The "As Seen On TV" Tread!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK folks...'fess up...what informercial/As Seen On TV products have you purchased, do you want to purchase, or do you wonder if they really do what is claimed on the TV?

I have 3:

Magic Bullet - Works fine as a blender with the blender attachment, but isn't anything amazing. It is handy in that it doesn't take up very much space on your counter (just lots of space for all the parts in your cupboards!)

Slap Chop - My boyfriend bought this one. I think it's useless. It doesn't work all that well and is no less effort than chopping up with a knife.

Green Bags (for fruits and veggies) - I just bought the cheap knock off ones...while they don't seem to work as well as they do on TV (maybe the originals work better), they do seem to make a bit of a difference with certain product. It did nothing to keep my local strawberries from going soft over a couple of days, though.

Things I wonder about (I'm sure there are plenty, but these two come to mind. ShamWow and Dryer Balls - anyone use either of these products?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see:

Time Life Disco CD music collection

I've bought other things, but I really can't remember what. It has been years since I purchased something off an infomercial.

I have purchased off the shopping channel too, not sure if you are counting that or not.

I bought those green bags at a local store called "Showcase". They are original bags. And IMHO don't work
Plus they are a pain to use. You have to wipe out the inside of the bag every single day in order to remove the moisture buildup.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I bought those green bags at a local store called "Showcase". They are original bags. And IMHO don't work
Plus they are a pain to use. You have to wipe out the inside of the bag every single day in order to remove the moisture buildup.
They seemed to work pretty well the one time I tried them. My bananas stayed fresh for about 2.5 weeks. Normally, they go bad within 1 week. I only tried that one time though. I don't eat a whole lot of fruits and vegetables, so I wouldn't get a lot of use from them.

The only As Seen on TV product I can remember buying was the Beavis and Butthead DVD collection about 8 years ago. It was through Time Life and I'll never order anything through them again. I moved shortly afterward and they somehow got my dad's number. For about 8 months after they would call him every couple of weeks and say, "How are you enjoying your Beavis and Butthead DVD's, Mr. X? We have a whole range of other products we think you'll love too!"

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once bought those pasta cookers (the clear containers you put the pasta in and then hot water and they cook quickly). A load of cr**. Unless you like super-duper al dente pasta that's more chewy than a bar of taffy... blech. it wasn't done, really.

my attitude now is to wait six months, they'll be at Target or someplace similar. If I feel like buying it then, I will... I usually don't.

Amanda

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bought one of those glass wizard or something like that things - a stick with a flat bit that swivels, but it works great for tractor window cleaning - just enough reach I dont have to get on a ladder to do the front window. Also works great on the inside of the winshield of the truck. I also paid 2.00 for it at a dollar store.

bookworm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got the Wallet Pics, an electronic gadget that holds 60 digital photos. Easy to load to, but the screen is like one square inch, and after a month in my pocketbook it developed a blotch on the screen.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay my boyfriends dad works at a local food bank and they get a bunch of random stuff donated there so we usually go through it (since they cant give it out since its not food!) and a lot of it is stuff that was as seen on tv and went to drug stores and stuff. So heres what I have:

Smooth away: Yeah... thats a bunch of crap! These are just really fine grit pieces of sand paper and they dont work! They work okay on small areas (They do come in handy when you missed that one stripe on your calf!) But to do your entire legs, it took probably 20 minutes.... not my idea of fun!

Aqua Globe: Call me Lazy, but I LOVE THESE! I have a really bad time remember to water Paul our Peace Lilly. He lives on a high book case and I dont pay much attention to him honestly! But all I do is refill this once every week or so and he stays happy and perky!

Sham-wow: Didnt work so great for drying cars, but thats all we tried it on

White Light: used to whiten teeth. Actually seemed to work but was EXTREMELY awkward to use! You had to hold it in your mouth for 15 minutes and it was just weird!

Pedi-paws: We have one of these at work but we just usually use a drimmel. But it is nice that it has the guide so you dont get too short!

Coldheat soldering tool: Got one for my boyfriend a few years back. He never really used it. It worked okay on some things but he just stuck to his regular soldering iron!

As for the slap chop, I have one from Pampered Chef and love it! Its a great little gadget!

LOL I find these amusing to try, but like I said we dont have to pay for them!

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally I think most of these "As Seen On TV" products are crap. I think the commercials just play on people's stupidity. In fact, I've never bought anything I've seen advertised on TV. Or rather, I've never bought something because of the advertisement. I buy things because I actually need or want it, not because some advertisement put thoughts in my head.

My mother recently purchased the HD Night Vision glasses at the As Seen on TV store in the mall. The glasses are supposed to reduce night driving glare and eye strain. They are the most useless thing ever. They're nothing but sunglasses. They don't reduce the glare at all. The store doesn't allow returns, only exchanges, so she's stuck with them.

My grandma and aunt have bought things and they've been unhappy with what they bought too. The only exception is that my aunt just loves the Snuggie. I hate that d*mn thing. I seriously question the intelligence of anyone who buys it. If you're that cold just double layer and put on a hat. That's what I do and I have no complaints. Plus, I still have an extra $15-$20 in my wallet that you don't.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Things I wonder about (I'm sure there are plenty, but these two come to mind. ShamWow and Dryer Balls - anyone use either of these products?
Don't waste your time with the ShamWow.

Yes, it soaks up a substantial amount of water (say if you spill a full glassful) but it does not dry without leaving a trail of water spots, etc.

My neighbour gave me one, I cut it up and use it as dish clothes.... works great for that.
But definately NOT worth the $10-20 I see them priced at.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok this is going to sound sooooo bad!!! But I want the boob dohickey thinger!! Im not allowed to buy it but when I see the commercial and BF isnt around Im whipping out the phone and the mac card and getting it...I want bigger boobs without the surgery! LMAO!!! I know cheesey but what the heck and I feel the same about Snuggies...They are lame..Ive got a perfectly good woobie blanket that everyone loves....BF is snuggled on the couch with it at this moment..

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never actually bought anything from As Seen on TV. But I did spend 2 days across the aisle from a Sham Wow salesman at the Kansas City Pet Expo (I was vending Auntie Em Creations things). I could almost recite the sales pitch by the end of those 2 days. The thing that I've heard they work the best on: wet dogs. The thing that helped me the best about them: the salesman really drew in crowds, who when done with his sales pitch, wandered into my booth.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a Turbo-cooker years ago, don't think they sell them anymore, but it's great.

The Nu-Wave oven was fun at first, but now I've gone back to cooking the old-fashioned way and it just sits there on the counter.

Ped-eggs are wondeful, I've even heard the men at work talk about how much they like them.

My supervisor has the Sham-Wow and says it's awful.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody, but I think the Snuggies are so funny looking. That family on the commercial all wearing them at a ballgame look like a bunch of cult members.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a magic Bullett too I find it works great and takes up vary little space, When I was in College it was great for making my morning protein shakes and I love making salsa and gwock with it.
The "point and paint" works I mean what's that complicated?
We also have a "Peticure" which files the dog's nails just fine but the smell of burnt hair gets to you after a while.
We also bought a "Shed-ender" It's basically a flea comb and the dog hates it it pulls and dosn't lift the undercoat it just pulls out fur. I would not recomend it unless your trying to piss off your pet. I never even tried it on the cat she has even less patience with such things.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I've never actually bought anything from As Seen on TV. But I did spend 2 days across the aisle from a Sham Wow salesman at the Kansas City Pet Expo (I was vending Auntie Em Creations things). I could almost recite the sales pitch by the end of those 2 days. The thing that I've heard they work the best on: wet dogs. The thing that helped me the best about them: the salesman really drew in crowds, who when done with his sales pitch, wandered into my booth.
SHAM WOW!!! I've seen the sales pitch at our Farmer's Market. They had two booths set up and they recited that pitch over and over and over....
I have friends who bought some, and they love them for camping. The commercial just cracks me up when I see it as it's so over the top! SHAM WOW!!! How did you ever live without it?

My DH is not allowed to order from TV without my express permission. He's a bit of a shopping channel watcher.
I did let him order the Banjo minnows quite a few years ago, and while he's not out there catching giant bass, he has got a fair bit of use out of them. Mind you, you could probably buy the same lures in the dollar store.

Whenever I see those commercials I'm reminded of that movie with Ben Stiller and Joe Black about the Va-Poo-rizer. But where does the poo go?
Now that I could actually use!

SHAM WOW!!!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the record, to the OP, dryer balls really do work and I know and have heard from many people that swear by them. My mom has some that she uses all the time.
They are great also if you line dry and want to fluff you clothes in the dryer with no heat after they are dry.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

Ped-eggs are wondeful, I've even heard the men at work talk about how much they like them.
I bought the ped egg and it was the biggest waste of $15 ever. My boss bought one too and hates it. I gave mine to my sister and she said she doesn't like it either.

I want to buy the bumpits. We sell them at work and I like them, but everytime I go to buy it we are sold out.

I have the H20 mop and I like it so far (only bought it on Monday). It leaves the floor clean without the normal mopping streaks.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't watch TV very often, so I don't get the exposure. I have seen an occasional item, and thought, "How cool..." I will write down the website, and tuck it away in my purse. When I find it a couple of weeks later, I don't remember what was so intriguing and throw it away. I guess I'm pretty lucky...I haven't wasted any money on "As Seen On TV" stuff!

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lets see...

We got the Ped-egg, the Aquaglobe (they are amazing), The Swivel Sweeper (that was THE biggest waste of money EVER we got rid of it and got a Dyson Ball), The Toby steamer and my husband got some books on real estate. Oh yeah and someone gave me a magic bullet for my bridal shower..haven't used it yet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't buy off the TV....I'll wait until it's at Wal-Mart or Target and MAYBE I'll buy it. If it still looks good.

Those floor steamers are pretty good. I've seen TV ads for a few different brands, but my mom only bought a Bissell, so I can't say how well the other brands work. I should buy one; I have a lot more hard floors than my mom does, but so far I just borrow hers every now and then

The Slap Chop is pretty bad. Too much work to clean and it doesn't really work.

I bought some dryer balls and they do work, but one ripped open after a month or so (they're made of a fairly soft plastic). I found some knockoff dryer balls in the laundry aisle for half the price, and they're made of a tougher material, too.

I want to try the Aquaglobe, but all my houseplants are in smallish pots so I don't know if they'd fit.

The Snuggie infomercial cracks me up. I mean, if someone gets that hot and bothered over getting tangled in the blanket, they should get some professional help, IMO. And the one older guy in his burgundy Snuggie looks like a priest of some sort, LOL.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I don't buy off the TV....I'll wait until it's at Wal-Mart or Target and MAYBE I'll buy it. If it still looks good.

Those floor steamers are pretty good. I've seen TV ads for a few different brands, but my mom only bought a Bissell, so I can't say how well the other brands work. I should buy one; I have a lot more hard floors than my mom does, but so far I just borrow hers every now and then

The Slap Chop is pretty bad. Too much work to clean and it doesn't really work.

I bought some dryer balls and they do work, but one ripped open after a month or so (they're made of a fairly soft plastic). I found some knockoff dryer balls in the laundry aisle for half the price, and they're made of a tougher material, too.

I want to try the Aquaglobe, but all my houseplants are in smallish pots so I don't know if they'd fit.

The Snuggie infomercial cracks me up. I mean, if someone gets that hot and bothered over getting tangled in the blanket, they should get some professional help, IMO. And the one older guy in his burgundy Snuggie looks like a priest of some sort, LOL.
Paul - My Peace Lilly is in a fairly small pot and it seems to work fine, but we have the globe propped up against the wall just to be safe!

And just an amusing little fact: They have Snuggie pub crawls now! Everyone must either wear a snuggie or an outfit made out of a snuggie. They seem pretty funny, but I've only seen them online!