New kitten and Dusty's health

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We acquired Squeak about a month ago, much to the disapproval of our 6 yr. old resident cat Dusty. Dusty has early CRF, and wouldn't eat any of the prescription food, and just wasn't eating much of anything. She is on twice weekly doses of Calcitriol, and is pretty good about drinking water and keeping hydrated. It is a real struggle to get the Calcitriol down her, so I don't want to increase her meds and stress her out any more than necessary. We've made the decision that her quality of lie is more important than the quantity.

So, an old lady of 6.5 yrs. now has a baby sister who is a rambunctious 3 mo. old! Dusty is ignoring Squeak for the most part, but if Squeak gets to close, Dusty will hiss and swat (though she's not made contact yet).

But the positive outcome of Squeak's arrival is Dusty's increased appetite! It's like she doesn't want Squeak to get any of HER food, so she is now eating 1/2 can or more of her favorite Fancy Feast at a sitting. Before Squeak, I was lucky if she would eat 3 or 4 bites and walk away. I was throwing out nearly a can a day, because she wouldn't eat it if it had been sitting out too long, or if it had been in the refrigerator. The ad news is that I am going through 3 cans of food a day, plus dry! But Dusty is looking better, has more energy, and appears to be gaining weight, all good things!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrific news! I have seen positive behaviors come from new additions myself, so understand your joy!

I am sorry to hear of Dusty's early CRF, but I agree with quality over quantity. If she is only swatting and hissing, it doesn't sound like she really objects to Squeak as much as she would like you to believe

Have you tried warming left over food? I would run hot water over Ootay's (rb 5/09) dish, put a little fancy feast in, and stir it around to absorb the heat of the dish. If it still felt cold I would let the dish sit in another dish of hot water for a few moments. Stir again

Ootay was picky about her meals too and would not eat from a dish that contained more than a teaspoon of food at a time. And would leave half of that, so I would have to follow her and put the dish in front of her again, after making a to-do of pushing the remaining food into a small pile in the middle of the dish.

The things we do for love....and worth every second.

Congratulations on your new family member and Dusty's appetite!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Squeak is giving Dusty a reason to stay spritely!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm thinking! Dusty appears to be PO'd, but she isn't always hissing and swatting. Sometimes they are together in the kitchen waiting to be fed and they both mind their manners. I have hope!

Meanwhile Dusty is eating better, and appears to have more energy, and that is really good. Maybe the old girl has a few more years left.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

That's what I'm thinking! Dusty appears to be PO'd, but she isn't always hissing and swatting. Sometimes they are together in the kitchen waiting to be fed and they both mind their manners. I have hope!

Meanwhile Dusty is eating better, and appears to have more energy, and that is really good. Maybe the old girl has a few more years left.
Dusty may be hissing and swatting for your benefit. (Oh look, mom's watching. I'd better teach this youn'un some manners!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Dusty may be hissing and swatting for your benefit. (Oh look, mom's watching. I'd better teach this youn'un some manners!)
Never thought of that! You could be right!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to give you something to look forward to I will tell you my story. Fiona and Rocko have never been best friends. When I got Rocko she would swat his face every single day, numerous times. She would hiss and growl when he attempted to play with her. She started also eating the dry food every single time he would go to eat. Needless to say at the last vet appt she was overweight.

I caught them sleeping together a few weeks ago!
Its been a year and a half since I got him. She won't even sleep with me!
I woke up and they were on the easy chair back to back sleeping. It was something I thought I would never see.

I think they will be friends before you know it!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Just to give you something to look forward to I will tell you my story. Fiona and Rocko have never been best friends. When I got Rocko she would swat his face every single day, numerous times. She would hiss and growl when he attempted to play with her. She started also eating the dry food every single time he would go to eat. Needless to say at the last vet appt she was overweight.

I caught them sleeping together a few weeks ago!
Its been a year and a half since I got him. She won't even sleep with me!
I woke up and they were on the easy chair back to back sleeping. It was something I thought I would never see.

I think they will be friends before you know it!
That's a terrific story, thanks for sharing!