TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › New kitty, Oreo :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New kitty, Oreo :)

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I am now the proud mommy of my second cat. She's a darling black and white long haired mix with a tiny meow and a large purr. She's still acclimating to my apartment, but she seems to be settling well,

My other kitty, Jessie, is not. He's hissing at her when she gets to close, sometimes he growls, he's batted at her at least once and chased her around the apartment at least one (I don't know what they were up to last night when I was sleeping.)

I think its gonna take time for him. If it happens at all. I hope it does. I'm just glad that she's such a calm cat she doesn't seem interested in fighting with him, or I'd be separating two hissing balls of fur instead of being purposefully watchful of two cats staring at each other across the room.

Her previous meowmy said that if it doesn't work out in a few weeks that we can find her a new home. But to be honest, I think I'm already in love with her. Pictures coming soon.
post #2 of 18
Did you do a slow introduction? If you just throw them in together, they will usually work it out, but not always. Watch for tail pointing straight up (good news).
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Did you do a slow introduction? If you just throw them in together, they will usually work it out, but not always. Watch for tail pointing straight up (good news).
Didn't have a separate room to put Oreo in. Her owner brought her in a cat carrier, then released her into my apartment. Unfortunately the only room with a closed door is my bedroom, which is also my office where my computer and tv and everything is, my livingroom in my apartment is actually a bit of a cat space where I let Jessie run around and play, all his toys and climbing gym are there. Then there's a bathroom which is tiny and claustrophobic, wouldn't subject either of them to that.

Fortunately, they seem to be staying away from each other on purpose right now. Hopefully they will work it out.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Here are pictures, and a video, of my new kitty. I also have moved all my pictures of Jessie to flickr, forgot I closed my old website down.

Oreo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4062497...7622194660340/

Jessie: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4062497...7622070052923/

My cat videos (and other videos) http://www.youtube.com/user/strangeseraph

Enjoy!
post #5 of 18
Oreo is beautiful, but that balcony scared me immediately!
post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Oreo is beautiful, but that balcony scared me immediately!
Heheh, the balcony scared me the first day I moved in here! But its closed in so the cats can't get out or fall, I have pigeon netting that keeps the balcony free of birds. Jessie has never tried to climb it or jump onto the railing. Big chicken wire mess keeps the railing safe from pigeons coming in as well. It makes me feel safe about letting them out there.
post #7 of 18
I wondered if there was something there I couldn't see!
post #8 of 18
Congratulations on your new family member, welcome Oreo!

It might take time, but Jessie will come around.

Smell is everything to a cat. Intermingle smells by rubbing a towel on each, then put that towel under Jessie's food.

Have at least two, preferably three litter boxes.

Get on the floor for Games every night, soon they will be so involved playing with you they will forget about each other for a few minutes.

Put a drop of vanilla (cooking vanilla, not perfume) on the nose and root of tail of each cat, this makes them smell the same.

Until Oreo has had a check up from your own vet, it's better that they don't get too close yet anyway.

and keep pics and vids coming!
post #9 of 18
I love Oreo's "splatter face!" You're right, she IS adorable!

Enjoy!

Cally
post #10 of 18
Oreo is adorable.
post #11 of 18
Awww Oreo is adorable!!! We just got a new kitten about a month or two ago. At first all the cats hissed at her, even my nice and loving cat. But after a week or so almost all the cats accepted her and even played with her, the ones who didnt really "accept" her all the way were the two older cats, but they pretty much dont accept any of our cats lol, they sort of ignore them. The one thing I noticed in our cats is if the others saw me with Kamie, I would get these stares at me, so I made sure to pay attention and love on all the animals. Good Luck!
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
Heheh, the balcony scared me the first day I moved in here! But its closed in so the cats can't get out or fall, I have pigeon netting that keeps the balcony free of birds. Jessie has never tried to climb it or jump onto the railing. Big chicken wire mess keeps the railing safe from pigeons coming in as well. It makes me feel safe about letting them out there.
She is gorgeous indeed!!!!
Does the net go all the way to the top?
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalima View Post
She is gorgeous indeed!!!!
Does the net go all the way to the top?
Yes it does. I live on the 11th floor so pidgeons and birds are always a problem. The bird netting has markers on it to show birds that there is a barrier there, to keep them from landing and pooping on the railings. Its very safe, I've lived here for a year and not a single bird has come on my balcony. They like my window ledges though, I have to put up with them pooping on those. XD
post #14 of 18
Aww... they're both adorable! I'm sure Jessie will come around. Oreo is too cute to resist!
post #15 of 18
Very cute cats. I'm sure they will be friends soon?
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Success! Jessie has stopped growling and hissing, and is actually letting her come near him, albeit cautiously. They were running around after each other last night and there was a bit of batting of paws but right now they are being neutral. Yay!

Thanks everybody for the support! Lets hope they learn quickly they can be playmates too!
post #17 of 18
YAY! I foresee lovely Cat Piles in your future!
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecat View Post
Yes it does. I live on the 11th floor so pidgeons and birds are always a problem. The bird netting has markers on it to show birds that there is a barrier there, to keep them from landing and pooping on the railings. Its very safe, I've lived here for a year and not a single bird has come on my balcony. They like my window ledges though, I have to put up with them pooping on those. XD
That is SO cool that they have a balcony!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › New kitty, Oreo :)