him with the good stuff - FOOD!

These are all tips for socializing ferals, but since she's just had her whole world turned upside down she may revert to being more skittish and feral-like until she feels comfortable in her new home. I'm sure Tim will do great with her.
These are just some tips to help her feel comfortable more quickly.
Thanks so so much! Tips and tricks are alllllllllwwwways appreciated!!! I've never really had a feral or skittish cat before, I only know it's common for them to hide from being on the cat forum! And even in the shelter they said she was very shy and would probably take some adjusting (probably because she's never had a home before).

SO thanks! I appreciate it! Anything else you can think of would be great!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very cute.
I can't wait to hear how she blossoms now that she has a warm safe home. Congrats to your brother!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, we can look at the website pictures, and even think we know the gender and type of cat we want - but, in the end, I think most of us are 'adopted', rather than the other way around. Bless your brother for giving Ebony a chance at a wonderful forever home.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Ebony is a real beauty
Congrats to your brother and you for your new niece! I agree the more she hears your brother's voice and doesn't feel threatened the more relaxed she will become. Keep us posted on how it goes!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ebony looks just like an older version of my little Squeak. She has fur that feels like velvet and the cutest little squeaky meow.

Ebony sounds like a love! I'm so glad she found a good home!