Trials with purina, meow mix and science diet are over!! we pick authority!!

dorabella's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Corn, Animal Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Beet Pulp (a source of natural vegetable fiber), Dried Cellulose, Natural Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2 Polyphosphate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement), Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), Taurine.

Thank you all. If not for this site, I would have never been able to be so educated regarding food choices, most importantly, for my furbies. We have finally tried Authority Hairball formula and it seems to suit everyone's needs just fine. I tried science diet for about 2 months and became increasing unhappy with the first ingredient. Nutro never did well for Calvin. Now, I hope in this food to find he keeps his barfing and general unhappiness due to hairballs at a bare minimum just like with the science diet. I also hope his stool firmness increases. Fiber is important, but I was very uncomfy with the 10% for Science Diet compared to Authority's 8%. The phos, mag, ca, and ash numbers are respectable.

We are on a budget, but I am happier that they are the best they can be within my price range.

Thank you, all!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorabella's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can I go back and edit this. initial post? I didn't see features to do so... To my dismay, Calvin's GI [hairballs, loose poo, throwing up, general queasiness] troubles started again, and I am on the science diet. Despite it's less than stellar ingredients, it is the only food that calvin's system agrees with. I guess that is the most important right now.
thanks for reading...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some kittys need extra "junk" to keep things moving right ... You tried and that is all you can do ... It is NOT the first time a cat has done well on a food with less than great ingredients nor will it be the last

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorabella's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

Which Science Diet product are you using that Calvin seems to do best on?
science Diet Hairball-control cat food

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Some kittys need extra "junk" to keep things moving right ... You tried and that is all you can do ... It is NOT the first time a cat has done well on a food with less than great ingredients nor will it be the last
I agree. The lesser of two evils sometimes has to win out. Do you have a cat who pukes all the time on the "premium" food, or do you put kitty on a "lower quality" food and let him live a happy healthy life.

I vote for the happy healthy life!

zoe2009

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Lucky on Authority indoor. It is ok but he is such a canned food freak. He does like the Authority canned too. The one thing I have noticed is that he doesn't poo as much and it is not as smelly. I just wish I could find a way for his pee not to be so smelly. But I do want him on a good food. The indoor formula does help with shedding. I may keep him on it. The indoor will help with hairballs too.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoe2009

I have Lucky on Authority indoor. It is ok but he is such a canned food freak. He does like the Authority canned too. The one thing I have noticed is that he doesn't poo as much and it is not as smelly. I just wish I could find a way for his pee not to be so smelly. But I do want him on a good food. The indoor formula does help with shedding. I may keep him on it. The indoor will help with hairballs too.
Is Lucky neutered? Have you had a urinalysis done on him? His pee should not really have that strong of an odor that you notice it much, if he is neutered.

zoe2009

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, Lucky is neutered. His pee doesn't smell that bad. But I should say I notice it more when his litter box needs cleaned. I guess it is the build up in the litter box. And I never liked the clumping kind. But he does drink water throughout the day.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is best to keep the litter boxes clean. I mean, pee should not be left long enough to cause odor problems. Cats dislike dirty boxes, and may start peeing and pooping around the house if the boxes are not to their liking.

dirty boxes also can cause urinary tract infections, which are very dangerous, potentially fatal, in male cats.

Ideally one cat should have two boxes. Two cats should have three boxes, etc.

Scoop out pee and poop at least once a day, preferably twice, and dump and scrub the litter boxes once a week.

I don't like clumping litter either. I have three cats, four boxes, and use old fashioned clay litter, scoop the boxes as soon as they are used when I am home to do it, and dump and scrub once a week.