OK...I'm at my wit's end...

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alright...if you've been following my thread about Francis at all, you will know a bit of the background.

So, I was taking Francis back home whenever I came around. I would give him a bit of love (which he desperately wants) and then walk him back home. The first couple times no one was there. The first time, there was food in his dish (which I asked the owner to put out). The second time, there was no food, so I put some in. I didn't knock on the door or anything. The third time, there was a boy out front and Francis ended up inside with his food dish. Well, since then, no food dish has made it back outside. The next time I brought him back, the boys were out front again. This time, they were more cooperative and let me take Francis inside. He obviously didn't want to be inside...and I told the boys to make sure they gave him some food. Not even an hour later, Francis was back at our place. They are obviously not trying very hard to keep him in.

Today, the boy showed up on my house looking for their other cat. He thought he escaped, but I have a feeling the cat was just hiding somewhere in the house. The fact is, he was out looking for him. He doesn't look for Francis.

Tonight, I took Francis back to his house and just put food on their porch, since there was no dish.

My problem is not that they let him outside. In their eyes, he wants to be an outdoor cat. Fine, but make sure he is cared for. Put a collar on him (he has one on now, but it's the one I put on him and has no ID). Set food and water out for him. Get a cat door so that he can get in when he does come home. Basically, they seem to have decided that if he wants to be an outdoor cat, he can fend for himself. Here we are discussing buying a $140 magnetic cat door so that he can get into our basement when it's cold, as well as however much more money to make a warm shelter for him. The money's not the issue - so much as that this really is not our responsibility! It's to the point where I avoid going outside because I dread seeing this poor, sweet cat who no one seems to care about.

Even if we buy a cat door, etc...the problem is that handling him requires me to "suit up" in a coat and pants that I take off before coming back into the apartment. Otherwise, I would have to take my regular clothes off immediately and change into clean clothes everytime. Delilah has become very sensitive to his smell and turns into a hissing/growling Mr. Hyde cat. Even with changing and washing my hands (twice, actually) this evening, Delilah still smelled something she didn't like and started hissing. This cat wants attention, and I give him the little bit that I can, but it isn't ideal by any means.

I so want to find this guy a new home. I just don't know if it's within my rights to do so. I suggested it in my email originally, but the owner never really addressed it (other than saying "I've tried to get my mom to take him"). The last email was me asking her to let me know whether he's come home to eat out of the dish they left on the porch (the day I stopped feeding him here and he stopped hanging around AS much). She never responsed, and I haven't spoken to her since.

Any suggestions on how I should approach this? I know a new home would be the best option for everyone, but can I really give away someone's cat?

debster747

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you tried to find this little guy a home, sad to say, it doesn't sound like it will be missed. We have several outdoor cats who come every morning and evening for food. Deep down, I think they have a home, but a bad, uncaring one. Now our neighbors, who also fed them, have quit feeding them totally. This is why most of the time I like animals over people! Anyway, IMO, just do what you think is right for this little guy.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat-napping is not beyond most people on this site and has certainly been done before. After all, it is about the welfare of the cats. Sounds like they won't miss him. Follow your heart.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a neglected cat, neglected by its owners.....does he deserve that kind of treatment? They don't seem to care. If it was up to me, I'd lay claim to the cat and find him a good home. If he's microchipped you might have some explaining to do. Why not see if he's microchipped, and if not....then consider him your responsibility and find him a good home.

If he is microchipped, you'd have to report the neglect to the proper people so that you could have the microchip information changed.

He needs someone to care for him and love him.

ellsworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may not be the owners' fault completely. About 2 years after I moved in to my house a neighborhood cat decided to move in with me. I didn't even like the cat because it was so demanding. I asked it's owner to take it back and she told me that the cat had lived on the street longer than any human and periodically changed residences. No one on the street felt that the cat was theirs but almost everyone had lived with it, involuntarily. I must've done something right in the cat's eyes because she stayed with me for 5 years until she died. I figure that she was about 20 years old. She looked like she was 30.

I think that you're stuck with the cat. At least he has a cool name. It's time for Delilah to buck up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ellsworth

It may not be the owners' fault completely. About 2 years after I moved in to my house a neighborhood cat decided to move in with me. I didn't even like the cat because it was so demanding. I asked it's owner to take it back and she told me that the cat had lived on the street longer than any human and periodically changed residences. No one on the street felt that the cat was theirs but almost everyone had lived with it, involuntarily. I must've done something right in the cat's eyes because she stayed with me for 5 years until she died. I figure that she was about 20 years old. She looked like she was 30.

I think that you're stuck with the cat. At least he has a cool name. It's time for Delilah to buck up.
It might not be the owner's fault that the cat wants out, but it's their fault that they just don't seem to care!

Well, tonight I posted an ad on my work email conference about Francis. Within an hour, I got a response. The lady couldn't take Francis in, but was going to check with folks she knew to see if anyone could provide a suitable home. It was great to get such a quick response regardless!

Now, just to decide if I should tell the owners when I find him a new home, or if I should just wait to see how long it takes them to notice that he's gone completely.

My worst fear is that I send him elsewhere and he continues to escape (I have mentioned in my ad that he needs someone who will really try to keep him inside) and something will happen to him.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know others are going to diagree...

But I whole heartly think you are doing what is best for this cat.

And "get a great home" vibes:

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Collars are dangerous, if it isn't a breakaway collar, please take it off. Be careful "catnapping" him if you do. There are states that consider this theft even if the cat isn't being very well cared for. Most cats are considered "possessions" thus the theft charge. If you do it, don't discuss it ever. Not here, not in your area, not a good idea.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The collar is a breakaway.

As for catnapping him, this really isn't my intention. In my opinion, this cat no longer really has a home. If you're not feeding him, not letting him in, and have no idea where he is (and can't be bothered to look, or talk to the people who see him on a daily basis, I'd like to know what part of the cat they still own? If these people would respond to me and take responsibility for their cat, I'd have no problem...even if he was an indoor/outdoor cat. However, since last week, any email I have sent has went unanswered. Heck, I'd even pay them the cost of vaccination/neutering that they incurred last year...although I'd prefer not to give these people any money for being neglectful pet owners.

If you left your bike on my property for 2 weeks without coming back to get it, I wouldn't just leave it there to get all rusty and broken. I'd probably either take it myself, or find someone who could use it.

If anyone responds offering to take the cat, I will discuss with them the situation and determine the next course of action.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Let us know if anyone responds!
Well, lots of responses so far, but basically just suckers like me whose hearts are broken by Francis' story!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are the laws regarding animals any different in Canada than they are here in the States?

It's horrible that animals are considered to be "posessions" and "things", but to steal someone's cat and get caught could result in fairly serious consequences here. Although it makes for a good argument when people try to tell me what I can and can't do regarding my animals. "But they're mine...See it says right here in black and white."

Though....I'd catnap him too and find him a good home. I doubt his "owners" even cared enough to have him chipped but I'd still check to see. But like it's been said...rehoming him seems like a great option if you can, and then just don't breathe a word to your neighbors. Let them think he got run over by a car or eaten by a wild animal, hopefully they'll be remorseful and maybe it will be a good lesson for them in the future.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OY...I'm re-visiting the idea of taking Francis in again. I really waiver daily on this. He's back to hanging out here pretty much all the time and I haven't had much luck with finding him a home. Today I came home after being out for a couple of hours and he was IN the house...because the downstairs neighbours don't seem to know how to shut the front door (leading to a stairway with seperate doors for our apartments)! I opened the door and out popped Mr. Francis. I was expecting my cats to be all grumpy when I got up the stairs (if he went up there and started nosing around under the door, they likely would have smelled him), but they seemed fine (although I now always get the sniff down when I come home).

Perhaps it's time I stock up on some Feliway diffusers and think of this as a socializing opportunity for my two, not very well socialized cats.

In any case, my question is: If I take him to the vet and he tests positive for FeLV or FIV, what are my options? Obviously not taking him home...and it's probably not a good idea to let him out on the streets either....So...basically...putting him to sleep?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thankfully, we've never had to face that decision. I'll just send that you don't have to face it either - though I'd say the next step would be to adjust the adoption flier.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
problem with taking the cat and finding it a good home. You know nothing if asked. You have a good heart.

sweetseamus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family has a very similar story regarding a neglected neighbor cat (who is now an old man of 15+ years and living a life of luxury). I hope it works out and you can keep Francis, but whether it's with you or someone else, this boy deserves a proper home. I know it's not an ideal situation, but sometimes you just have to follow your heart.

Sending vibes for Francis and that he is healthy and can be adopted into a good home one way or another!

ellsworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

OY...I'm re-visiting the idea of taking Francis in again. He's back to hanging out here pretty much all the time and I haven't had much luck with finding him a home.
It sounds to me like it's no longer an "idea". It has happened.

Take him to the vet. If he is healthy, you can take it as a sign that he is supposed to be yours. If he's neutered then he most likely was innoculated. Hey, won't that result in a false positive?

Why don't you ask his owners about his health history. Just say to them that since he has started hanging around your place, you wanted to know for the sake of your cats.

I bet that you are spending way more time worrying about what his owner's will think than what they are actually thinking. If they are into letting Francis do what Francis wants to do, then they will be fine if he moves in with you.

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ellsworth

It sounds to me like it's no longer an "idea". It has happened.

Take him to the vet. If he is healthy, you can take it as a sign that he is supposed to be yours. If he's neutered then he most likely was innoculated. Hey, won't that result in a false positive?

Why don't you ask his owners about his health history. Just say to them that since he has started hanging around your place, you wanted to know for the sake of your cats.

I bet that you are spending way more time worrying about what his owner's will think than what they are actually thinking. If they are into letting Francis do what Francis wants to do, then they will be fine if he moves in with you.
I have a vague health history. He is about 3 years old and was neutered and vaccinated when he came to live with his "current owners" 8-9 months ago. He'll be due soon for his vaccinations. Not sure about false positives due to vaccinations. I highly doubt he was tested for Felk/FIV before he was vaccinated.

I doubt they care if he moved in with me. The husband more or less said that would be fine. I've talked to the wife, mentioned trying to take him in, and she's never said not to.

Francis has been out gallabanting around the neighbourhood lately. I didn't see him at all yesterday, although others have assured me he was around. Haven't seen him today either, but I know my boyfriend gave him some food this morning and gave him some pets when he got home from work. I think Francis is avoiding me!

On a funny note, I think he was trying to get the church people to take him home the other night. A bunch came out from the church across the street and I came out and found Francis just lying on the sidewalk between two people who were talking. When they left, he went over to some others and tried to convince them to let him in their car. I could see he was rubbing up against legs, etc. He's a charming little player, this cat!