Dog showing question..?!?!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not sure if anyone on here knows about this but Ill ask anyways...Does anyone know about showing dogs. Ive got a papers miniature dacschund and many people Ive shown pics to or have seen him have expressed an interest in showing him or him being shown! There is even a breeder who regularly comes into my work who is adament that I show Franklin...Im quite hesistent about it because one I heard its super expensive to do and 2 because if I would show him I cant get him neutered! If anyone has any info about this please share!! Im interested in learning about it and deciding whether or not I should get Franklin into something like this!
*tyler*

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does he meet the correct Daschshund standards? If he has any faults and if he is neutered,he cannot be shown.Dog shows are about the dog's standards and what they were originally bred to do and he must be as close to the standard as possible to be shown.

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When it comes to showing there are two options, you can:

(1) Heir a professional handler
(2) Take some classes

Taking some classes anyway would probably be a good idea, just so you get to know what's going on.

In canada you need to win (I believe Best in Show?) 10 times to have you dog labeled a champion, it is expensive but well worth it IF You want to breed.

Probably the best thing to do it talk to local breeders who do show and ask them for advice. Also look around and see how frequently there are dog show in your area & how far away you're going to have to travel.

you can always do one or two shows just for fun & to see if you like it

nes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

...If he has any faults and if he is neutered,he cannot be shown...
You can show if they are neutered they just can't win best in show & possibly best of breed if I remember correctly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does meet all the breed standards...his coloring is dappled..the standard black and brown with grey spots he is quite unique looking to me because Ive only ever seen black and brown or the "red" doxies.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He does meet all the breed standards...his coloring is dappled..the standard black and brown with grey spots he is quite unique looking to me because Ive only ever seen black and brown or the "red" doxies.
Dapple doxie's are dime a dozen here.

Anyway what you need to do is take him to a show in your area and have a judge evaluate him. The judge will be able to tell you if he has a chance or not in the show ring.

Your breeder should also be able to tell you because if they are a reputable breeder who shows their dogs, they should have had the litter evaluated. I imagine the breeder should have told you whether or not the pup was show quality, the price should have also reflected that as well.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are interested in showing him I would suggest that you...

Enroll in conformation classes. Many training centers and dog clubs have these classes available.

Join a Doxie club in your state or get in touch with some breeders to get their opinions on whether or not he meets the standard for the breed.

Look into registering him with UKC instead of dealing with an intact pet. UKC allows alters to be shown.

Originally Posted by Plebayo

Your breeder should also be able to tell you because if they are a reputable breeder who shows their dogs, they should have had the litter evaluated. I imagine the breeder should have told you whether or not the pup was show quality, the price should have also reflected that as well.
Yes, if the breeder shows their dogs they should be able to help you. However, sometimes a dog that is sold as pet quality will still do well in the show ring. Evaluating a puppy is not 100%, but the breeder may not have had any other show homes on the list so pups may be sold to companion homes instead. I have a friend who shows her "pet quality" Cavalier and she's done quite well so far.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Show dogs cannot be neutered or spayed.

I would contact the breeder and ask to see if he's worthy. Or you can just enter him in a few shows and have him evaluated. If he turns out not to be show quality after all - then neuter him.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Show dogs cannot be neutered or spayed.
AKC does not allow spayed or neutered...UKC does allow spayed or neutered dogs to compete in conformation. Individual breed clubs often allow spays/neuters to compete as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His breeder told me if she was going to show one of her pups it was going to be him and his "twin" who was long haired..She ended up with 2 long hairs and 2 smooth coats and they were mix and match twins....I have the papers on him and his dam and sire were good show dogs and I have him currently registered with the American Canine Association is that different from AKC? well obviously it is but how different..I gotta get on google since I got called off this morning and look up some doxie clubs and get in contact with someone! His breeder is hard to get ahold of sometimes...She busy with grandkids and her own 3 dogs

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nes

You can show if they are neutered they just can't win best in show & possibly best of breed if I remember correctly.
Not here.Dogs in conformation shows cannot be fixed.
Unless they changed this.I used to be really into shows and wanted to be a handler,so I learned alot.

I admit though,I have not been keeping up with the rules lately...so if they changed them,I am unaware.But as far as I know,a show dog cannot be neutered or spayed.

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's ACA? That's American Canine Association.....another recently popped up paper registry, similar to Continental Kennel Club and APRI. I don't believe ACA has conformation events...if they DO I would be very doubtful as to the quality of the entries...sorry
Maybe it's AKC?? Double check.

No, AKC nor CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) NOR UKC allows s/n dogs in conformation; however, CKC does have alter classes at specialty shows...however these classes are nonregular classes and do not count towards championship...i.e. no points are awarded. Now you can show in Veterans sweepstakes if your dog is s/n....and in regular veterans classes at independent specialties only..but NONE of this will apply to your dog.

To achieve Canadian championship a dog must accrue ten points, under three different judges with at least a 2 point win included in those ten points. My bitch just recently finished her Canadian championship in two weekends with two three point "majors" (a major is 3, 4 or 5 points--same in AKC) and four additional points. You don't ever have to win BIS. To achieve AKC championship your dog must earn 15 points with two major wins (3, 4, or 5 points) under at least 3 different judges. I have finished several AKC champions as well.

If your Dachshund is ACA registered and not AKC registered, honestly I would forget about it and just have him neutered...sounds like it is more others' idea than yours re: showing anyway!
Just neuter and enjoy him. If he is AKC and you are truly interested then talk to the breeder, research the standard, etc.....

I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions!

allmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I meant to say I am not 100% sure re: UKC and alter classes. I do show UKC sometimes, just for fun and practice for AKC shows, but I don't THINK an altered dog can earn championship or grand points...not sure, but am sure of the other two registries' policies.

Also meant to add HOW those points are earned. They are earned by a winner of one of the classes (such as puppy, bred-by, open, etc...)...all the class winners come together into the "Winners Class" and from that you get Winners Bitch and Winners Dog...WB and WD are the only two animals in that breed to earn championship points on that day. Then they go in to Best of Breed with the champions and vie for Best of Winners (or if lucky Best of Breed over specials!
that's always fun
). BW receives the most points; for example if there are only two "class" (non champion) dogs, but there were 9 bitches, then there was only 1 point in dogs but 3 points in bitches (hypothetically). If the WD goes BW over the WB then he gets the number of point she has earned and thus walks away with a major win even though he only beat one other male (because he indirectly has now beaten all of the class bitches) Clear as mud???
My husband has been running around with me for almost 11 years now and he STILL gets confused

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allmycats

Are you sure it's ACA? That's American Canine Association.....another recently popped up paper registry, similar to Continental Kennel Club and APRI. I don't believe ACA has conformation events...if they DO I would be very doubtful as to the quality of the entries...sorry
Sorry, but I have not read good things about ACA - that they are basically a 'scam' registry.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ACA is generally considered to be a puppymill registry. But they do have events, you'd just have to find one: http://www.acacanines.com/

Dog showing is expensive and time consuming. It's a real commitment. Most pet owners should just have their dog spayed/neutered and do normal pet stuff.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally if your dog is ACA not AKC I would suggest just having him neutered, or show him just for fun if you want. The ACA titles really mean nothing because they are not a reputable kennel club, but if you think it would be fun and don't mind giving your money to them then go for it.