My friend got rejected to adopt a cat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend very badly has been wanting to give an 8 year old shelter cat named Odessa a good home. He has the money and has everything the cat needs. He doesn't own a car but took the bus today to go get interviewed so he can get the cat. They wouldn't let him touch the cat at all as it's "strictly not allowed", which I find to be bogus because how can you possibly know if a cat is the right one if you cannot pet it?

Either way, they automatically rejected him at the interview because he "couldn't name a humane vet", and they WOULD NOT recommend one.

I find this to be completely insane and unfair because they didn't say over the phone to him what they would need to know during the interview or anything of the sort. And now he is insanely bummed out because he wanted that cat so bad. He was even looking at vets in the area but didn't think he needed to remember their names for the interview.

Is this how shelters run things? It sounds like a scam.

allfurlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is ridiculous!!! I work at a shelter and we would never turn someone down for that, Im shocked they would deny a cat a good home for something so silly. If they expected him to have a vet appt. set up already, or references, they should have told him or asked him to come back with it. I feel so bad for your friend
Maybe he can speak to someone higher up at the shelter.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some have stricter standards than others, but it is the shelter's responsability to make sure the animal is going to a good home. They have to know that the person is willing to vet it when needed, to provide it a safe place to be, and is stable enough to keep it.
So many animals are adopted at grocery store parking lots and then put out to fend for themselves or given to shelters and pounds after they grow past the cute stage. Those are what fill up the shelters, they have to make sure the animal is going to stay in the home it is placed in, and be properly cared for.
No shelter would adopt to me, I don't even meet my own standards for adopting a rescue. Why would I give one to a stranger if I'm not positive that it's quality of life will be improved by doing so?

As for not touching the animal, I agree that is extreme and counter productive. Anyone who wants a cat from my house has to have spent enough time with it to know they are a match. The last one to go was easy, the woman walked in my door and a kitty ran right to her. The other cats sniffed and let her rub them, but this one had chosen her from the start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bookworm

Some have stricter standards than others, but it is the shelter's responsability to make sure the animal is going to a good home. They have to know that the person is willing to vet it when needed, to provide it a safe place to be, and is stable enough to keep it.
So many animals are adopted at grocery store parking lots and then put out to fend for themselves or given to shelters and pounds after they grow past the cute stage. Those are what fill up the shelters, they have to make sure the animal is going to stay in the home it is placed in, and be properly cared for.
No shelter would adopt to me, I don't even meet my own standards for adopting a rescue. Why would I give one to a stranger if I'm not positive that it's quality of life will be improved by doing so?

As for not touching the animal, I agree that is extreme and counter productive. Anyone who wants a cat from my house has to have spent enough time with it to know they are a match. The last one to go was easy, the woman walked in my door and a kitty ran right to her. The other cats sniffed and let her rub them, but this one had chosen her from the start.
I think it's crazy, do these shelters want their animals adopted or not? I doubt a person with bad intentions would go through the trouble of getting interviewed and go through the adoption process if they were not going to take care of the cat. They denied him all because he couldn't name a vet on the spot. He always wanted a Maine Coon and he was so happy he found Odessa. They said he has no chance of getting her now.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Degu_2009

My friend very badly has been wanting to give an 8 year old shelter cat named Odessa a good home. He has the money and has everything the cat needs. He doesn't own a car but took the bus today to go get interviewed so he can get the cat. They wouldn't let him touch the cat at all as it's "strictly not allowed", which I find to be bogus because how can you possibly know if a cat is the right one if you cannot pet it?

Either way, they automatically rejected him at the interview because he "couldn't name a humane vet", and they WOULD NOT recommend one.

I find this to be completely insane and unfair because they didn't say over the phone to him what they would need to know during the interview or anything of the sort. And now he is insanely bummed out because he wanted that cat so bad. He was even looking at vets in the area but didn't think he needed to remember their names for the interview.

Can YOU adopt it and then give it to him?

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I wish, but he lives in Canada and I live in Florida

But good news all the sudden, he thinks there might be a chance...even after some lady telling him there is no chance. I don't have the details yet.

bcbc mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds absolutely ridiculous to me! Is this a private shelter, a county/city shelter?
I understand if they want to insure that kitty goes to a good home, but from what I have seen, even the SPCA doesn't do THIS! I'd call the local SPCA to ask about this sort of thing.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds a bit extreme. We question people pretty closely. But we encourage them to interact with the animal - often the cat (or dog) will let you know what they think about that person! LOL!!

Was it a shelter or a foster-based rescue? Sometimes the FB rescues are run by people who are a little ... ummm..... intense.

Communication is often not that good b/c they don't have good people skills. Not having a "humane" vet? What does that mean? If he doesn't have animals currently or hasn't in a long time, and he needed an appt set up before being approved... they should have told him that. I make vet suggestions. I route people to the vets who give us discounts. Hey - a win/win.

There may also be more to this story than your friend is letting on. Is he physically disabled? You say he doesn't drive - that would be a problem around here b/c bus service sucks. My BF is visually impaired. Worse to worse he would call a cab to get an animal to a vet. But some people are very closed minded about these things.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

You're probably joking, but I would NEVER recommend that to anyone! If they don't adopt a cat to someone they probably have a good reason.

Maybe the vet question was just an excuse because they had a funny feeling about him? I know potential adopters who are fine on paper I have warned the adoption staff about because they couldn't handle a cat properly, or said something about cats that I didn't like (I got annoyed with the scratching so I declawed it/I believe in dominating my cat and showing it who's boss/I don't agree with neutering cats, they should be allowed to mate as often as they want etc.).

He should try another shelter, and if they knock him back as well, then it may be him.

degu_2009

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing is wrong with him, and no he isn't disabled, he just doesn't have a car right now.

It's in Canada so I don't know their policies. He thinks if he goes back tomorrow with a vet's name he can get the cat. I hope!

I will keep you guys updated.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please send my condolences to your friend...it does sound odd, but I have seen some odd characters at the shelters. I hate to judge, but they can be so "picky" that I would never qualify myself. Yet my kitties are healthy & happy.
My advice for your friend is to not give up! Can he provide some sort of background check/character references?? Perhaps go meet a vet & explain the situation & get a letter confirming that they are willing to provide vet services to him. Odessa is worth it - a Maine Coon is sooo worth it!!! Also, he might try joining MainecoonRescue on the Yahoo!groups. There are lots of MCs out there - they're such a great cat, but don't do well without lots of family & activity & exercise. They tend to not be a lap cat, yet are extremely affectionate; loud purrs (lots) but small voices; entertaining to company; love kids & lots of action (we had a fire in the lot next door, & in the commotion, JC got out - was going up to the firemen to investigate that big tractor & those gushing hoses

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I too got rejected on my first pick. I went to an animal rescue and checked the box that said I might get the cat declawed. Please keep in mind that it has been a very long time since I had owned an indoor cat and was unaware that views had changed on declawing. I spoke to the "cat person" on the phone and she told me why she was rejecting me. I explained to her that I was unaware that declawing was now frowned upon and agreed not to declaw the cat and she still refused. So now I have a different kitty from a different place and I am not declawing this cat either. Needless to say the cat I wanted still has no home and may never get adopted considering when we went more than half of their animals were infected by ringworm.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

You're probably joking, but I would NEVER recommend that to anyone! If they don't adopt a cat to someone they probably have a good reason.

Maybe the vet question was just an excuse because they had a funny feeling about him? I know potential adopters who are fine on paper I have warned the adoption staff about because they couldn't handle a cat properly, or said something about cats that I didn't like (I got annoyed with the scratching so I declawed it/I believe in dominating my cat and showing it who's boss/I don't agree with neutering cats, they should be allowed to mate as often as they want etc.).

He should try another shelter, and if they knock him back as well, then it may be him.
Yeah, the way I feel, is that there is always two sides to the same story...

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

OMG, this makes me SOOO mad!!!!!!!!!!! That's insane!! What the F--- do they mean by a "humane vet" Sounds like an insane requirement...sounds like your friend is a VERY loving home...esp. having made his way down to see an EIGHT year old cat via bus......stupid IDIOTS just lost a loving home for a veteran, where most people want kittens.... see, that kind of control garbage is so self-serving and helps NO ONE. Tell your friend I'm really sorry
Wish I had a cat to give him. ;( You know, sadly, as much as his heart was set on this needy senior (poor Odessa!!), he should probably leave this particular rescue/shelter behind him and find one that cares about people and pets and NOT about their hoity-toity image!!

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think it's crazy, do these shelters want their animals adopted or not? I doubt a person with bad intentions would go through the trouble of getting interviewed and go through the adoption process if they were not going to take care of the cat. They denied him all because he couldn't name a vet on the spot. He always wanted a Maine Coon and he was so happy he found Odessa. They said he has no chance of getting her now.
That is just simply DISGUSTING. Bet he'd sooner qualify for a child than from this militant so called shelter. See, they shoot themselves in the foot and ruin the animals' lives for being control freaks. Can't he use you as a reference??? Can they not be reasoned with? Never mind, with those crazy policies, I imagine not
They'd probably rather put the ol' girl down than let her go to someone else. UGH

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marinewife05

Please keep in mind that it has been a very long time since I had owned an indoor cat and was unaware that views had changed on declawing.
Hmm, I never thought views on de-clawing have changed, just that more people are more educated now. True cat lovers NEVER approved of de-clawing---it's not like it was any more humane back then! Regardless, it is true that many inexperienced cat owners are unaware of how cruel de-clawing is, and hopefully once it's explained to them they understand and choose not to have it done.

I too would refuse to adopt to someone who would have the cat de-clawed, but if they said they understood how bad it was and wouldn't have it done I might consider adopting to them. IF I thought they were sincere.

I also don't understand what they mean by "humane" vet---are some vets in Canada not humane? LOL. Although if I were adopting a cat out I'd want the person to have a vet lined up, if they didn't have any current pets and needed a reference I wouldn't hold that against them.

Hopefully they'll reconsider if he goes back with a vet all picked out. Some rescues are too picky but I hope they'll give him a chance.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We occasionally reject adopters. Some of the reasons:

1) A history of "lost" animals.

2) Too many pets already. (This is a city ordinance.)

3) Unwilling to keep the pet indoors.

4) Too many children.

5) Renters without permission.

While we discourage declawing, it wouldn't be a reason for rejecting them. Why? Because our declawed cats that come into the shelter are almost always adopted fairly quickly.

But I HAVE seen people who come in who just give off bad vibes.

And on a semi-related subject, our adoptions are way down since we moved into our new building. My personal theory is that the glass-fronted cages don't encourage interaction. We always try to get the cat in the potential adopter's hands ASAP.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

Hmm, I never thought views on de-clawing have changed, just that more people are more educated now. True cat lovers NEVER approved of de-clawing---it's not like it was any more humane back then! Regardless, it is true that many inexperienced cat owners are unaware of how cruel de-clawing is, and hopefully once it's explained to them they understand and choose not to have it done.

I too would refuse to adopt to someone who would have the cat de-clawed, but if they said they understood how bad it was and wouldn't have it done I might consider adopting to them. IF I thought they were sincere.

I also don't understand what they mean by "humane" vet---are some vets in Canada not humane? LOL. Although if I were adopting a cat out I'd want the person to have a vet lined up, if they didn't have any current pets and needed a reference I wouldn't hold that against them.

Hopefully they'll reconsider if he goes back with a vet all picked out. Some rescues are too picky but I hope they'll give him a chance.
Yes, some are way too picky, got that right. I too hope they'll give him a chance. Sounds now like that's a possibility, having read the latest post. Humane vet...wonder if they're looking for the name of a vet who is animal-rightist?. Who knows. Canada may be quite different. As much as I feel dog owners have the right to dock and crop (mine is a docked breed-but I'm NOT looking for an argument here, please!), I too am totally AGAINST declawing. I only recently read much about it and was absolutely appalled and disgusted and would never do it; I too would have a problem with that, were I a rescue. To me, docking and declawing are apples and oranges! Trust me on that. That aside, basing an adoption on whether a nice fellow has a name to provide or not when he is clearly able to provide a loving home to a senior cat was utterly ridiculous and I hope the problem is resolved and they allow him to get the cat of his dreams after all! Again, others would only want a kitten...I think it is so sweet that he took the bus to apply for this 8 year old. Gosh I hope it works out!!!!!!

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

We occasionally reject adopters. Some of the reasons:

1) A history of "lost" animals.

2) Too many pets already. (This is a city ordinance.)

3) Unwilling to keep the pet indoors.

4) Too many children.

5) Renters without permission.

While we discourage declawing, it wouldn't be a reason for rejecting them. Why? Because our declawed cats that come into the shelter are almost always adopted fairly quickly.

But I HAVE seen people who come in who just give off bad vibes.

And on a semi-related subject, our adoptions are way down since we moved into our new building. My personal theory is that the glass-fronted cages don't encourage interaction. We always try to get the cat in the potential adopter's hands ASAP.
Tell ya what... b/c the Shamrock Foundation sets up their rescue kittens and cats in a local pet supply store and in open air cages............I got my Gigi. Because I was allowed (after asking permission) to open the cat playpen, Gigi marched right out confidently, up the ramp (it was a front open-down door) and promptly onto my chest with, I SWEAR, a SMILE on her face....I fell head over heels in love immediately and KNEW she was the one. She had exactly the personality that I wanted..for me and to get along with my outgoing dogs. She got on my chest, then climbed onto my husband's shoulder, purring all the while. She made us laugh and her bright happy eyes were so beautiful..we immediately applied for her and only her. Had she been behind a glass wall and "touching strictly not allowed" we probably wouldn't have found each other! There was hand sanitizer available and we both used it. Common sense here. A little plug for the Shamrock Foundation..they do a super great reasonable job with their adoptions and they do a GREAT job with their cats and kittens' socialization and health!!

khayos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I won't adopt to anyone that wants to declaw. I do tell them where they can find a cat already declawed to adopt.

Sounds a bit weird though, he should talk to a higher up and see what the deal is.

Status
Not open for further replies.