Came home to a strange cat with babies on my porch

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to the beach this last weekend and we arrived home yesterday to find a momma cat had given birth to kittens in the bushes outside my back door. I manage an apartment complex so people dump cats all the time. Our policy is service animals only so tenants will sometimes pick up kittens and try and secretly keep them. They usually end up turning them loose outside so who knows where she came from

Poor thing, I brought her inside and stuck the new family in my sons closet. She is not happy with Keller or my bottle baby (now 10 weeks old) so we are trying to keep everyone seperate. I am going to give her some time to settle in and then see if a local rescue can take them...I feel bad but I just can't have them right now...or maybe I can...uggggg, I don't know what to do!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pictures of the cat and kittens (5), it doesn't look like she is doing a really good job of cleaning up, should I be worried?

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG! I'm in love! They are so cute. I love kittens even though I spay any cat that shows up at my door.

Is she only leaving the one messy or just not sure of what to do yet? If it's just one she may be abandoning it.

I wish I had more experience with just born litters, but the last one of my own cats who had kitens was in '96, and the rescue that snuck a litter in last year only had one that lived. I don't recall that I ever saw one left messy for long before though...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes if the kittens were born and cleaned outside, they may not be in good shape. Or its because she is a young mother. Hope you can find a foster home soon to care for them.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is slightly O/T, but am I understanding this correctly? You as the manager can have pets, but the tenants of the building you manage cannot?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She looks pretty young to be a mom.
The toms are so aggressive that the queens outside have little choice but to get mated with. I would start cleaning and bottle feeding (supplementing) the kittens to take some of the pressure off her. Sometimes, they just don't know what to do and can become so stressed they just shut down on the care of the family.

Thanks for not leaving the family outside, they are at great risk and if you can get them inside safely ALL OF THEM, than that is great!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goodness, you must be thinking..."AGAIN?"
I'm sorry, but then again I'm glad they have you to be their angel.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

This is slightly O/T, but am I understanding this correctly? You as the manager can have pets, but the tenants of the building you manage cannot?
Yes, I can have pets as I am not a tenant of the HUD, low-income housing complex. I do live on site but I am an employee of the management company. The tenants are very accepting of this, surprisingly.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has cleaned up some. The kittens were still messy and wet when we found them and she hadn't even cleaned herself up yet. My son found them because he heard her crying, I think while giving birth. He sat by the bush while I cleaned up the closet and laid the blankets down for them. Some of the mess is from that. She has since cleaned up some of the poopy mess. Maybe the kitten stimulated himself while crawling around?

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

Yes, I can have pets as I am not a tenant of the HUD, low-income housing complex. I do live on site but I am an employee of the management company. The tenants are very accepting of this, surprisingly.
Thanks for answering. I was just curious. Seems odd, but I guess there are good reasons, like not being able to afford them and take good care of them.

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Thanks for answering. I was just curious. Seems odd, but I guess there are good reasons, like not being able to afford them and take good care of them.
That and the fact that they really don't take care of the apartments so an animal that wasn't taken care of would cause just that much more damage. It's sad but true.

Should the momma still be dripping blood? It isn't just a spot when she sits down, it was dripping as she was eating

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
be sure the babies are dry. Kittens don't stimulate themselves when they are just moving around, it could be the kitten is being suckled by littermates (common suckling happens around the testicles and rectum) If mom is dripping a lot of blood, I would get her to the vet quickly. That is not normal in a regular birth. Spotting yes, but dripping a lot- no

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are some pictures of the motley crew
Sorry for the poor quality, I didn't want to take them very far from mommy

Males

Females

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is doing fine, no more bleeding. She is taking good care of the kittens and they are growing great! We love them already!

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear that they're all doing so well! They are so precious!