Constipated cat

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruby is constipated
Has anyone ever used baby supositories on a cat before? The vet didnt have any appointments today so she's scheduled for Monday 1pm (earliest available) but she's straining and really uncomfortable. She had a small BM Wednesday night/Thursday morning but since then she hasnt been able to go. Any suggestions? Why do these thing always happen on weekends?!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Ruby is constipated
Has anyone ever used baby supositories on a cat before? The vet didnt have any appointments today so she's scheduled for Monday 1pm (earliest available) but she's straining and really uncomfortable. She had a small BM Wednesday night/Thursday morning but since then she hasnt been able to go. Any suggestions? Why do these thing always happen on weekends?!
CALL the vet - even if they don't have an appointment, they would be able to answer your question over the phone, or at least give you a call back...

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't recommend it at all. I'd call the vet or the e-vet and find out what to do. Also, you can add some plain canned pumpkin to her diet to see if that helps.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I wouldn't recommend it at all. I'd call the vet or the e-vet and find out what to do. Also, you can add some plain canned pumpkin to her diet to see if that helps.

Pumpkin usually works very well. Use 1/4 teaspoon mixed into each of Ruby's meals. Most cats like the taste of pumpkin and will eat it readily. Make sure to get plain canned pumpkin, without added spices. Use the pumpkin in all meals for at least 2 days - you should see results within this time.

Olive oil is also usually tolerated by cats and can be mixed into the food as well. Use 1/8 teaspoon for each meal.

Also add a little water to the food and mix it in. Make sure Ruby is drinking - keeping her well-hydrated will help her system get going. Exercise will help that too.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something else that might help is adding some canned food to her diet if she'll eat it. If you're supplementing dry with canned, try increasing the amount of canned and decreasing the amount of dry and see if that helps.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Ruby is all better!

I use hairball remedy for constipation, it works for me... but if she hasn't gone after you try something suggested I would get her to a vet asap.