So which is worse?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My husband and I were on vacation last week and went on a few hiking trails. One of them was very rocky and we both ending up slipping. My slip resulted in me falling backwards and sitting in some mud (graceful as always
). His slip was less spectacular, but was in front of a group of people.

So which is worse, falling backwards in mud with no one around or slipping in front of a group of people?

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Falling in front of people is the worst. Last winter I fell very gracefully as I was trying to get over a snow pile at the curb on the sidewalk outside of work.

Fortunately the fall was so graceful that I did not get hurt. No body saw it. But I did flounder in the gutter for a few minutes. That attracted attention and it was very embarrassing to have three people helping me up.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you fall in front of people, pretend to be hurt so they'll be less likely to laugh at you (limp a little...cry a little...milk it!). If you fall in mud, you probably don't have extra clothing, so if you encounter people afterward they will know.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

My husband and I were on vacation last week and went on a few hiking trails. One of them was very rocky and we both ending up slipping. My slip resulted in me falling backwards and sitting in some mud (graceful as always
). His slip was less spectacular, but was in front of a group of people.

So which is worse, falling backwards in mud with no one around or slipping in front of a group of people?
It depends. Did the people break out into hysterical laughter?

I would have (assuming he wasn't hurt).

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

My slip resulted in me falling backwards and sitting in some mud
You've took me back to Ingram Valley with a then boyfriend. Me being clever thought i'd jump a small stream, only my heel slipped and i went back in the mud like you. It was pouring as well but thankfully no one was around because of the weather. So for me i would rather fall in the mud than an audience

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
definitely falling in front of people is worse cause then not only is your butt, or other body part, bruised, but so is your pride

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In mud. I couldn't care less if I fall in front of other people, in fact I prefer it in case I hurt myself and need medical attention. However, I hate getting dirty, so falling in mud would be a very bad thing!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As someone who has fallen in front of people, I think the mud is worse. Who cares if someone is laughing, I would be laughing (and have) laughed about me falling in front of people. But to have mud all over you? I think thats worse.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have to say falling in front of people as well. Mud doesn't bother me and I would most likely get a good laugh from that, however I would be very embarrassed if I fell in front of other people.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Falling in mud. I fell in the lab at work once and didn't get hurt, but everybody saw me. I think I started laughing before they did.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I've fallen in mud in front of people.
Oh bonus! Well done, Jan!

I've fallen backwards into a cold stream in front of a bunch of strangers. There was a pause, then everyone burst out laughing!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Being a person who's old enough to not really care any longer if people think I'm a clutz, and seeing that mud can dirty your clothes and possibly not come out in the laundry, I voted for falling in mud as being worse.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted for both,,

One time in school, I was walking to my car and tripped over a 2 inch curb and went sprawling. There was one guy about 10 feet away that just looked at me and didn't move a muscle. Another guy about 50-60 feet away saw it and ran to help me up.

Then another time at a shoe store I worked at, I was going downstairs to the bathroom and my shoes slipped on the stairs. I fell backward and bounced on my butt all the way down the stairs. The store manager heard that and you should have seen the look on his face! He was sure I was gonna be hurt! But I just started laughing that I was such a klutz.

The last incident is when Mike and I were fishing at the river. We were packing up to go and I was leaning out to throw branch or something in the river. Well, I slipped and fell in! The river I fell in is very swift and several people over the years have drowned in it because it looks to be calm but has a very swift undercurrent. I was holding on to a root and couldn't get my footing. Mike heard me yell and the splash and just stood there laughing at me! He did help me out though, eventually.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Who cares if someone is laughing, I would be laughing (and have) laughed about me falling in front of people. But to have mud all over you? I think thats worse.
I think mud is worse.