Question of the day - Monday, August 31st

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Folks!

Goooooood moooooorniiiinnnngggg!

The question today is about.... Fears and Phobias

It is believed that around 10% population suffer from phobias. Did you know that there are studies that show cultural history? For example, a fear of spiders may be passed down from the Middle Ages when spiders were associated with the plague, as victims' deserted homes became shrouded in cobwebs!!

I am Claustrophobic.... luckily I am fine inside of airplanes, as for most of my adult and professional life I was required to travel extensively.... But my biggest fear is to be locked in an elevator, or confined into a small space...... I even need to sleep with my feet uncovered, outside of the blanket!!!

So, do you have a phobia? if not, what is your biggest fear?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SPIDERS!!!!!! I freak when I see them on the TV......Over the years it has gotten much worse for me. My fear of possibly finding or walking into a web has stopped me from doing things. I walk around my home and outdoors on constant lookout for them. The worst is that I am a gardener/landscaper and they come with the job! I have nightmares often about them, and get very frustrated that I stop myself from doing things I want to because I fear the possibility of one being there.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heights for me. I get really brave and climb the stairs to a ride or water slide then once I'm up there I cannot go on the ride or back down the stairs until Kieran comes up to get me and leads me back down.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Heights for me. I get really brave and climb the stairs to a ride or water slide then once I'm up there I cannot go on the ride or back down the stairs until Kieran comes up to get me and leads me back down.
Here are 2 photos of me para sailing at 400 feet (with Kieran). I'm going back to do it again in the new year at 800 feet. It's weird I'm more frightened being at the top of a flight of stairs then being high in the air? and I love flying - so maybe it's a fear of falling??

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a fear of water and not being able to breathe. I panic if my feet won't touch the bottom.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Claustrophobia, large crowds of people and making phone calls.

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heights, small spaces, and snakes.

My left arm goes numb when I see a snake. That started when I saw some baby birds on the ground and looked up and there was a huge snake above my head eating the other eggs in the nest. Now every time I see a snake my left arm goes numb and I get a bit nauseous.

As far as heights go....there was a time we went to Six Flags and my dad put me in the sky bucket and I was screaming before we even left he platform.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am actually pretty good when it comes to fears and phobias. There are a few things that I don't like, spiders, high places, public speaking, and such but I can deal with them if I have to.
I think the only thing that really sends me into a panic is being underground. There is no way you would ever get me to go into a cave. While in school one of our school trips was to the big Nickel Mine in Sudbury Ontario. I couldn't go down in the mine, the thought of it scared the you know what out of me...My teacher was great though and let me stay up in the control room while everyone else went down. I didn't even realize I had a problem with it until that day.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Large crowds, getting lost, clausterphobic to a certain degree, unsecured heights (ex. I'm fine in an airplane, not fine on a ladder....but if that ladder had a cage around it or I was secured somehow, I'd be fine)......me thinks those are the big ones

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Crowds, heights, flying and/or jumping insects, deep water. Alzheimers, becoming homeless. Hmm, any thing I have no control over it looks like.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wasps/hornets/bees
I literally freeze when one is around me! I dont think I have ever been stung, so dont know where this one comes from. Im ok with spiders except really freaked out by tiny ones - tarantula, no problem. Also dont like those daddy-long-legs things, but wouldnt call it a fear/phobia

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am terrified of snakes, and I don't know why.
I also hate heights and crossing bridges. Actually, it's probably more a fear of drowning than the actual bridge-crossing. I get nauseous at the thought of not being able to breathe.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Claustrophobia, large crowds of people and making phone calls.
I have a fear of making phone calls also. The only person I don't have that with is my husband, other than that I hate it.

I'm also afraid of falling (I absolutely cannot stand the sensation of free falling) and being confined or held down. I'm not claustrophobic at all, I just panic when I'm held down or tied up, or I otherwise feel like I can't move. I'm also not afraid of heights at all.

I used to be afraid of spiders, but not so much anymore. I suppose if I were to see a gigantic spider I would freak out, but I think just about anyone would at that point. lol

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Driving. I've got to get past this, I haven't driven in years and it really holds me back from going alot of places.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spiders are my biggest fear. Even as a little child I was totally incapacitated by spiders. When I bought my first home, I would call my dad, who lived a couple of blocks away, to come over and kill them for me. I have a half dozen bottles of spider spray, placed strategically around the house (but I put a piece of duct tape over the spider picture on the can.) Just a picture in a book, or a flash across the TV while flipping channels will make my blood pressure go up and my heart race.

Wouldn't you know...I was bitten by a brown recluse, on my hand, about 5 years ago. Now I set off a bug bomb the night before in my shed, to try to lower the population of 8 legged creepy crawlers. Yuck!!!