Any journalists around?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was trained to be a technical writer. I have NO journalism experience, except what I can mimic at work. However, things have changed with regards to my current position to where it's now required of me to "learn it now or...." There hasn't been a direct threat to my job, but I'd rather just try to learn journalistic styles and get a jump start on things.

That being said, any recommendations on books or journals, etc. that could help me?

My work group follows AP anyway, so that's not an issue. I guess my biggest issue is that I'm more comfortable writing in a rigid style, as opposed to more fluid.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a journalist, but I write short stories and poetry and some years ago I spent the summer at CTV News shadowing a journalist out in the field, writing news stories to be read on the air and helping to produce the 6 and 11pm news casts. It was great fun!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there. First off, why are they making you become a journalist? Who will be your audience/market/readership? Pm me with some details and I will try to help you. There are some basic principles that all journailsts follow, but also some differences depending on whether you are writing for a general or technical readership, for internal communications etc.